Switched from Invisalign to Metal Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

moonallure

Switched from Invisalign to Metal Braces

#1 Post by moonallure »

Hi all,

I'm new here but definitely not new to braces. After nearly 3 years with Invisalign, I'd gotten to a point where I needed to decide if I was okay with "good enough" or if I wanted to continue on with refinements. I've been through so many refinement rounds I've honestly lost count. I just knew I wasn't happy with leaving it as good enough where my bite was still at my canines and I still had the slight overbite I'd so been hoping to fix. Therefore, I asked my orthodontist if I could switch to metal braces instead of continuing on with refinements that clearly weren't working. I just started my journey with Damon braces this week and I'm hoping this will do the trick. We're estimating another year in braces which honestly bums me out but I didn't want those 3 years to be for nothing either. I'm just going to take it week by week instead of thinking too much about how long this journey has been when I was originally told it'd only be 18 months max.

Anyone else here switch from Invisalign to metal or vice versa?

Excited to be a part of this community!

Speck

Re: Switched from Invisalign to Metal Braces

#2 Post by Speck »

Yep. I'm glad to have switched early on. The year will be up before you know it.
-Andy

moonallure

#3 Post by moonallure »

Speck wrote:
> Yep. I'm glad to have switched early on. The year will be up before you
> know it.

Do you mind me asking what made you finally switch and if you're still glad that you did? I'm really hoping for a much better end result. Invisalign was just so disappointing and I didn't realize being on them for an extended period of time could mess up your bite (apparently it's super common?).

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

The projected eighteen-to-twenty-four-months of treatment didn't seem so bad. At least at first. Then around five months into treatment the ortho told me that I'd be guaranteed to go into refinement stages. That reality combined with the daily hassle of brushing and flossing (around 825 brushing and flossing events over each six-month period) compelled me to make the change.

BTW, welcome to the board. :)
-Andy

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Typical day for me during Invisalign treatment:

Pull aligners for breakfast.
Have coffee/breakfast.
Floss and brush.
Reinstall aligners.
Pull aligners for Lunch.
Rinse aligners.
Have lunch.
Floss and Brush.
Reinstall aligners.
Pull aligners for afternoon coffee/snack.
Rinse aligners.
Have coffee/snack.
Brush only for coffee, floss and brush if having snacked with coffee.
Reinstall aligners.
Pull aligners for dinner.
Rinse aligners.
Have dinner.
Floss and brush.
Reinstall aligners.
Pull aligners for pre-bed snack.
Clean aligners.
Have pre-bed snack.
Floss and brush.
Reinstall aligners.
EVERY DAY for 18-24 months.

Your hands will be in and out of your mouth multiple times/day, so best have 'em clean.

Now, imagine doing all this with a busy and/or active lifestyle: On the go, in public restrooms, on planes, in gas station restrooms, etc.

Invisalign may work well, but it is not easy. My 2¢.
-Andy