LithpingLitha's Log *De-braced*

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LithpingLitha

LithpingLitha's Log *De-braced*

#1 Post by LithpingLitha »

I'm a 30-something female, starting my journey to a straighter smile. :dance:

First, a little background...
I've needed braces since I was a young child. Though my parents acknowledged and noticed my need, they did nothing to meet it. :cry:
I learned to smile from my better side for photos to create the illusion that my teeth were o.k. I'm ashamed to say that I have apologized for my crooked smile more times than I care to recall.
Every dentist I visited pointed out my obvious need for braces :roll: and assured me that I would need extractions. Fear of extractions :shock: kept me from pursuing a metal mouth as an adult.
My current dentist found a deep cavity in my left 2nd bicuspid and mentioned scary words like "root canal" and "crown". :yikes:
Sooooo, I begged for a referral to an orthodontist. In my state of panic, getting extractions and braces seemed a great alternative to a possible root canal! Maybe the ortho would take out my 2nd bicuspids instead of the 1st. It couldn't hurt to ask, right?
Last edited by LithpingLitha on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.

LithpingLitha

Ortho visit

#2 Post by LithpingLitha »

I was very nervous arriving for my consultation. The ortho was a sweet, kind guy who held my hand and let me cry during my consult. He looked over my mouth very carefully. Surprisingly :o, he assured me that I would not need extractions :-V
He said that:
*I’ll have ceramic uppers and metal lowers
*My arch is v-shaped.
*I have an overbite.
*My front teeth and most of my other teeth point inward.
*Once the front teeth are in proper alignment, there will be room to straighten out the overcrowding
*My front teeth need to move 4 mm
*I’ll need to wear a device (turned out to be a gelb splint) to keep my lower rt. cuspid from hitting my upper cuspid and bracket that needs to move out.
*lower braces would be delayed for 3 mons. so the cuspid and front teeth move out.

LithpingLitha

Crowning and Spacers

#3 Post by LithpingLitha »

I went back to my dentist for the dreaded prep. work for a crown. Thankfully, he was able to remove the decay without hitting a nerve, so I was spared a root canal. After three weeks, my permanent crown was placed and a few small cavities repaired. I was good to go! Yay! :HugeGrin:
My spacers appt. was the following week.
I got skinny spacers the first week. They stung upon insertion, but the pain subsided. I thought, "Hey, no biggie!" :D
That night I was miserable! :FeelSick: I questioned my decision to get braces. What would happen the following week with the bigger spacers? :shock: If I didn't touch my teeth, I could bear the pain. If I touched them, I would be in agony. I anxiously watched as my overcrowding became worse. :(
That's when I searched the internet and found archwired. Reading the testimonies and questioning friends who had braces, reassured me that the spacers might just be the worst part.

LithpingLitha

2nd round of spacers

#4 Post by LithpingLitha »

I went back to the ortho for my bigger spacers.
The assistant pulled out the old spacers, which were nasty!
Then she took molds of my teeth for the gelb.
She flossed the second set of spacers in. There was a little discomfort, but it didn't seem too bad.
The second week of spacers wasn't as bad as the first. There was much more crowding in my mouth...those spacers really work!...my gums felt numb.
:P
My BRACE DAY was Monday!
:-)o
On brace day, the assistant prepped my teeth with some gritty paste, and did some other things I couldn't quite make out.
The bands went on my molars. She changed sizes until she found the right one.
She put in the smallest lip spreader and a pouch with suction for my tongue. When all was ready, she placed a clear retainer with the brackets pre-set by my ortho onto my teeth, then she set them with the light.
The bracket on my crown popped off, so the my orthodontist replaced it.
Before I left, I got a goodie bag and instructions on my gelb splint.
Here are some pics....

Spacers...
Braces!!!!

Before braces...
Brand new upper ceramics...my teeth look a bit etched...

And here is the reason for my lisp...

I can't wait to get metal on my lowers!
:thumbsup:

samantha_lou

#5 Post by samantha_lou »

Great start to your story! Good news about not needing extractions or that root canal! Your ceramics look great! I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. How is the bite plate treating you? My ortho tried me with one of those, and I didn't do so well - it kept setting off my gag reflex constantly no matter how he tried to adjust it.

LithpingLitha

#6 Post by LithpingLitha »

Great start to your story! Good news about not needing extractions or that root canal! Your ceramics look great!
Oh, thank you, samantha_lou! :D
I notice that we got our braces almost the same day. Congratulations!
Too bad I'll be lagging on the bottoms.
How is the bite plate treating you? My ortho tried me with one of those, and I didn't do so well - it kept setting off my gag reflex constantly no matter how he tried to adjust it.

I dislike it. :x Thankfully, I don't gag, but my jaw is sore, I lisp, and food gets trapped around and under it.
The only good thing about it is that I got it in a pretty color. :wink:
It's raspberry with sparkles. :D

Denise- Thank you for your kind comments. I read your story before I signed on as a member. I need to get over there and make a comment. Your progress is inspirational. :rose:

smallbutmighty

#7 Post by smallbutmighty »

Hi LithpingLitha,
Sounds like you found an ortho with heart :heart: You are doing so well already-- I know I wouldn't tolerate that splint thing in my mouth for 2 minutes! Be sure to keep a small notebook with you to write down any questions or comments for the ortho. Take good care of your self and especially your mouth. KK will no doubt share her excellant care routine with you. I look forward to seeing your picture gallery of improvements.
Peace, Ruth :)

tulip

#8 Post by tulip »

Hiya, just dropped by to say welcome to archiwired!!!! This is a great place, where you will find tons of support and people interested in your progress. Well done on getting your uppers. Thanks for the pics - visuals are always great!! Look forward to hearing about the lowers before too long!

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

Welcome to Archwired Lisa :D Thanks for posting pics. As Tulip says, visuals are a great way to see what's going on and will help you monitor your progress too.

That top arch will probably start to round out pretty quickly and hopefully you won't have to wear the splint for long. It looks pretty uncomfortable. :?

Look forward to hearing more about your progress.

Take care!

Lisa

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

I realised straightaway, but then I do have an unfair advantage........ :P

emily25

#11 Post by emily25 »

Hi litha lol , just read your story. I like your ceramics , they are looking great :)

Cant wait to see your progress :wink:

LithpingLitha

#12 Post by LithpingLitha »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and encouragement, :heart:
smallbutmighty, Tulip, KK, Meratyn, bracedagain, Lisa65, and Emily25.
Be sure to keep a small notebook with you to write down any questions or comments for the ortho.
That’s a great idea, smallbutmighty. I already have some questions so it would be good to note them.
Looking at your additional appliance (bite splint), I think it's easy to understand why it will take a little longer to get used to ... but it will happen.
After wearing the splint for a week, I can eat a bit better.
The biggest annoyance is that I have to repeat mysthelf constantly! Which doesn't feel so great with cleats scraping my tongue. I resort to wax when my tongue feels raw, though I've lost some wax to swallowing. :oops:
The gelb pops off easily, so my tongue has a new toy. Maybe this is what it feels like to have mouth jewelry??? :)
And thank you for the great care advice, Karen! :-}
D'oh! I got to the end of this thread before I realised what your username means!
Meratyn, I'm glad you and Denise "got" my weird sense of humor. :lol:
A waterpik might help you with cleaning under it more easily. Has your ortho made any suggestions like exercises to help those jaw muscles not to ache so much? Good luck, and I hope the jaw pain doesn't decide to expand its sphere of influence!
Meratyn, I get to take it out to clean it after I eat. Too much food gets trapped under it. :yuck:
I wasn’t given any exercises to do, but that’s another great idea. I stretch my mouth to relieve the tension, though it’s probably not very attractive. I’ll likely have some unsightly habits to break after treatment. :crazy:

I had to wear one of those Gelb Splints for my TMJ before my first time in braces . I used it for about 9 months to reposition my jaw before I got the braces put on.Then while in braces my ortho had me use a retainer type bite plate for most of my treatment. I know what you are going thru with the splint . Although I could remove mine to eat and clean. Fortunatly It worked and corrected my TMJ, as I was getting some terrible headaches before that. Hang in there while it works its magic and you'll be fine after using it for your prescribed time. I'd bet that after a while you will relearn to talk with it in. Just keep trying and you'll get it.
Thank you for the encouragement, Ken! I feel better knowing that someone has btdt. I wish I could take it out to eat. That would be heavenly. Unfortunately, I bite the bracket on the cuspid. Once it lines up, I’ll be free from this splint. I can’t wait! I do wonder if my ortho picked this type of splint to correct my jaw/bite. :Questions:
That top arch will probably start to round out pretty quickly and hopefully you won't have to wear the splint for long. It looks pretty uncomfortable.
Thank you for the sympathy, Lisa65. After reading your story, I’m aware that you know what discomfort feels like. :shock: What I have to go through seems tame in comparison.
Glad that I could be of some help with LITHA'S nick name! Good one by the way Lisa! Very creative of you!
Later! Ken.
Thanks Ken! My creative moments are rare, so I try to seize them when they happen. :wink:
I like your ceramics , they are looking great
Thanks, Emily! :oops: :D

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

Her name IS Lisa Ken :lol: (well I assume it is) she was thanking Emily for saying her ceramics looked nice!
I don't think those grape chains are agreeing with ya :P

LithpingLitha

#14 Post by LithpingLitha »

Sorry for the confusion, Ken, I was thanking Emily!
To dispel any more confusion :oops:,
I'm a fan of the movie Josie and the Pu**ycats :rawk:
Parker Posey, in the avatar pic, played a hugely successful music mogul who was teased as a teen and nicknamed "Lithping Litha." She changed her name and disguised her lisp. I find the movie really funny. :jokerlaugh:
I thought the nickname fit this season in my life. :P
Sorry if it isn't as creative as you thought. :wink:

~LithpingLitha

emily25

#15 Post by emily25 »

lol ken , tiredness catching up with you :lol:

Sorry forgot to say how are you getting on with your braces now lisa. :)