June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nozzelnut

Re: June/July 2015 Surgery Buddies

#1006 Post by Nozzelnut »

It's been a minute since I've checked in.

Jaime; at least you have a reason for the why. Just need a direction to move forward... Keep us updated on your decision.

Snap; hope you find someone that can help with the numbness and the other stuff too. Finding good Drs is even more difficult over the last couple years.

My ortho said there's a new type of retainer coming out in the next couple months, (might just be a new material?) he'd like to try with me. He was thinking it would be available early next year; so my next appt is Feb. Still wearing elastics every night with the current retainers and it's still a pita...
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

snapdresser

#1007 Post by snapdresser »

Good to hear from you Nozzel! The new retainers sound interesting. Did your ortho describe them or say what they’re called?

Regarding the numbness, I think about it less and less these days. Rarely at all, at this point, so I’m just going to assume it’s because I was a little “old” when I had my surgery at 30 years old so the nerves are a bit damaged. It is what it is. Nothing I can do about it now, even if it did continue to bother me a lot.

What did you mean by it getting harder to find good docs? Because of COVID?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Nozzelnut

#1008 Post by Nozzelnut »

It's sounded like a new material to me. I'll know more in a few weeks.

The Dr thing; a lot of Drs retired or left the profession in my area. I think we have something like 5-8 rheumatologists to serve a population of almost a million; including the surrounding counties. Even if you find a good one; I hope they have enough time to listen based on their patient load that day...
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months

Nozzelnut

#1009 Post by Nozzelnut »

It never really ends...

Back into Invisalign to move some teeth into better position for a more stable bite. Probably add some bonding to the back of my canines to keep the space.
Mornings are good after retainers all night; but by night time my fronts are hitting.

Starts in about 3 weeks. At least I don't have to pay the full amount as my ortho can make a short series of aligners.

Hope you're both doing well.

S

Nozzelnut

#1010 Post by Nozzelnut »

Well...

SARPE is now on the table. Things settling way too narrow. Wish we had done SARPE before double jaw; but better late than never.

Unfortunately first available appt is late November.

It never ends...

snapdresser

#1011 Post by snapdresser »

Nozzelnut wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:55 am Well...

SARPE is now on the table. Things settling way too narrow. Wish we had done SARPE before double jaw; but better late than never.

Unfortunately first available appt is late November.

It never ends...
Wowww that’s stunning. Have they mentioned you being a borderline SARPE case in the past?! Are you going to get a second opinion?

I’m sure Jaime has all the info on what to expect. It is good to have a path forward.
No braces

Nozzelnut

#1012 Post by Nozzelnut »

The previous orthos "knew what I needed" without any input from me. I always knew I needed more width but they all blew me off.

Hope we can move forward in the right direction from here.

I just want things done right at this point. Years ago I should have been more proactive in what I needed or what I thought I needed.

For anyone reading all these posts; be your own advocate. Ask questions and don't be afraid to stop things if they're not moving in the right direction.

snapdresser

#1013 Post by snapdresser »

Just wow. I think it’s really underrated to have a doctor that makes you feel comfortable enough to air your thoughts and gives them legitimate consideration. We’re talking about our faces here, it’s insane not to have any (or minimal) input.

What’s the timeline look like? How much width do you think you want, and how much are they recommending? I think I would benefit from SARPE but the rest of my face is too narrow to get good aesthetic results.
No braces

Nozzelnut

#1014 Post by Nozzelnut »

Actual width? I'd be happy with any! But guessing I'll need 6mm or so; more would be better. Large tongue; small jaws and I'll never have a stable bite until my upper and lowers stay together instead of me needing to stick my tongue between them. Tongue needs to hold the space against teeth and the facial muscles for a stable life long bite...

The other side of things is; I've been doing this for a while. I know how my teeth move. I'm not a 14yo kid that who's parents put their entire faith in the orthodontist.

2 more semesters I'll have my graduate degree... Kidding but we've been doing this stuff for a while

jaime

#1015 Post by jaime »

Sorry to hear you need another surgery, Nozzel! Recovering from SARPE wasn’t nearly as bad as double jaw surgery, but I was on soft food for awhile. The other thing that sucks is going in public with a big gap between your front teeth, but it’s short-lived, at least.

Looks like I haven’t updated the thread since after my ortho appt. I think snap already knows the story but it turns out that I have a (likely benign) bone tumour in my right jaw condyle, which has not only ruined my bite, but has put added strain on the left joint, which is super arthritic now. I was supposed to have surgery in May but the hospital employees are totally incompetent and didn’t get my insurance stuff figured out which ended up being a fight with C*gna (not sure if I can use company names here). It finally got approved and my surgery to remove the tumour is August 16.

I’ll have TADs installed during surgery, and then braces again at some point.

It really never freaking ends!!
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Nozzelnut

#1016 Post by Nozzelnut »

Jaime hoping for a completely uneventful surgery and recovery without any hiccups for you.

Please keep us updated!

snapdresser

#1017 Post by snapdresser »

jaime wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:58 am Sorry to hear you need another surgery, Nozzel! Recovering from SARPE wasn’t nearly as bad as double jaw surgery, but I was on soft food for awhile. The other thing that sucks is going in public with a big gap between your front teeth, but it’s short-lived, at least.

Looks like I haven’t updated the thread since after my ortho appt. I think snap already knows the story but it turns out that I have a (likely benign) bone tumour in my right jaw condyle, which has not only ruined my bite, but has put added strain on the left joint, which is super arthritic now. I was supposed to have surgery in May but the hospital employees are totally incompetent and didn’t get my insurance stuff figured out which ended up being a fight with C*gna (not sure if I can use company names here). It finally got approved and my surgery to remove the tumour is August 16.

That’s great news that you were able to show Cigna the light! I’ll be pulling for you on the 16th! Why do they need the TADs for this? Anchoring to your teeth would move your teeth?
No braces

jaime

#1018 Post by jaime »

snapdresser wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:45 pm
jaime wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:58 am Sorry to hear you need another surgery, Nozzel! Recovering from SARPE wasn’t nearly as bad as double jaw surgery, but I was on soft food for awhile. The other thing that sucks is going in public with a big gap between your front teeth, but it’s short-lived, at least.

That’s great news that you were able to show Cigna the light! I’ll be pulling for you on the 16th! Why do they need the TADs for this? Anchoring to your teeth would move your teeth?
That’s a good question, I was just thinking it was because I don’t have braces yet. I think it’s the easiest way of keeping things stable in the absence of braces, but he didn’t specifically say that.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

snapdresser

#1019 Post by snapdresser »

jaime wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:41 am That’s a good question, I was just thinking it was because I don’t have braces yet. I think it’s the easiest way of keeping things stable in the absence of braces, but he didn’t specifically say that.
Interesting. I guess it would be even better than archbars, but you’ll be locked down then, right? Good luck on Wednesday! Break a leg!
No braces

Nozzelnut

#1020 Post by Nozzelnut »

Jaime

Just watched your video. A little swollen but not too bad; better than what I was thinking.

Good luck with your TADs