Sim's Story - The Nightmare is Over! Naked pics!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SimInsomniac

Sim's Story - The Nightmare is Over! Naked pics!

#1 Post by SimInsomniac »

I will have to be brief on most of the details of my journey so far, because to be honest I haven't paid a great deal of attention to details like how many adjustments I've had. :oops: From now on, I'm making more effort though so things will improve as I go along. :o

My journey began a few years ago when I was 13. I was told by my dentist I should consider braces due to overcrowding mainly. I went to an orthodontist to get information and was told it would probably be difficult because, although all my baby teeth were out, some adult ones still hadn't come through. At this point I didn't see my teeth as too bad and didn't fancy the idea of a metal mouth, so I said no and would look into it later on when the teeth came through.
Jump ahead 2 years, 15 years old and my dentist brings it up again now my adult teeth are all through. The overcrowding had got worse and it was recommended I get braces to stop it getting worse as an adult. I also needed 4 teeth removed to make room for movement. I was still very hesitant, having a couple of friends with, or finished with braces, I knew it was going to be hard to adjust to. I don't have any good photos of my teeth before, I'll look around but this is the best I have for now, it was taken a couple of years before braces.

In the end I went with it so in July 2005 I had the extractions and in the following August had Damon 3 braces on both the top and bottom, sentenced to an estimated 15-18 months. I hated them at first, for the pain, the way they looked and the general inconvenience, not to mention the fact a bracket broke within an hour. :? Starting Year 11 at school, most people noticed so I tried my best to not show my teeth.
I had adjustments every 2 months and to this point, still do. For the first few months the movement was fast and within 6 months I could see amazing change, and I felt better showing my teeth when smiling/talking etc. To be honest, they didn't look too much different to how they are now. Each adjustment, I've had a new, stronger wire, nothing more. The occasional breakage but things were going well according to my ortho.
There's not too much to say until this point. Now I'm 17 years old, just under 16 months into treatment and the light's appearing at the end of the tunnel at last.
That photo was taken on December 11th. The gaps are still around and the black triangles are ever-present but that will be sorted in time I'm sure. Whenever the ortho decides to shave them.
Yesterday, I went for my latest (8th? not sure) adjustment and he said I'm ready to have the gaps worked on. So I now have the delights of a powerchain. I chose silver and it looks nice in my opinion. I feel a lot of strain still and I swear the upper central teeth are moving together already, shame they're still overlapping a bit. :P
That's my bite, apart from the gaps, my ortho says my bite is good. So hopefully no elastics for me in the future! :D
So now I'm happy that I'm moving on. I go back 22nd February for another appointment so we'll see what happens then. With any luck, there won't be many apps left for me!

Sim
Last edited by SimInsomniac on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:23 am, edited 13 times in total.
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Hi SimInsomniac

Your teeth look fantastic, I don't imagine you should have too much longer left in braces. Best wishes with the treatment, good that you're getting this sorted out while you're still young.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

SimInsomniac

#3 Post by SimInsomniac »

joney,
Thanks for the support. Fingers crossed it isn't much longer now. :D

KK,
Thank you. I'm liking the powerchain already! I think everything looks nicer with it in rather than before! No problems so far, just having to go easy on food, hehe. I'll have to think about future colours if necessary. I took the safe option this time. :wink:

bracedagain,
The light is bright... There is chewing gum, popcorn, whole apples and all sorts of other food I miss! I won't tempt fate and say my freedom day is Feb 22nd, but maybe it will be the beginning of the end. :o

I'll try and get pics of the extraction gaps soon and regularly post progress on the closure. :D

Sim

SimInsomniac

#4 Post by SimInsomniac »

Haven't posted anything here for almost 2 weeks, so just a small update on how things are going...

No noticeable movement so far with the powerchain. I'm hoping things are happening in the roots or something. My bite seems the same, and I'm no closer to having a nice mid-line. Not sure if my ortho is seeking that anyway, so I'm not fussed about that.

Anyway, I haven't posted a photo of my lowers yet. They're looking good, and like my uppers, they've looked as they do for some time and haven't done much lately. I'm still waiting for my right lateral to get in line with the canine next to it, but it doesn't seem to want to, whereas the other did very quickly and loves its newfound neighbour. :D
The first photo is from a week ago, and the second is today. Before the incisors were very stained, and I was beginning to think they were decaying. But I bought a simple scalar and it has mostly been scraped off already. This is only after 2 uses, so maybe they'll be even cleaner in the future! :o

Please excuse the excess amounts of saliva in the first. :oops:

Sim

newmetal

#5 Post by newmetal »

Your teeth are looking good sim.

Newmetal

Tin Indian

#6 Post by Tin Indian »

Very nice smile Sims,
What does the light at the end of the tunnel look like anyway?
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

SimInsomniac

#7 Post by SimInsomniac »

Hi newmetal, KK and Tin Indian,
Thanks for reading and the support.

Tomorrow marks my powerchain's one month anniversary. I was delighted when I first got them. The gaps can finally be on their way out and then I'd be one step nearer to the end. To sum up my experiences in them so far, they're great; I think my teeth look better in them than they did with the bare wire, although I'm going for a more daring colour in February! :P As for the progress... I'm in two minds; when I look in the mirror, to the naked eye, I think the gaps are suddenly smaller and I can see more of my remaining molars when I smile. However, in photos I took of the arch, I don't see any change. Perhaps people reading this could comment on if they see any difference. I might be being a bit impatient and I do have another 6 weeks until my adjustment so maybe a lot will happen then. There are definitely changes in the central incisors. Not sure what my ortho intends to do about them, as they still seem slanted and overlap at the bottom.

Here are some comparison photos from the day I got the chains and today. (14/12 and 13/1)

Open mouth:

Bite:
I must have bit down differently in the second. Looks like a big change but I'm not really aware of any.

Upper arch:
I see no difference there at all. :?

I think that makes my teeth look good from that angle! :lol: I need a shave. :roll: 8)

Any comments or support are very welcome!
Sim

SimInsomniac

#8 Post by SimInsomniac »

Month 17 - Hopefully this won't get to 24!

Technically my 17th is on the 30th, but this is the best time for me to take photos because of school. It's been a long 17 months, parts have flown, but these later months have really stretched on.. I think it's because I can't wait to see my ortho now things are starting to come together, 10 week adjustments are an agonising wait!

The powerchain is steadily closing the gaps. I doubt they'll all be done by Feb 22nd, but maybe my second chain will be the lucky one. I'm thinking of a teal/aqua colour if my ortho has them! :D
My latest finding is that my bite is likely going to prolong my treatment more than I thought. I never understood what the norm is, and I've found my molars don't meet, only the naked back ones. So chances are elastics will be in order at some point. It's a shame, but as long as my bite is good I'm happy to carry on for more months. Maybe my midline will be perfect afterall! I'll bring it up with my ortho, see what he thinks.

Be gone, evil bite gaps, and let my teeth meet each other! :lol:

17 month pics, or 16 months, 4 weeks to be precise!

Front open mouth

Upper arch

Lower arch, I still struggle to get a decent shot!

Right side, very small gaps! :D

Left side

Sorry if they're a bit big, but I'm too lazy to reduce the size right now. Looking good, don't you think?

Thanks for the continuing support, Karen and Linda. I really appreciate your comments.

Sim

Tin Indian

#9 Post by Tin Indian »

MY, what a pretty smile you have Sim. The bigger pictures show great detail.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

SimInsomniac

#10 Post by SimInsomniac »

Thanks Tin Indian, KK and Linda!
Much appreciated. :)

Happy 17th to my braces! :-)o :-V :-88
Not too many more though, please!

Sim

SimInsomniac

#11 Post by SimInsomniac »

Small update, no brace changes, but from the dentistry side of my teeth.
For the past week, I've been experiencing rather a lot of sharp pain in both of my lower premolars, especially after waking up, seeing as I grind my teeth. The right one I wasn't sure why, but the left one was hitting the upper premolar, which is now in the way as it fills the extraction gap, so a good thing with a downside!

Gaps are getting there! :o

Because of this pain, I arranged to go and see my dentist to check things out.
So today I walked down to see him in the pouring rain. :( He said that the right premolar was probably just under a lot of pressure from the braces because it's most likely being pulled up a bit. So nothing really I can do, but by today the pains were very small and infrequent, so that's a relief. He then shaved down the left premolar by about half a mm, then asked me to bite down... No contact! :D It looks more aesthetically pleasing too now both are about the same size, more symmetrical.

I'll next update in 2 weeks after I've had my adjustment. It would be great if something big happens, like elastics! :D

Sim

sjsarre

#12 Post by sjsarre »

Great progress Sim, looks like your brace journey might be coming to an end very soon! Have you been given an idea of how much longer?

Your teeth look fantastic now!

SimInsomniac

#13 Post by SimInsomniac »

sjsarre wrote:Great progress Sim, looks like your brace journey might be coming to an end very soon! Have you been given an idea of how much longer?

Your teeth look fantastic now!
Thank you very much!
I daren't ask how long left. I made that mistake last October and he said 6-9 months possibly, which would mean 20-23 months, eek! :(
In 12 days when I next see him, I'll ask him what he still has planned for my teeth. That's vaguely asking how long left but without a worrying numerical value. :wink: My guess is that the gaps will close within 2 months, then have elastics to close the bite and I hope he also sorts out my upper incisors so they're no longer overlapping. Anyway, 2007 should be my year for sure!

Sim

SimInsomniac

#14 Post by SimInsomniac »

Adjustment tomorrow! I look forward to each one more every time.
Sadly, I get the feeling it's going to be uneventful and disappointing in general. Maybe because the gaps still have a bit further to go, plus it will be almost 18 months, which was my top end of the original estimation. It's been a very testing time so far, some times I want them off regardless of my teeth moving back, but I've hung in there. I can only hope it won't reach 2 years or carry on past my 18th birthday in November. I want to be able to smile for that occasion! :D

Photos before adjustment...

My mum wants to come along with me to see my ortho. She's becoming impatient and wants to ask him about my progress. I'm quite glad of this, for I never know if he's telling me the whole story when I visit, I usually have to ask him to tell me what's going on. Maybe it's because I'm not an adult he thinks I don't care, who knows. The only thing I do know is.. New powerchain! Looking forward to ditching the boring silver for a brighter colour.

Anyway, I'll post the events tomorrow, hopefully with pics of the new chains.

Sim

SimInsomniac

#15 Post by SimInsomniac »

Thanks Karen, always great to hear from you. :-88

Well, it was more eventful than I imagined. My ortho said my gaps were almost there and it was time to work on my bite as well. That was a nice surprise, I was thinking he'd wait until after the gaps were gone completely. I got my wires replaced with a stronger one on the uppers (I thought I was already on the final one! :oops: ) which should level my teeth more, presumably bringing the back teeth down alongside the front ones. I asked if I'd need elastics as well, and he thinks probably, but I'll get them next time once this wire has done all that it is capable of. He doesn't think the teeth have to move down far anyway so here's hoping that won't take long.
The good news is, that's pretty much it once the gaps and bite are fixed. So less than 6 months to go? Sounds likely! :BigGrin:

I also got a blue powerchain, though I swear the assistant handed him a lighter colour than the one I pointed out to her. No problem though, looks nice.

**Edit**: Just realised my chain seems thicker than before on the lowers! :D

Next adjustment is on May 3rd... It's so far away, and I can't wait already. :P

Sim