Ladybirds story braced 29.07.09 - Damon 3's with Pics x

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ladybird

Ladybirds story braced 29.07.09 - Damon 3's with Pics x

#1 Post by Ladybird »

Hello Everyone,

Reading this website has helped me a lot in preparing for my braces and so I though I would share my story too

So here goes....

I have wanted braces all my life. I went for an appointment for braces at my local hospital when I was 17 or 18, which would have been free on the NHS, but when I realised I would have to wear 'train tracks' I did a runner.

So that was that, I didn't think about it too much after that although I am always self conscious of my teeth. I cover my mouth with my hand when laughing etc..

It only seems to bother me though, and I was never teased about it.

I am now 29 and was braced 3 days ago on Wednesday 29th July.

I initially had a consult for '6 months braces' back in April 09 but they only straighten the teeth at the front and don't fix problems with the teeth at the back... and it turns out I have problems. Deep overbite, crowded teeth uppers and lowers, teeth don't fit together correctly at the back (don't know the technical term) and an off centre midline. This treatment would have cost £3,000.00

... so I had my dentist refer me to an orthodontist and the rest is history.

I went for Damon 3 braces which cost £2,950.00 and the consult fee, moulds, x rays etc were £95.

Before I could commence treatment I had to have 3 teeth extracted. Both upper 2nd premolars and lower left 2nd premolar, at £75 per tooth.
This was was by far the worst part of my braces journey so far.

I didn't cope well with having my teeth pulled out, I was short of breath, shaking and I couldn't hold the tears back.
After the 1st tooth the dentist said that he won't take out the 2nd one and I can come back another time and be sedated, which I already know costs £180!!! so I demanded that he take the 2nd one out and he did.

It didn't hurt during or after, it was just an awful experience.

When I went back for the 3rd one I knew what to expect, I was still a little shaky but this time I came out smiling

:)

So on brace day, I was quite nervous but everything went fine. I was in no pain and didn't have to have spacers or bands or expanders and all this horrible stuff I have been reading about. They cleaned my teeth and fixed the brackets, I think it took about 40 mins. I only had uppers for now BTW.

The next day my two front teeth were sore and I could feel pressure all around my mouth.
The only problem I had was that I smacked my sore front tooth with my spoon..OUCH!!!! and then with my glass OWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

...so smaller spoons and straws from now on!

Oh and my top front teeth keep hitting my front lower teeth when I speak which hurts.

Day - 3
The teeth in front of the extraction site on both sides are very sore... I am happy about this, I think It means the tooth is moving into the hole.
When I eat, sometimes the aforementioned sore teeth hit the bottom teeth which is sooo painful.... for about 5 mins

Day - 4
No problems, eating ok

The pains mentioned above are all impact pains, and generally the experience so far has been better than I expected, I expect my next adjustment will be worse.

I'm getting used to the three meals a day and regimented teeth brushing.

The braces are scraping the inside of my mouth a little, but I haven't needed wax yet.

My main problem is the look of them, they're more conspicuous than I thought they would be and I feel hideous. I'm self conscious with everyone I speak to and that makes me feel sad.... anyway I suppose I'll get used to it.

Sorry if this was a bit long winded
Thank you for reading my story.... here are my pics:

Image[/URL]
Left profile

Image[/URL]
Right profile

Image[/URL]
Overbite

Image[/URL]
Smiling - Lower midline is off

Image[/URL]
Lower crowding

Image[/URL]
Lower arch

Image[/URL]
Upper Arch
If you look closely, there appears be some sort of hair growth on my upper lip on the top corners of this pic... never have I ran to the mirror so fast!... turns out it's my eyelashes!! ha ha :lol:

Image[/URL]
Braced!

Image[/URL]

PrincessPeach

#2 Post by PrincessPeach »

well done on choosing to get braces, you wont regret it!
Lower Braces = 22nd June 09 - 2nd Sept 10 (14 months, 1 week & 4 days)
Upper braces = 10th August 09 - 2nd Sept 10 (12 months, 3 weeks & 2 days)

Ladybird

#3 Post by Ladybird »

Thank you PrincessPeach and againbrace
xx

sarahlynn

#4 Post by sarahlynn »

The braces look really nice, congrats on getting them! I felt hideous when I first got mine on too - that feeling WILL lessen with time. Now that I'm beginning to see some changes I'm already happier with how my teeth are looking and that is giving me more confidence to smile - with the braces! I have no doubt that you will feel the same way after getting adjusted to them. So hang in there, it will all be worth it!
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

Ladybird

#5 Post by Ladybird »

Thank you Sarahlynn for your kind words :D

It's just what I needed to hear and I have cheered right up!

I said before I got my braces that I would be happier smiling with straight teeth with braces on, than smiling with crooked teeth without braces on.

Hopefully that will be true, I can't wait to notice my first change!

x

asabea

#6 Post by asabea »

Hi Ladybird, I'm also 29 and in Milton Keynes, will get my brace fitted next week. Good luck with your treatment.

Ladybird

#7 Post by Ladybird »

Hi asabea,

Thank you for your post... so our treatment start dates are pretty close.

I bet you can't wait for next week! Once I had made my mind up I just wanted to get on with it.

I will look out for your story... Good luck for your B day :D

PrincessPeach

#8 Post by PrincessPeach »

You will slowly begin to love your braces! I know i do, you will smile so much with them on!

Margie

#9 Post by Margie »

Congrats on your decision to get braces!! You will start seeing changes before you know it!

sjrobin

#10 Post by sjrobin »

Hi Ladybird

I think you will be really glad made the decision now rather than wait till you're older.

Good Luck

mlholl19

#11 Post by mlholl19 »

Ladybird your braces look great! You have a very pretty smile, and your teeth are very pretty shaped. I hope your treatment goes well. Your teeth are going to look great.....they already do!

Ladybird

#12 Post by Ladybird »

Thank you Margie, sjrobin and mlholl19 for your nice comments

x

flesh-was-sweet

#13 Post by flesh-was-sweet »

Thanks for your comment on my teeth!

Congratulations on beginning your braces journey - it really is worth it - you'll be amazed I promise!

Ladybird

Ladybirds story braced 29.07.09 - One month update with pics

#14 Post by Ladybird »

I 've just passed my first month in braces. I wasn't going to bother posting pics because I couldn't see any changes from the front but then I took a picture of my arch and from the side and I now see some differences.

Also my top front two teeth don't touch my bottom front teeth as they used to and I think my top front teeth look a little bit longer.

I have posted before and afters, left and right respectively.

It's really exciting seeing changes for the first time!

x

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

PrincessPeach

#15 Post by PrincessPeach »

I can see some changes already, just think, in a few months they'll be perfectly aligned!!