Rude things people have said to you

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Aradia252

Rude things people have said to you

#1 Post by Aradia252 »

I was in class one day and the professor was going around to us individually, talking about midterms and what not. She sat next to me, and as I was talking she said "What is it that you always have in your mouth?!" :shock: I was shocked!! When I flashed her a smile, she made a comment like "Oh poor you..." then went on to tell me that she "prefers crooked teeth" and about how "we shouldn't care about beauty ideals." I thought this was very rude and unprofessional. But I'm sure there have been ruder things said... any one?

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

Jeeez!!!! Sounds as if she is jealous of you to me! Bet she has crooked teeth, right?
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

BHW

#3 Post by BHW »

I am a professor and I can tell you that if I did something like this I would certainly hope that the student would report me to my Dean. I hope you did this - if not, you should have - it is highly unprofessional and certainly uncalled for!

TuZZi

#4 Post by TuZZi »

I went to return a defective phone to the store today and the manager asked me "you didn't drool into the phone did you?" Another customer was standing beside me and gave the guy a really mean look, followed by a "I really hope you were joking." I didn't think twice of it and just laughed.

A couple minutes later another salesman came over and apologized for the other guy's comment, saying he was really rude and it was uncalled for. I told him I didn't even think of it that way, and just shrugged it off. I didn't take it as offensive, but I guess other people have my back! haha
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

Al Carter

#5 Post by Al Carter »

I haven't had any negative things thankfully.

Last night a friend I hadn't seen since I've been braced came around to trick or treat with his son. When he saw my braces he said that I looked like I was 14 years old - I coulda kissed him!
Work to live
Live to bike
Bike to work

SueFromNJ

Rude comments about braces

#6 Post by SueFromNJ »

I can't believe a professor would put down having braces! A professor should know how important it is to have a good appearance in a professional career and getting ahead in this world! Like an above poster, I can only wonder if this professor has a mess of crooked teeth and is feeling a tad inferior because of it!

Personally, I have not had anything downright rude, but the question I kept getting was "Why didn't you get Invisalign? There's no need for metal braces anymore!" :roll: :roll: :roll: I politely tell them that those famous commercials are misleading, and that Invisalign is best for mild cases. Invisalign was never an option for someone like me! People seems so enamored with Invisalign - everyone thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread! :roll:
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

kimberleena

#7 Post by kimberleena »

I have had people comment about my age (27) and how I have braces, and the "why didn't you have it done when you were younger," questions, but nothing outright rude.

I do believe that the people who make snotty remarks about braces are jealous. I know how I felt when I had crooked teeth (really bad crooked!), and I love the fact that my teeth, even in braces, look far better than those that used to make fun of me.

Dadio

#8 Post by Dadio »

I'm just waiting to get slammed by rudeness, but so far, it hasn't happened. Like last night, my daughter (also braced) was trick or treating with some of her friends and they came to our house. What a crowd! Anyway, one of the boys said oh you've got braces. He did too, but I thought, here it comes. No, he really wanted to talk about it. All the kids seem more interested than anything else. There was probably 12 of us standing outside, myself and 11 or so kids, and say half were in some stage of braces.

Closest, however, to a slam is I found out my wife told a friend she hoped she survived me being in braces and my daughter was a walk in the park compared to me. Hmmm, yes, I've had a fit trying to eat and not have my bottom front teeth hit my extremely tender uppers, but I thought I was doing okay. She told the friend I was just being a man. I think it has more to do with me being 34 years older than my kid, not my gender. I want to tell her to walk a mile with my mouth and see what she thinks.

Hang in there everybody!

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

Re: Rude things people have said to you

#9 Post by nahky »

Aradia252 wrote:I was in class one day and the professor was going around to us individually, talking about midterms and what not. She sat next to me, and as I was talking she said "What is it that you always have in your mouth?!" :shock: I was shocked!! When I flashed her a smile, she made a comment like "Oh poor you..." then went on to tell me that she "prefers crooked teeth" and about how "we shouldn't care about beauty ideals." I thought this was very rude and unprofessional. But I'm sure there have been ruder things said... any one?
Thats rates a 10 out of 10 in my rudeness scale. You'd Think an educated woman would not be so narrow-minded and beleive that having braces is a purely cosmetic thing.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Aradia252

#10 Post by Aradia252 »

Hahah, you guys made me laugh! :lol: As for my professor, her teeth definitely aren't perfectly straight, but they aren't crazy-crooked either. If anything, what I've noticed most about them is that they are darkened/stained. I guess it shows that she really doesn't care about her teeth. I guess what irritated me the most was HOW she said "What is it that you always have in your mouth?" Because I am slightly self conscious about the situation as it is, and she made it seem like I talk funny or something. The other thing was that she told me she prefered crooked teeth when I'm over here spending 4,000 bucks to FIX them! :roll:

Ceramics on top: 6/23/05
Lower Expander: 9/8/05, Removed: 3/30/06
Ceramics on bottom: 10/7/05

shinyam

#11 Post by shinyam »

"What is it that you always have in your mouth?"

That b****deserves to be slapped.

:x

*Denise*

#12 Post by *Denise* »

My superintendent asked me how am i going to service my man with them grills in my mouth. :evil: :arrow:
Last edited by *Denise* on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chocoholic

#13 Post by Chocoholic »

OMG that's a cutting remark to make.

I haven't had anything horrid so far, my boyfriend teases me but it's all nie and he gutted he can't call me bunnyface as a nickname anymore as the bugs bunny teeth are well and truly gone.

shinyam

#14 Post by shinyam »

Sheesh ... I'm surprised by the complete lack of professionalism in the workplace and lack of judgment. That is obvious sexual harassment. S/he should know better. :twisted:

Aine

#15 Post by Aine »

*Denise*....

I would report the Superintendent immediately to the HR Department or if there isn't one then to his/her Supervisor.....that comment has crossed the line and the law.