LongInTheT's story - power chain at work **pic**!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LongInTheT

LongInTheT's story - power chain at work **pic**!!

#1 Post by LongInTheT »

Decided it's time to start a braces story so I can chart my progress (I've posted a few times already, mainly to cheer myself up, and have found everyone here so helpful and supportive). :lol:

I got braces on April 8th at the age of 55, Clarity SL on the top but not absolutely sure what's on the bottom arch - anyone got any ideas? I'd had braces as a teenager (removable top brace and two pre-molars out) but ages ago started to notice my teeth were moving. My dentist just told me 'you're getting old'. After he retired and I found a new (and much better) dentist I found that gum disease was the reason for the 2mm gap between my front teeth and (even more embarrassing) my right front tooth hanging way down. It is quite embarrassing to admit I've had gum disease even here, but it's done now!! :oops: :lol:

Didn't have any pain when the braces were put on, but did feel quite vulnerable, as the posts below (under pics) from a while back show.
Now I'm just getting on with normal life, and the braces are fine! :) :D

Image Image Image

Wonder if anyone has ideas on how to deal with comments about braces? Since I got braced on 8th April most people have been great, but my reactions to personal comments from someone quite close have been all over the place (couldn't you just keep quiet 'bout what you felt? This was my choice.. something I really wanted to do.. It's not like cutting my arm off.. Didn't think I looked that bad.. It's not for ever.. haven't noticed anyone recoiling..). Finally I began to wonder if looking at braces really is horrible - should I sympathise with this person? :( I think I need one good prepared-in-advance calm answer to comments, but what? :? :)

Last edited by LongInTheT on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 am, edited 9 times in total.

acd

#2 Post by acd »

Believe it or not there weren't many people who actually said anything to me about my braces when I first got them. My standard line for those who ask is that I'm taking care of deferred maintenance. Most people who have said anything either have had braces as an adult or were considering getting them and the comments have been mostly positive. If someone does go down the negative road I tell them that braces technology has come a long way from thirty years ago when I was afraid to get them and the only thing I regret is not starting this process sooner. I try to stay positive and focus on the end result and don’t let people get to me. Good luck with your treatment.

Jill52

#3 Post by Jill52 »

Hi LongintheT, first I want to say I'm thrilled to hear of an over 50 in the UK with braces. I'm a Brit too, but I live in California now. It's really not a big deal over here - lots of older people have braces. I'm going to be in England soon for a while and I've been worrying about comments. I don't think I'll be going down the pub. I worried and worried before I got braced on March 20 and tried to invent "medical reasons" that I would tell people in England who asked. Anyway, now I feel much more confident about the whole thing and I'm quite clear that I'm doing it BECASUE I WANT TO. I haven't had any negative comments yet, just some surprised colleagues. I wish I could give you a smart reply, but I haven't got one. I just think your own confidence at doing something positive for yourself is an answer in itself. Good luck! Jill

TheNewEmperor

#4 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Honestly, no matter WHO it is - if they say something hurtful or negative I'd call them on it. I'd bald faced ask them if they ever consider their words would be hurtful and what business is it of theirs if you choose to get braces?

People that have asked me about mine have been inquisitive and smart enough not to be negative - but I give people the benefit of the doubt that they realise that braces are a huge commitment of time and money and they know I wouldn't do this if I didn't have very real concerns for my teeth.

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Most of my comments have been positive or neutral. People who are or have already been braced ask me how much and/or how long. People who have not have just asked me if they hurt and tell me that they were thinking about it or getting cosmetic dental work done. You'll be fine, if anyone with a mouth full of grave yard looking teeth or full sets of dentures says anything you can just politely tell them that you're making a sound investment into the health and future of your teeth.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

LongInTheT

55 and first days in braces - any advice?

#6 Post by LongInTheT »

Thank you all for your comments. They were really helpful and I felt so supported. :D Saw my dentist last week for a check-up and that really helped, too, as he said I would have a 'very nice result' . :) Suppose it is a little weird with braces here in the UK - no one stares but I haven't seen braces on any other adults so far, although I know there are some: a friend has seen 2 and my ortho has put braces on 2 people of 70. Veneers seem the usual way to 'sort out' teeth here, but despite insecurities (which are dying down a bit) :) I know this was the right route for me!

Unhappy teeth

#7 Post by Unhappy teeth »

You're right LongintheT, I don't know of many adults in the UK with braces. Lots of people have asked me why I'm bothering as my teeth "aren't that bad" (what a compliment!) but I know I've made the right decision for me. (Even if I STILL can't talk completely normally! :lol: )

I noticed that we were braced around the same time and are having 1st adjustments on the same day. Good luck with yours

LongInTheT

55 and first days in braces - any advice?

#8 Post by LongInTheT »

Unhappy teeth, hope your teeth feel ok after your first adjustment. Mine hurt on Wednesday and Thursday (my first adjustment was Tuesday), :( which was interesting as I didn't have any pain after the braces were put on!
Two upsides: one, my ortho says my teeth are moving fast; second, I got through an interview this week without feeling any horrible braces embarrassment - although I know the interviewers it was the usual Brit say nothing routine on all sides! Currently really looking to the final result of straight teeth, although I know a long way to go.. :D
Going to try to get some pics up..

Chrissy

#9 Post by Chrissy »

Congratulations on making one of the most difficult and also important decisions in life :) ..... I live in UK as well and I'm 29 years old. I too thought people are going to look at me strange, as I am not a teenager anymore, but quite frankly the worst response i got was "but there was nothing wrong with my teeth"!
Don't worry so much about what people say, when you start seeing the results it makes it worth while! :D

shoezy

#10 Post by shoezy »

Hello LongInTheT,
You're right, it's definitely not forever. Comments I received (not many to begin with, people are just preoccupied) were positive and encouraging. It will pass luv, keep smiling...

-S

----------
braces on: Feb 2005
braces off: Nov 2008

LongInTheT

55 and first days in braces - any advice plus pics

#11 Post by LongInTheT »

Thank you, shoezy and Chrissy for your very nice and helpful comments. I'm getting stronger (I think) so here are some photos..
There are a few tea/coffee stains in the first 3 (my hygienist says I should worry about these as the teeth under the brackets could be permanently stained and so I should drink a glass of water after every cup!), but some real movement too..

1st April

9th April (BD 8th April)

30th May

ImageIMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn21 ... rch023.jpg[/IMG]
3rd June

braces4astw22

#12 Post by braces4astw22 »

Hey there

Just wanted to say I have seen alot of movement in your bottom teeth they are coming together nicely..you must be so happy to see results.. :D
Shannon - being braced at age 29

LongInTheT

#13 Post by LongInTheT »

Thank you for your comments, braces4aastw22. It is really nice to get feedback on the movement. Yes, I think my bottoms looked horribly wiggly before the braces, and it is so nice that they just don't any more!

LongInTheT

#14 Post by LongInTheT »

First adjustment was on May 27th. My ortho changed the wires. She said she usually changes up two sizes, but couldn't with me - my lower right molar and the pre-molar next to it are wobbly and there isn't much bone structure there. :( BUT she said my teeth are moving well, so that is all good. I'm really excited how much my right front tooth has moved into my jaw - it still has a little way to go, though. It does make having braces worth it... :lol: I really like and trust my ortho - I'm sure that is what we all feel once we've chosen the right person... Sadly she'll be on holiday when I go next time..:D

Strange things: one, my teeth hurt after the adjustment, but not at all when braces were put on; second, teeth haven't moved nearly so much this time despite hurting (I took the avatar pic yesterday, 25th June). Some gaps are opening up more, though. My ortho says the next 4 months are about aligning the teeth, then she'll start to close the 2mm gap between my front teeth. :) :D

LongInTheT

#15 Post by LongInTheT »

In the supermarket on Saturday I saw an ex-student (an adult).

She said 'I like your braces - they look really cool!'

Wow!! :lol: :D :D :lol: