Surgical error/negligence?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cuttooth

Surgical error/negligence?

#1 Post by cuttooth »

Before seeing a med mal lawyer, I'm wondering if I have a case? Had open jaw surgery last year and a tooth was cut in the process. Recently saw an endodontist and now I need an extraction, bone graft, and implant. OS claims that I signed the consent form of risks and will unlikely be covered (Kaiser).

I understand that I signed a consent form about surgery risks. But I felt that the surgeon should have been practice more preventive care earlier and I could have gotten a crown instead. Would the situation be considered part of the risk or med malpractice?

Pequod

Re: Surgical error/negligence?

#2 Post by Pequod »

Go talk to a lawyer. A tooth being cut sounds like poor planning but I have no idea if it constitutes malpractice.

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

Howdy. Might it be a good idea to check the medical malpractice statute of limitations that applies to the state in which you live?
-Andy

snapdresser

#4 Post by snapdresser »

I would definitely talk to a lawyer about this. That said, the case might not necessarily be a slam dunk, so there’s a chance you’re left on the hook for legal fees. Nonetheless, I think it’s worth consulting a lawyer about and seeing what they think your odds of winning are. Good luck!!!
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018