Is the Essix Retainer actually clear?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hopeful2011

Is the Essix Retainer actually clear?

#1 Post by hopeful2011 »

I was told I would receive an Essix retainer after my treatment, and the retainer they showed me looked absolutely perfect on the display mouth set in the office.

I recall seeing a friend who was debraced and she had a very obvious plastic covering over her teeth. I am wondering if that is the way they actually look on people? For those who wear them or have seen them on others, are they pretty hard to notice? Or can you tell when you look at your/another person's mouth?

Thanks!

I've subtracted this much time from my total treatment :lol: :lol: :lol:

TumbleDryLow

Re: Is the Essix Retainer actually clear?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I have Essex top and bottom. From a distance they won't be noticeable, but unfortunately I have to say I am a bit disappointed with how noticeable I think they are close up. You hit it right, it really does look like plastic covering the teeth. At first this really bothered me, but now I could care less. If I can do braces for 33 months, I can deal with plastic teeth. Plus it's not forever. At some point you will only need to wear them at night.

hopeful2011

#3 Post by hopeful2011 »

Thanks TumbleDryLow! I guess it figures it would look better on the model than in real life, LOL. I am sure it is a nice step up from braces though :)

I've subtracted this much time from my total treatment :lol: :lol: :lol:

jxds

#4 Post by jxds »

I wear essix retainers. I wore them all the day for 6 months, now I only wear them at night. They are more noticeable to you than to other people, and as long as you keep them clean, they will remain clear. If someone looks closely at your teeth, he or she will notice them, but otherwise nobody seems to notice.
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298