Sarah-27 (1st chap with pic's) my experience with linguals

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sara

Sarah-27 (1st chap with pic's) my experience with linguals

#1 Post by Sara »

Well hello to all my new friends here on AW... a site that has got me through the first few weeks of a new experience.... getting braced! :-1

Although I have been here for about a month I thought it was time to get some phots on and to share my journey....

It all started when I was a little lass.... aged 12, I was given a brace for my top teeth (one to take in and out)- it was awful so I did not wear it.
My teeth were not an issue at that age so I was not motivated to wear it.
That was it for the NHS and what they offered me.

At the age of 21 I decided to ask my dentist for some advice on my teeth. I was referred to the dental hospital as this was the only way of having the treatment on the NHS and not paying for it.
I was used as a guinea pig, practiced on by junior ortho's... I was told I needed two lower teeth out and a brace for 18 months....
The room was filled with 10 dentist chairs, each with a team around each chair- how lovely- so what a supprise I did not go ahead with treatment.

I have always hated my teeth, its the one thing about me that I really have issues with. For years I have looked in the mirror and wished I could have a smile and be proud of it.
So I started doing so home work and looking on the net at my options.
Then last October 07 a leaflet was dropped through my door - a local practice specializing in braces for adults.
It took me 5 months to phone them up .... and it all started from here.

My Ortho was lovely, she took phots and explined my options including the types of braces and finance.
I opted for lingual upper, lower ceramic.

My problem's-
Lower- Crooked teeth, to many teeth for jaw- need two extactions. Lower jaw bigger than top.
Upper- Not to bad, pointy upper crannies.

So I had the teeth out- this was certainly and experience but not as bad as you would think. My ortho was excellent and it was over within 5ish minutes.... WOW no pain- just numb... easy...!

A few weeks later I was braced...... and so my story begins its first chapter...............

Before braced April 08 Image Upper- April 08 Image

Braced May 08 -After extractions Image Braced May 08 Image

Close up May 08- Image

I have not yet got a full ceramic brace on bottom as you can see- but it is on both sides.
Upper teeth have a lingual brace.
Well I will leave this as my first chapter..... lets hope I can see some changes soon... I will keep you posted.
xxxxxx
:banana:
Last edited by Sara on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 28- Upper lingual- Lower Ceramic Braces
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www
- updated a year on with pictures! (look bottom of pg 1)

angel84

#2 Post by angel84 »

Hi! Congratulations on beginning your braces jouney! Is the reason you aren't fully braced on the bottom to open up space for your front teeth to move? In all honesty your teeth do not look that bad! I bet you will see lots of movement when you get the full bottom on!! :D
*SKYE aka Amanda* 25, Army wife and Mommy of 5 ages 10, 5, 3, 19 months, and due in December! :)

Sara

#3 Post by Sara »

:-1
Thanks for your post angel, Not sure why my ortho did not fully brace the bottom, think she wanted the gap to close slightly before this was done- I will be fully braced in 2 & half weeks.
My top teeth are not that bad- I will be happy once my canines line up with the rest of the teeth... I have had the lingual on now for 3 weeks but not seen any movement- a bit disapointed in this I am too inpatient..LOL
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

Unhappy teeth

#4 Post by Unhappy teeth »

Hello and congratulations :-)o on deciding to get braced. I noticed that you posted on Martin's thread that you live in Bristol- me too! :D There doesn't seem to be too many braced adults in England so it's always nice to find another. I also have linguals (top and bottom), how are you finding them?

LongInTheT

#5 Post by LongInTheT »

Hi, Sara, and nice to 'meet' another brace face in the UK. I also had a removable upper brace when I was a teenager - obviously the English thing! It did work at the time, but it might have helped if retainers had been part of the deal (or maybe not as it was undiagnosed gum problems bu my now-retired dentist that moved my teeth in the end, a sign of less than perfect British dentistry...)
Your teeth look really nice already, and are going to look really good in the end. Good luck!

Sara

#6 Post by Sara »

Thanks for all your support, It's good to know I am not the only one in england willing to suffer for the sake of a perfect smile. :lol:
I have two weeks till my 1st adjustment- and my lower teeth will then be fully braced.
I have had the upper's braced now for about 4 weeks but I have not seen any movement at all.... does anybody know if this is normal.

I know my top teeth are not that bad but I really have issues with my top Canines.... I just want them to be in line with the others....

I also have had my brace brake 2 times since it was fitted, the back bracket broke off day 3, then 2 weeks into the treatment the other side back bracket broke off.... I did go back to ortho but she only made them comphy for me- and did not fix them. However this was an emergency appointment and she may not have had enough time to work on them.
Is this normal - I am only eating soft food still but I do use an electric tooth brush, maybe this is to much for the brace..?

It has been a struggle since I had the linguals fitted- I still have a slight lisp ...... not sure if this will ever go...
I can't chew food and my diet consists of pasta, mince & curry- however I did manage a pizza and chips at the weekend but had to leave the crusts and a few crispy chips....LOL
It's a bit depressing that this is it now for 17 more months the slush diet and no chocolate..... but I am sure my spirits will brighten up when I see movement... if I ever do....! :-1
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

Miranbrady20

#7 Post by Miranbrady20 »

thanks for your words of encouragement on my blog! your teeth and so white i love em!... i see you have a bit of a crossbite type thing going on... i hate that... it feels like my tongue is CONSTANTLY resting on my one tooth!... so good luck with your journey aswell!

Sara

#8 Post by Sara »

My experience so far with linguals-

It has been nealy two months now wearing lingual uppers.
My diet has changed I can no longer eat crisps, chocolate .... Its just far to uncomfortable and for the enjoyment of eating that food it just does not seem worth the discomfort.
I tend to eat foods in a sauce now- so plany of pasta, mince, chips as long as they are not crispy, rice, curry, pizza......cake , custard.....
sandwiches as long as its with tuna/egg mayo- I tried ham but just too much effort in chewing .....

I am able to chew but not enough to rip meat apart or crusts ....its a lot easier to mush the food up then swollow... so all needs to be soft food.

At the moment I have not noticed any visable changes in my top teeth- but my bite has changed. my teeth no longer touch at all at the front where before they did. however its very annoying as I have one tooth at the back now that catches on the bottom teeth whan I chew or bite.... I have to be really careful as if i was to chew properly I would risk damaging that tooth. (it feels like its longer than the rest- its not but it just rubs on the bottom tooth)
I will mention it to my ortho in 4 weeks but I reckon I just have to wait for it to move into place.... such a pain as this tooth has stopped me from eating properly now as I worry I might crack the tooth from chewing....

I no longer pick- which is not a bad thing, again everything that you tend to pick eg biscuits etc are no longer a plaesure so I dont bother.

I wear wax daily on the top back 3 brackets as these tend to rest on my toungue - its ok for an hour or so without but it soon becomes uncomfortable which in turn affects my speach.
However this also stops me from eating inbetween meals as the hastle of taking the wax off and putting it back on- just to eat a snack - its just to much trouble.

It does get me down - friday I had a works party- posh evening with wine / nibbles and planty of chatting- I had to make my excuses for not nibbling as i was wearing wax and did not want the hastle of taking it off... so I just chatted and drank the wine..... which was great but I missed the food!

I don't regret what I have done but never expected such a change in my life that braces have caused....
I am getting fed up of having to waer them now - but hopefully when I can see a change in the top my spirits my brighten up.
I just keep thinking positive about the perfect teeth at the end...

Thanks for reading my experience....

:banana:
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www

stitch

#9 Post by stitch »

Sara wrote: My diet has changed I can no longer eat crisps, chocolate .... Its just far to uncomfortable and for the enjoyment of eating that food it just does not seem worth the discomfort.
I tend to eat foods in a sauce now- so plany of pasta, mince, chips as long as they are not crispy, rice, curry, pizza......cake , custard.....
sandwiches as long as its with tuna/egg mayo- I tried ham but just too much effort in chewing .....

I am able to chew but not enough to rip meat apart or crusts ....its a lot easier to mush the food up then swollow... so all needs to be soft food.
Hi Sara -your teeth are so white!

I agree with you about the food. I've been in braces about as long as you (I just noticed - I got braced the day before you! We're almost brace-twins :) ) and still aren't able to bite into things like pizza, etc. Come to think of it, I haven't eaten a sandwich since I got them on! No more chips and chocolate for me either. I used to snack at night, but that's too much bother so now I'm sticking to my regular 3 meals a day.

Anyway, good luck with your journey!

Click 'www' below for my braces story...

jenny101101

#10 Post by jenny101101 »

Hi Sara,

Welcome and congrats on getting braced! :-1 Sorry to hear of your eating troubles. I know I had a really hard time the first few months but it does get easier(although I don't have linguals so I can't speak from experience with them). I hope it does get easier for you :thumbsup: . Like others have said, you have beautifully, white teeth....they'll be stunning once your done of treatment, I'm sure!!

Glad to have you here! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Miranbrady20

#11 Post by Miranbrady20 »

hey long time no talk! i hope your braces journey has been going good for you!! miss ya!!

Sara

A year later pictures

#12 Post by Sara »

Take a look - see how its all worth it....

May 2008

May 2009

May 2008

May 2009

May 2008

May 2009

Its been hard, I wont lie, there are days when I just wanna rip them off but- I don't regret what I have done and I love my teeth now.
Only a few more months left.
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www