Deep cleaning? I'm freaked out and I want to cry.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cathykay

Deep cleaning? I'm freaked out and I want to cry.

#1 Post by cathykay »

This is long but please bear with me. I'm very upset. :(

Yesterday morning, I noticed that a filling had come out on my very back molar on the upper left side of my mouth. So today, I went to a new dentists office by my house. I will admit that since getting my braces on, I have not been in for a cleaning but planned on getting one today, in addition getting the cavity refilled.

One girl takes x-rays, no big deal. The hygienist comes in and poked around my gums again (it felt like a prick by each tooth) and each poke caused bleeding. She kept saying "5" "5" "5" along with some strange dentist code that I didn't understand. The "5" I found out through a Google search has something to do with gums and mm's. Above 3 = periodontal disease. Um, WHAT?!

I had once been given a mouthwash by another dentist to use for swollen gums and gingivitis. Now apparently I need a deep cleaning which completely freaks me out. The dentist told me that at 21 years old, I shouldn't be needing then and "What will happen in 10 years?" Now I'm bugging out that I'm going to lose my teeth.

I want to cry. I am so happy with how my teeth are turning out because of having braces. I thought I was finally getting the smile I always wanted and now this gets sprung on me. My mom thinks he's money hungry and I will admit the place seemed a little off somehow. I can't put my finger on it. The dentists office advertises itself as gentle and empathetic and yet I found the dentist making me feel bad about my teeth, and about myself.

My orthodontist always has his assistants check hygiene and he checks as well. There was one time a few visits ago when he told me to brush a little better but other than that, he never said anything to me. He always tells me things are looking good! If I really have periodontal disease, wouldn't he have noticed too? It strikes me as one of those things that would be obvious, right?

Both the dentist and hygienist pointed out that my gums were swollen. Isn't some degree of that to be expected when your teeth are shifting about? I feel like some sort of irritation is normal, right?

I didn't even have the dentist replace the filling because he kept saying that he wanted me to do a deep cleaning first; one day the left side, and fix the cavity - and the next day the right side.

I'm not happy at all right now. I'm upset, confused, and scared. :(

Ceramic on the top, metal on bottom

My Braces Story! (with pictures!)

cathykay

#2 Post by cathykay »

Oh to add, I'm going away with some friends this weekend and my mom and I decided to not do anything at his office today his response was, "And go away LIKE THAT?!" As if I'm some sort of freak.

I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive but I HAVE FEELINGS.

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

If you have 5mm pockets and bleeding points then the first course of action generally is scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) along with oral hygiene instructions. Some docs will add in mouth rinses, etc but the removal of the plaqye, tartar and bacteria is the most important part of the process.

The doc was trying to do you a favor by consolidation the filling with 1 section of SC/RP. that saves you haveing to be numbed 2 time on the same side since they numb you for the SC/RP as well.

The dentist is trying to help you keep your teeth.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

LC'sTeefs

#4 Post by LC'sTeefs »

I think that you should do what the dentist says you need to do. You already knew that you had swollen gums and gingivitis, and now you have a bigger problem because that wasn't taken care of. You will loose your teeth as the gum disease progresses.
I've had my braces for over 7 months. I have had no swelling of my gums.
Get another opinion if you didn't like this dentist.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

You may very well need the root planing, but if you do not feel comfortable with this dentist, do not have it done by him. Get referrals from friends and neighbors.

evilnel

#6 Post by evilnel »

What is your oral hygiene routine? It seems this should be a wake-up call. Like drrick said, it seems like the dentist is trying to help you, but if you're not comfortable, you should try a different dentist. Don't be surprised if you get the same news, though.

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I wouldn't be freaking out about the "deep cleaning" part...

I had a deep cleaing a few months ago and will have another in a few weeks. To me, it didn't feel any different from a regular cleaning and it was covered by my insurance. I really don't know what the difference is between the two.

I would find another dentist regardless of which treatment you plan on going with. Also, maybe look into buying a waterpik, if you dentist recommends you use one.

Good luck!

BracketRacket

#8 Post by BracketRacket »

If you're not happy, get another opinion...like all doctors (and maybe moreso!) you definitely want to have confidence in and be happy with your dentist.

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I should have added, that I don't have any gum issues...but do get the "deep cleaning" everytime my teeth are cleaned.

cathykay

#10 Post by cathykay »

If I get the deep cleaning, can I reverse this...?

macgirl4ever

#11 Post by macgirl4ever »

I am very, very lucky to not struggle with gum health, but my partner certainly does. I believe that once your gums have receded, they can't grow back. I agree that 21 seems awfully young to have these periodontal problems, but your genetics and oral hygeine habits have dealt you a rough deal. I don't know if this is true, perhaps others who have had this done can comment, but I've read that once you start deep cleanings that you must continue to have deep cleanings and/or that your cleanings must occur every 3-4 months instead of the usual 6. You can't control how much gum you've lost, but you can control whether you will lose any more through good hygiene and making sure that you have a professional cleaning as your dentist suggests.

Your orthodontist was first trained as a general dentist before getting advanced training in teeth movement, however, when he or she looks at your teeth, s/he is probably focusing more on your bite and alignment and not your gums. It's like going to an OB/GYN and expecting them to notice suspicious looking moles when they are more interested in your reproductive health.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

drrick

#12 Post by drrick »

Deep Cleaning is a bad pharase to describe this kind of stuff.
SC/RP is done after being numbed. It is usually done 1 quadrant at a time but often more than 1 quadrant can be done at one visit.

If every time you get a cleaning is a 'deep cleaning' that is actually a periodontal maintenance appt not sc/rp.
This is usually done after sc/rp to maintain your gum health. This is usulally done every 3 month

Periodontal disease can be stopped. You want to catch it and treat it before if there is significant bone loss.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Snowglobe32

#13 Post by Snowglobe32 »

[quote="drrick"]Deep Cleaning is a bad pharase to describe this kind of stuff.
SC/RP is done after being numbed. It is usually done 1 quadrant at a time but often more than 1 quadrant can be done at one visit.

If every time you get a cleaning is a 'deep cleaning' that is actually a periodontal maintenance appt not sc/rp.
This is usually done after sc/rp to maintain your gum health. This is usulally done every 3 month

quote]

Thanks for the clarification Dr. Rick. They must be doing the mainenance because I have never had sc/rp.

cathykay

#14 Post by cathykay »

Wait, so if I get it done once I have to continue getting it done...?

catfish

#15 Post by catfish »

Hi cathykay, Boy did your story ring a bell with me! I have advanced periodontal disease that didn't get properly diagnosed until it had done significant damage. It doesn't hurt, and it doesn't show, so the only way to really know you have it is to have the pocket readings done. The dentist I had for decades didn't catch it, and it wasn't until I moved that my new dentist recognized it. You are lucky it was caught this early - don't blow it off! It's an insidious disease that will continue to do damage if you ignore it. You should consider visiting a periodontist at this point to get a thorough evaluation.

When I first learned the truth about what was going on in my mouth, I was VERY upset, just as you are. I felt like my teeth had turned against me! It's scary to think you could lose your teeth! But if you start treatment now and follow the directions you're given, you can slow down or stop the progression of this disease. It's important to learn proper brushing and flossing techniques too, so make sure the dentist or periodontist reviews that with you. (Seriously, I hope you go to a periodontist. They specialize in this disease and know exactly what to do to get it under control.)

As for the “deep cleaning” (as drrick says, root planing and scaling), I had that done when I was first diagnosed, then I started going in for quarterly “normal” cleanings. The deep cleaning shouldn't have to be done repeatedly. The deep cleaning is time consuming but not painful. They numbed me up for it, then I only felt a little tenderness from all the activity after the anesthetic wore off. It's nothing to fear.

I know this news was a shock and it will take time to absorb it. But please, please, please do not let this problem go unattended!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom