What are appropiate ways to clean essix retainers?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cblackbraces

What are appropiate ways to clean essix retainers?

#1 Post by cblackbraces »

After I got my retainers, they told me just to clean them with cold water and toothpaste. Making sure not to use hot water on them becuase they could melt. They also said not to soak them in moutwash.

Is it safe to soak then in Efferdent? Or something similar for other removable appliaences?
I feel like doing that would be easier for me. I"m always dropping them in the sink while trying to brush them it drives me crazy.

Thanks!

bbsadmin

Re: What are appropiate ways to clean essix retainers?

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Efferdent and The cleaner that starts with the letter P that has been used in spam posts, so it's censored. will turn your retainer yellow over time.

Mouthwash will not remove the plaque buildup effectively, and your retainer will have white residue.

The best way to clean your retainers is to use a product meant for that purpose: Retainer Brite (which was developed by the company that makes Essix retainers) or SonicBrite. If you prefer a cleaner that is persulfate-free, then there is DentaSoak or Cleanse Fresh & Go. All of these products are available at http://www.dentakit.com/for-retainers.html

I want to add that you should not brush Essix retainers with a toothbrush. That will scratch the retainer and create new places to harbor bacteria.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

cblackbraces

#3 Post by cblackbraces »

Thanks!

I wonder why they told me to brush them! That makes me concerned they will deteriorate faster. I'll have to ask at my first post de-bracing appointment!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

They told you to brush them because they don't know any better. Brushing Essix retainers is NOT recommended by the manufacturer.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

believer1964

#5 Post by believer1964 »

perhaps use a q tip instead of a toothbrush?

#6 Post by 33333 »

P has a product that is specifically for retainer and mouth guard. Anyone knows if that might turn the essix/vivera yellow?

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

What do you mean by P? If you are referring to the brand of denture cleaning tablets, they are not recommended for retainers. A denture tablet company tried to launch a retainer cleaner that was sold in stores about 5 years ago, but the product failed and was discontinued. Is that the one you are referring to?

#8 Post by 33333 »

I was referring to this:

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en- ... oductTab=3

"Tablet cleanser specifically designed to clean orthodonic retainers. Also suitable for sportsguards and nightguards, cleans in 5 minutes. Safe on metal and acrylic."

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

That is an old product which was discontinued years ago. I'm surprised that they're still selling it.

#10 Post by 33333 »

I'm surprised too!!