BarbieGirl's Braces Put on 7/7/08 at age 40

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BarbieGirl

BarbieGirl's Braces Put on 7/7/08 at age 40

#1 Post by BarbieGirl »

After waiting years and years to fix my crooked teeth, I finally had braces put on at age 40. My teeth were always very tight as I have a small mouth but not horribly crooked. However, each time that I looked in the mirror or saw a photo of myself...I hated my teeth. I found a dentist/orthodontist who would fix my teeth without extractions by using interproximal reduction as well--it was important to me not to have teeth pulled.

I am three days into 18+ months of braces and feel pretty good about my decision. I have ceramic braces on both upper and lower.

Anyone have interproximal reduction done?

BarbieGirl
Top and bottom Braces on: July 7, 2008
Elastics on: July 31, 2008
Next appt: September 9, 2008

BraceMouse

Welcome to the over 40 crowd!

#2 Post by BraceMouse »

Hi BarbieGirl!

Yeah! another one for the over 40 crowd! I just got braced on the 8th and will be 42 in September.
I haven't had it done yet, but my ortho plans on doing IPR for me as well.
This is one of the reasons I decided to go forward with this. 2 other orthos wanted to pull 4 teeth. This one said IPR and one lower would do it.

Good luck with everything!

Juliette
Juliette
41 and about to braced :)

LongInTheT

Congratulations on your braces!

#3 Post by LongInTheT »

Congratulations on getting braced!
With the ortho you like and your positive attitude you'll have a good journey.

It is really nice to have over 40s here. Still, but both you and BraceMouse seem like babies to me as I was 55 when I got my braces on April 8th!
Don't want to show ignorance, but what is IPR? Good to avoid losing teeth, anyway.
Good luck!

Long

*click www for my braces story*

lionfish

Re: BarbieGirl's Braces Put on 7/7/08 at age 40

#4 Post by lionfish »

Anyone have interproximal reduction done?
Yes, a few times. IPR involves stripping a small amount of enamel between teeth which have developed "black triangles" at the gum margin from movement (almost always front teeth) and then pulling them together to close the gaps.

browneyedgrl

#5 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Barbiegirl,

Welcome to AW and congrats on starting your journey!

I'm a newbie 40 year old (turned back in April), and I'm a second timer as well. I just celebrated my six month bracerversary today. I have my next appointment in 2.5 weeks and I'm going to have some IPR done on my uppers to make some room. I had IPR the first go around too.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

ckrobyn

#6 Post by ckrobyn »

I just got my braces on Wednesday July 9th :)

I did not want to have any extractions, so I went looking for an ortho who could move my crowded teeth without yanking any of them out! I found one who does the Powerprox six month braces. I did all of the research and decided it was the best route for me to go. I am 41 years old and have hated the dentist for as long as I can remember - hence I neglected my teeth for many years, learned to talk and smile without showing my teeth - and accepted that because I was not willing to make a sacrifice and feel some discomfort during braces that I would learn to just live with my crooked teeth.

Rewind to October 2007 when I had to have 2 wisdom teeth removed. I was petrified but went through it with local anesthetic only and no sedation. I decided if I could get through that, I could deal with braces.

I went on the hunt for an ortho and as you know I found one that could put me in braces for 6 months fixing my anterior teeth (front 4-6 teeth top and bottom). I don't have bite issues, so this was a perfect fit for me.

Because I have crowding, I need enamel reprox each time I visit the ortho. I had my first round on Wednesday just before the braces went on. I was not prepared for it at all! I'm not sure what I thought it would be, but I was not ready for an industrial strength nail file!!! :o It didn't hurt, just felt really weird. I will have a bit of reprox done at every adjustment. My adjustments will be every 4 weeks, so the first one is August 6th.

So far my teeth feel tight and tingly, but no pain. My biggest issue is the soft tissue inside my mouth where the brackets rub, so wax and I are developing a close personal relationship! I hope my mouth toughens up soon so I can start eating again.

BarbieGirl

IPR sounds like a great option to extractions!

#7 Post by BarbieGirl »

Thank you for the helpful information. I had my bottom two wisdom teeth pulled years ago because they were erupting and probably much of the cause of my tight teeth today. Top wisdom are bony impacted and won't be extracted.

The ortho so far has been great.
BarbieGirl

ckrobyn wrote:I just got my braces on Wednesday July 9th :)

I did not want to have any extractions, so I went looking for an ortho who could move my crowded teeth without yanking any of them out! I found one who does the Powerprox six month braces. I did all of the research and decided it was the best route for me to go. I am 41 years old and have hated the dentist for as long as I can remember - hence I neglected my teeth for many years, learned to talk and smile without showing my teeth - and accepted that because I was not willing to make a sacrifice and feel some discomfort during braces that I would learn to just live with my crooked teeth.

Rewind to October 2007 when I had to have 2 wisdom teeth removed. I was petrified but went through it with local anesthetic only and no sedation. I decided if I could get through that, I could deal with braces.

I went on the hunt for an ortho and as you know I found one that could put me in braces for 6 months fixing my anterior teeth (front 4-6 teeth top and bottom). I don't have bite issues, so this was a perfect fit for me.

Because I have crowding, I need enamel reprox each time I visit the ortho. I had my first round on Wednesday just before the braces went on. I was not prepared for it at all! I'm not sure what I thought it would be, but I was not ready for an industrial strength nail file!!! :o It didn't hurt, just felt really weird. I will have a bit of reprox done at every adjustment. My adjustments will be every 4 weeks, so the first one is August 6th.

So far my teeth feel tight and tingly, but no pain. My biggest issue is the soft tissue inside my mouth where the brackets rub, so wax and I are developing a close personal relationship! I hope my mouth toughens up soon so I can start eating again.

Audra

#8 Post by Audra »

Hi Barbiegirl.

Happy belated Brace-Day!

You and I are the same age and have the same brace day - AND the same expected treatment time!

How are you feeling today? I have had tooth pain all week, but today is getting much better. I might actually be getting used to these things...

BracedVeryLate

#9 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Welcome barbiegirl.
Looks like there is a big 40+ crowd! I am 41 and got my braces on June 5th. My bottom teeth are also very crooked.
I know what you mean about not liking photos. At my baby shower 4 years ago, someone snapped a photo of me and emailed it to me and I couldn't believe my bad teeth!! Now, they are all shiny with metal brackets!!

hope your treatment goes quickly,

take care

catfish

#10 Post by catfish »

Wow - lots of 40+'s here! I'm 48, and got my braces a year ago.

Congrats on your decision to fix your smile BarbieGirl, and good luck with your journey!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

angel84

#11 Post by angel84 »

ongratulations on getting braces! I bet you can barely see them with the ceramice on top and bottome. That's pretty cool!
*SKYE aka Amanda* 25, Army wife and Mommy of 5 ages 10, 5, 3, 19 months, and due in December! :)

Happy40th

Also going on 40 and probably getting IPR

#12 Post by Happy40th »

I got my braces on almost a week ago -- sort of my pre-40th bday gift to myself. Happy with my choice but realizing what a long road it is going to be (2 years). Eating is the pits.

I think IPR must be what my ortho is planning although he hasn't called it that. I had three different consults, with three different treatment plans. I went with the one who said he could straighten and fix overbite without extractions. His solution was to "file down" my front teeth slightly to make room and change the shape of my upper teeth from a "v" to more of a semi-circle with the help of making my front teeth smaller and headgear. Sound familiar?

Glad to see other 40ish folks on here!

BarbieGirl

Re: Also going on 40 and probably getting IPR

#13 Post by BarbieGirl »

Hi and congratulations on your braces journey too! Eating is the pits. I have already popped off a wire from it's bracket when I tried a piece of my daughters real coconut from the shell!

Yes, they will be filing down my front teeth as well as a few others to make room. I refused to have any extractions....

Do you have to wear headgear?

Happy40th wrote:I got my braces on almost a week ago -- sort of my pre-40th bday gift to myself. Happy with my choice but realizing what a long road it is going to be (2 years). Eating is the pits.

I think IPR must be what my ortho is planning although he hasn't called it that. I had three different consults, with three different treatment plans. I went with the one who said he could straighten and fix overbite without extractions. His solution was to "file down" my front teeth slightly to make room and change the shape of my upper teeth from a "v" to more of a semi-circle with the help of making my front teeth smaller and headgear. Sound familiar?

Glad to see other 40ish folks on here!

LongInTheT

IPR

#14 Post by LongInTheT »

Hi, BarbieGirl, hope the braces are going well. Eating will get easier and you will quickly learn what to avoid, BUT I'm not sure having to spend ages cleaning teeth gets easier!

I was interested in IPR as this sounds like what my ortho is eventually going to do, though just to my 2 front top teeth. Anyway, she's going to draw them together (they are 2mm apart) then draw them apart and take off some of each tooth to get rid of the dark triangle and then draw them together again.
All the best, Long

Click on www to read my story

Bracefacegal

#15 Post by Bracefacegal »

Welcome Barbiegirl:

I too am 40 when I got my braces June 4th. Happy brace day to you! Hope you are doing OK!
It's never too late to fix your smile! :)