Catfish's Journey - updated with pics 11-7-08 (page 5)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iBorg

#106 Post by iBorg »

YEEEEAAAA!!!!!!

I see caramel corn in your future.

And whole apples.

And nacho chips.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

catfish

#107 Post by catfish »

Mike - you got your braces off? How did I miss that? Did you post pics somewhere?

Congratulations!!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Memran

#108 Post by Memran »

Wow Catfish! Thats great news! :D

That retainer does look manageable, hopefully that is what I will get shortly :)
Upper brace on 23rd June 2008
Lower brace on 27th August 2008
Expected treatment time: 30 months :shock:
Braces removed on 6th June 2010
My Braces Story!

catfish

#109 Post by catfish »

Oh man, my appointment is in half an hour! I'm so excited! Here's how I look going in.

iBorg

#110 Post by iBorg »

Hopefully by know you're almost wire free (still got to count the retainer). Congrats on your new smile. Curious question for all those who questioned your brace decision. Was it worth it?

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

OhNicole

#111 Post by OhNicole »

I just noticed that today is your D-Day, congratulations! It's my D-Day too... just a couple hours to go and I'm soooooo excited!
~Nikki~
23 year old brace face and proud of it!

My story is well under way! Follow along in my thread.

catfish

#112 Post by catfish »

Woo Hoo!!! I am a happy girl today! 2 years, 8 months, 1 week and 4 days later I have naked teeth! The braces removal went really well, and I'm already used to my new slippery teeth! I was concerned the removal would be painful because he uses a tool that blows cold air. I have so many exposed roots due to periodontal disease, I feared the worst. But my ortho kept my roots covered with his finger so it didn't hurt a bit. He's awesome! So here's the pics:

Before:

After:

Next step: retainers. I picked the translucent pink for mine so they wouldn't show. I'll get them on Thursday. He's hoping he can adjust the retainer after I get the crown on my implant. I hope that works, otherwise I have to buy another retainer - ouch!

Mike, thanks for the congrats! You posed a good question, and I'm having a hard time answering it. My reason for getting braces was to hopefully slow down the perio and keep my teeth longer. I'm not sure I'll ever know if it was successful. But I am noticing that my lower incisors (the teeth most affected by perio) feel stronger when I bite into things. Apparently removing one and making the others more upright has added some stability, so I'm very happy with that! Plus I like that my lower right "fang" is tucked back in where it's supposed to be. :)

Nikki, thanks for checking in, and congrats on your D-Day too! I'll be checking your story for an update.

iBorg

#113 Post by iBorg »

Looks like a good....no GREAT result.

I'll admit I'm still learning to eat again. I keep on thinking it will be a pain to clean brackets forgetting I don't have brackets. I hope you don't suffer the same "problem."

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

OhNicole

#114 Post by OhNicole »

Yayyy that look great! Congratulations! Isn't it a great feeling?
~Nikki~
23 year old brace face and proud of it!

My story is well under way! Follow along in my thread.

catfish

#115 Post by catfish »

Hi Ken, I'm sorry to hear you say you're not expecting such a good result. What do you think will be wrong with your result? I hope you are pleasantly surprised with a happier outcome than you're expecting!

I went in for my retainers today. They didn't feel as bad as I expected. I thought they'd be uncomfortable, but they're just big. Like having a bite of food in your mouth - it doesn't hurt but you keep waiting for it to go away! I am having one tooth hurt a bit now that I've had them in for a few hours. I hope that's a normal, transient thing. If not, I'm stuck until Tuesday because my ortho's office is closed until then.

Another thing I didn't expect was that they tasted bad and my lips were burning for a few hours after I got them. I'm assuming it had to do with whatever they disinfect them with after they make them. I came right home and brushed them with toothpaste, so they taste a little better now.

So now I'm on the next step of my journey, and I hope I get used to it soon. I really hope I can learn to talk soon!!

iBorg

#116 Post by iBorg »

Catfish:
If your retainers are like my biteplates, the plastic they're made of has a taste to them the first couple of times you wear them. I would recommend something like Retainer Brite to keep them clean. My biggest challenge with my retainers (Essix type) is getting them so they taste "clean" after sleeping in them.

WE both have something to :D about!

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

catfish

#117 Post by catfish »

Well, today was a bit of a disappointment. I went in to get my teeth cleaned, which seemed like it should be an innocuous event. I was bummed to hear my pocket readings were much deeper than my last visit. I had several 4's and several 5's, one of which she said was really probably closer to a 6. These are the worst readings I've had since my osseous surgery. So it looks like my periodontal problems have activated again. I have to go back in two weeks to have them checked again, and they will put tetracycline in the deep pockets.

This was really a bummer visit. They said it could be because I just got my braces off and my teeth are shifting as they get used to the retainers. I hope this turns out to be true.

:(

iBorg

#118 Post by iBorg »

I can see the disappointment...

Let's hope that they're rigt and as your teeth adjust to their new home without the barbed wire of brackets those pockets close up.

Mike
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009

jensceana73

#119 Post by jensceana73 »

Hey, your teeth look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! So super J-E-A-L-O-U-S!! :-*
If God wanted me to have straight teeth, he would have made my parents rich..or so I was told....

Click Image to view my SAGA

catfish

#120 Post by catfish »

Well, the pocket situation got worse instead of better. :(

I had my follow-up today, and the pockets are now 5's and 6's. And lots of them, too. He's having me come in for the deep cleaning next (root planing? Is that what it's called?). It's the one where they only do half of your mouth at a time, and you have to get numbed up for it. 1-1/2 hours for each appointment. What a bummer.

He asked me if I was clenching or keeping my teeth together at rest. I said no, I'm sure I'm not doing that because I'd bite on my retainer and it's uncomfortable. He said to watch for it anyway because it's a huge contributor to deep pocket problems. So I started paying attention and guess what - I am clenching! I'm not keeping my teeth together at rest, but I'm actually clenching a lot. How can I have this habit and not even be aware of it??? So now I have to figure out how to stop it. That's going to be hard since I do it without thinking about it.

AAAAAARRGGHHH!!!!!!