gum recession

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catalina

gum recession

#1 Post by catalina »

Hello,

I just noticed that i have gum recession.
I went to the dentist and he told me that i dont have gum disease,my oral health is great and this happened because of the pressure/movement from the braces.Also he said i have a thin tissue in my lower gums.
He told me that in younger patiens the gum and bone regenarates and grow up and that it is also possible for me.But he wasnt sure!
I am so sad because of this..i do everything i can to keep my teeth/gums clean and look what happened..

Is there anyone with the same issue and what happened?

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

Thin gum tissue -- leading to recession usually required grafting.
I often have this fdone prior to placing braces but in certain circumstances it is done after (or even during)
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

catalina

#3 Post by catalina »

thanks for the reply!

so,it is not possible that the gum will grow up at the end of the treatment?
gum grafting is the only way?

Takako

#4 Post by Takako »

I have a tooth where the gum has been receeded for years, due to a tight frenulum/tongue action/instrument playing/bad oral hygiene etc. It will have to be grafted, and my dentist told me to get it done while I'm still in braces in case it regresses.

LongInTheT

gum recession

#5 Post by LongInTheT »

I think things can be done for this by the ortho, but I guess this would not be done with many teeth. Anyway, my ortho just pulled my right front right tooth down and it brought the gum back down to form a proper arch. She then shaved the tooth off where it was now too long. The gum is still receded, but now looks normal shaped so I'm not worrying about it. I thought this was amazing, but I suppose depended on there being enough gum to pull down.
My dentist has also said that tooth movement is good for bone and gums, and in adults as well as kids. But I think he meant a bit of gum growth (I would need loads to get rid of the recessions).
Try not to worry about your gums - we all stare at our teeth so much we are bound to notice things, but others won't.
All the best, LITT

drrick

#6 Post by drrick »

With the tight frenum that most likely needs to be removed (frenectomy) along with the graft. I am sure the doc has told you that but might be good info for the others reading these boards.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Aia

#7 Post by Aia »

Yeah I had that too. It's very depressing. I know mine was started by braces but I think I made mine worse because at the time I was using nicotine gum and it's known to irritate your gums. So I don't know if I made it worse but it was SO sore for a while until I stopped using the gum.

My mom had the same thing but she said hers was from brushing too hard but she also had braces when she was like 40 so I don't know if it was a combination of both or what. But she had to get skin grafted onto hers to.

I just hope I don't have to do that because I hate the idea of being put to sleep for anything. I mean I don't like the way it looks but as long as it doesn't cause me any other problems then I really don't care.