Atlanta, GA: The braces are off! Final Pics are posted!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SimInsomniac

#46 Post by SimInsomniac »

Good luck today, I look forward to the photos! :D

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

todddutton

Braces Removed!

#47 Post by todddutton »

Hello everyone. Well, I've finally had the braces removed. :-)o :banana:

I arrived early at the ortho office but they were able to take me right away. I was quite surprised. The assistant removed the brackets with a special tool...kind of like pliers...by rocking back and forth gently on each bracket. They came off quickly and easily. They didn't even have to take off the arch wires. A couple of the teeth were sensitive but overall no pain.

Then the drill came out of hiding which was to remove the excess glue which then turns to dust. I had the suction hose in my mouth the whole time which kept the mess to a minimum. This part did kind of creep me out a bit since I hate the smell of anything burning. :yikes:

I rinsed and sat back down and voila...

Lower Teeth Final

Upper Teeth Final

Closed Bite Final

I must say I am overall very happy with the results. The midline was fixed early in treatment and I guess it shifted again. Oh well, putting the braces back on is NOT AN OPTION! :?

I will treat myself to tooth whitening in the next month or so. I'll have it done at my dentist so it is professional and lasts longer. I'm also going to eat my candy apple this afternoon. YEAH! :D

As for retainers, I have to wear mine 12 hours per day. This is wonderful as I can do this when I get home and through the night. :P :jump: :rawk: :-)o

SimInsomniac

#48 Post by SimInsomniac »

:yikes: Whoa, your teeth look beautiful, and very clean as well! [/jealous]
That surely was a result worth waiting for, and I hope you enjoy freedom.

Good luck with the retainers as well, what sort are they?

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

flesh-was-sweet

#49 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Well done!

Looking fab!

Nawners

#50 Post by Nawners »

They look awesome!!! Congrats! :)

And BA... You always have the best smileys!!! Where do you find them??
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

lionfish

#51 Post by lionfish »

Very nice, indeed. Enjoy the candy apple.

LucyQ99

#52 Post by LucyQ99 »

Very Nice Hon!

todddutton

#53 Post by todddutton »

Thank you everyone for your very nice comments. Yesterday, I went to lunch with a friend and enjoyed Masaman Curry at a lovely Thai restaurant. It was nice to eat the avacado and cashews without worry <G>!

I forgot to mention in my last post my retainers are Hawley's. It is quite difficult to speak with them in as it sounds like I have a mouth full of water. :) The teeth felt soft when the braces were removed. They didn't look overly large or slimy as some have described.

I am continuing salt water rinses as my cheeks are "beat up" and hardened from when the braces and hooks would catch/rub. My former natural action was to clentch and grind my teeth but now that I have these retainers, I can't do this without feeling uncomfortable. The thought of coming out of pocket more than $600 to replace retainers is enough to make me not even want to have my teeth touching. :) I did get an extra storage case from the ortho office to keep in my car. I may even get a third to keep at my office. I remember many years ago kids throwing away their retainers in the garbage and also loosing them. Since my ortho said I would probably wear these forever, they need to last. He also said not to soak the retainers in denture cleaner because this will eventually eat away at the metal. I was told to brush the retainers daily with toothpaste and toothbrush. I can soak them for 30 minutes monthly to remove the white calcium deposits that will form over time in 1/2 cut white vinigar and 1 cup water.

I have a 3 month checkup to see how the retainers are working and if they need any adjustments. Then I'll go annually for the next 3 years. My ortho said I needed to wear the retainers 12 hours per day for the next 6 months. For months 6-12, I'll wear the retainers 8 hours while sleeping. After my annual check-up visits, I may have changes to these schedules.

belmikry

#54 Post by belmikry »

congrats! they look fantastic! :)

lucky- i have to wear my hawley 24/day :P

they look great- promise the hawley gets better :)
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

todddutton

#55 Post by todddutton »

Hello Everyone! Thanks Kim and Denise for your kind words. Retainer wear has been good. I've been wearing my retainers at night, as prescribed but not usually for the full 12 hours. Typicall 8 or 9 per day. The retainers are not tight like they were at first. Also, after taking the retainers out each day, the teeth feel stiff but that is subsiding as time goes by.

The weather is lovely in Atlanta today! 80 degrees....Spring is here at last!

mighty mo

#56 Post by mighty mo »

Todd, it's great to hear how well you're doing with your retainer. Is your ortho OK with you wearing it less than 12 hours/day? When do you go back for a check-up?

And yes, the weather here has been fab today - it really lifts the spirits :rose: Pizza on the patio at Mellow Mushroom me thinks...