Molar and pre-molar banding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

boxerboots

Molar and pre-molar banding

#1 Post by boxerboots »

Hello everyone
As a newbie UK based adult, I'm wondering if it's still possible to have my molars and premolars banded instead of bracketed. I have some older fillings, and clench my teeth at night, so was hoping for a bit more durability and security once the braces are on.
I should be starting ortho soon soon (records done), so wanted to make the right decision. Any thoughts or ideas gratefully recieved!
Thank you

Navygrrl

Re: Molar and pre-molar banding

#2 Post by Navygrrl »

I suppose you could bring it up with your orthodontist. I have two premolars banded due to fillings, but I didn't ask. My orthodontist explained why and we went ahead. Spacers are horrible, though, fyi.

cbraces678

#3 Post by cbraces678 »

I think you could ask for it if you wanted to, and see if they would do it if they don’t usually. My molars are bracketed, and I clench really badly at night. I haven’t had any issues with them coming off over the last 16 months. However, I don’t have any fillings that the brackets touch.

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

One would assume that bands are absolutely reliable, right? So far I've had one come loose and another break. Oddly enough, none of the glued-on brackets have failed. YMMV.

Wishing you a smooth orthodontic treatment!
-Andy

boxerboots

#5 Post by boxerboots »

Gosh! Thank you all for your replies, what a great support, and really helpful comments.

I do wonder, because of the chair time involved in separating and fitting bands, whether a lot of orthodontists are reluctant to band adjacent teeth. And maybe modern brackets adhere much better anyway in most circumstances.

I have experienced separators before, and limited banding (just on my 7’s) ... you’re right Navygrrl, not so pleasant, but I found I got used to them after a week or so if I tried not to focus on my teeth too much!!

Speck, was there any reason why your bands failed, that you know of? From what I understand, that bands must seat and fit really well to be effective. Again more time to organise and size, than is practical for some.

Interesting that you’re a clencher, cbraces678, and no breakage with your brackets. Are you wearing metal braces or ceramics? Does this make any difference?
Do you use a night guard wit braces?

Thanks again, I’ll let you know how my next appointment goes!

cbraces678

#6 Post by cbraces678 »

boxerboots wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 pm Gosh! Thank you all for your replies, what a great support, and really helpful comments.

I do wonder, because of the chair time involved in separating and fitting bands, whether a lot of orthodontists are reluctant to band adjacent teeth. And maybe modern brackets adhere much better anyway in most circumstances.

I have experienced separators before, and limited banding (just on my 7’s) ... you’re right Navygrrl, not so pleasant, but I found I got used to them after a week or so if I tried not to focus on my teeth too much!!

Speck, was there any reason why your bands failed, that you know of? From what I understand, that bands must seat and fit really well to be effective. Again more time to organise and size, than is practical for some.

Interesting that you’re a clencher, cbraces678, and no breakage with your brackets. Are you wearing metal braces or ceramics? Does this make any difference?
Do you use a night guard wit braces?

Thanks again, I’ll let you know how my next appointment goes!
I have metal braces! I am not sure if it makes a difference having metal or ceramic with clenching. Metal has held up very well for me. I do not wear a night guard. My ortho suggested that I just weather through the clenching during treatment because a guard will slow tooth movement and affect jaw position. Once I complete my treatment I will be getting a guard for sure. So far I find that the clenching isn't as bad as it was before braces. I used to have horrible head aches when I woke up, but I haven't had a head ache in months. I can tell that I still do it, but I think it has improved with the braces. I hope it gets better for you too!

boxerboots

#7 Post by boxerboots »

Oh yes! ... the morning headaches! Euch. I think it depends on the bite and whether the teeth clash as a guide to knowing whether brackets or bands.
Interesting to hear that your headaches have got better since you’ve started treatment. Do you feel your bite has improved too, or too early to say?