4 More Days until braced! Periondontal question....

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ITeachMY

4 More Days until braced! Periondontal question....

#1 Post by ITeachMY »

Hi! I am new here. Just a quick note to say hello, and to let you all know that it was this website that convinced me to finally take the plunge and get braces at 42 (almost 43) years of age. My 15 year old son gets his on Monday and I get them Wednesday. We had our spacers put on last Tuesday. Such a mother/son thing to do! Luckily I did not have to have any teeth removed to correct my 11 mm overjet, probably because I have had so many molars removed years ago as part of VERY bad dentistry.
My Question: I had periodontal disease which is now under control but have severe gum recession with my lower front teeth, especially one. The bone mass is very low in that tooth. The perio and ortho met and decided to go ahead with the braces and gently move the affected tooth. There is a chance that I may lose it but I would have to get an implant sooner or later anyway.
Has anyone else had braces with previous periodontal problems and if so, what was the outcome?

LongInTheT

hi

#2 Post by LongInTheT »

hi, ITeahMY,

Congratulations on deciding to get braces!! It will be really nice getting braces at the same time as your son, a reall mutual support thing...
Your question: as I've had periodontal disease, too, I'll answer from my experience, and hope this helps... At times my orthodontist has gone quite slowly because of my reduced bone support. Once or twice she has mentioned quite wobbly teeth. Cause of these ex-perio probs she has moved from gentle to tougher wires quite gradually, particularly at the bottom (it was at the bottom that I had root planing twice). However, recently this hasn't really been an issue, so I guess my bones and gums have adapted to the movement.
I'm now in the last phase of the treatment (not sure exactly what this means, but certainly the end in sight) and all has basically gone well. The recessions are still there, of course (and for this, like you, I partly blame lousy dentistry from the past), but I'm very hopeful the overall results will be nice despite.
Oh, one thing: my dentist says my gums and bone are a lot better since the braces, and there has even been some regeneration.
SO I think you have every reason to think the braces will be good for your teeth and to have no real worries about the perio problems. I think you should have confidence, too, as your periodontist and ortho are working together on this.

Good luck with your treatment!
LITT

ITeachMY

#3 Post by ITeachMY »

Thanks LITT! I have noticed that my bottom teeth are quite wobbly as well, but I already am seeing an improvement. I am almost fanatical about the brushing and flossing, as I don't want to go through root planing again! It takes me about 20 minutes to complete my brushing regime.
I have quite a bit of gum recession as well and am hoping that, like you, there will be some bone regeneration.
The braces have been on for almost 2 weeks and I STILL cannot bite into anything. I tried to eat a piece of honeydew melon and couldn't because my teeth are so sensitive. Grrrr. The ortho wants to see me every 3 weeks for the first bit of my treatment so I will have to make sure to ask him if this is normal.