Asking for tongue crib. Thumb sucker

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blove004

Asking for tongue crib. Thumb sucker

#1 Post by blove004 »

Hello all new friends! I’m new here and it’s my first pos. I actually have a ortho appointment tomorrow. And I am kinda nervous 😬. I am trying to quit a thumb sucking habit I’ve had for many years. I am a 33 year old man. Ya I Know, embarrassing. My teeth aren’t really all that crooked. So I don’t think any permanent orthodontics are necessary? But I need a physical help to assist in my thumb sucking. In my head I’m ready but it’s a habit none the less. Am I right to ask him for a removable tongue crib retainer? Or is he going to look at me like a crazy person?

bbsadmin

Re: Asking for tongue crib. Thumb sucker

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Kudos for taking charge of a problem like this! Sure it might be a little embarrassing, but your orthodontist can give you the best advice on how to stop this old habit.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

claudiofranck

#3 Post by claudiofranck »

Hello:
Of course go for it. I know it seems daunting, see my thread I just had a fixed one installed I will be telling my story and how it affects me how it is working.
Hopefully a removable one will work for you.

And see it this way since there is social distancing and you need to weary a mask outside there is no better time to make this decision. At least at first you will not have many issues with confidence.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck

blove004

#4 Post by blove004 »

Thanks for the support, all! I will let you know what happens later today after my appointment. I’m just hoping that he won’t think I’m a crazy person for asking for a tongue crib 😛.

blove004

#5 Post by blove004 »

So after my appointment today, my orthodontist is making me a removable tongue crib! I am nervous and excited to turn the page on this bad habit! 3 weeks I’ll have it. Does anyone have any experience with tongue cribs? I don’t really know what to expect

blove004

#6 Post by blove004 »

blove004 wrote:
> So after my appointment today, my orthodontist is making me a removable
> tongue crib! I am nervous and excited to turn the page on this bad habit! 3
> weeks I’ll have it. Does anyone have any experience with tongue cribs? I
> don’t really know what to expect

blove004

#7 Post by blove004 »

So after my appointment today, my orthodontist is making me a removable tongue crib! I am nervous and excited to turn the page on this bad habit! 3 weeks I’ll have it. Does anyone have any experience with tongue cribs? I don’t really know what to expect

claudiofranck

#8 Post by claudiofranck »

Hello:

I have had a removable one, just try and avoid the fixed one. I just a got a fixed one.

And first you will drool constantly but after a few days it should normalize.
Since it removable you will have no issues eating which is hard.

Talking will be hard, specially pronunciation of S and th mostly. It does get better but I still have a very pronounced lisp although it has been a little over a week with it.

I am guessing you will have the biggest issue sleeping. The first night you will wake several times because of the discomfort. Your tongue will be sensitive for a few days where it touches the crib, altii don't think it will be as bad as it was for me because since my problem is tongue thrust I press against the crib very hard. I bent the crib a little bit in under 5 days.

Just wear it as much as possible, the faster you get used to it the better, and the longer you will be able to wear it. So it will help you more.

Feel free to ask me anything and if I can I will help.

Tell us a little bit more about your appointment, what you say? What did the doctor say? Did he offer alternatives?

I think the more you talk about your habit the more aware you become (why I ask for details about your appointment), that is why I am making a very detailed thread about my tongue crib journey.

Happy for you that you are getting what you need and want.

Regards

claudiofranck

#9 Post by claudiofranck »

Hello, how did it go? Did you get it?