Insights to facial changes regardless of extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Seraphina22

Insights to facial changes regardless of extractions

#1 Post by Seraphina22 »

Many people experienced the thin face, sunken cheeks or temples, and protruding cheekbones, regardless of whether they had or had not have extractions. So extractions is obviously not the cause. But so why? this seems to be a question for everyone, me included, and the western world has not addressed it.

So i went to research from other countries and it turns out this is a very common issue for the Chinese! People who have not had extractions reported the same changes, with pictures as proof. It is a phenomenon widely discussed by their orthodontists as well. They said that although it is not a scientific thing in orthodontic studies, they are aware that it could happen. A thing to note is that it can happen regardless of the type of braces or aligners.
Reasons:
1) The main reason is weakening of the masseter muscles due to lack of chewing or lack of strength when chewing (as some of you have guessed). The masseters are connected to the temporalis muscle, hence sunken cheeks and temples. This can make it seem like cheekbones are protruding when it actually is not affected.
The following two reasons are just additional ones, may or may not be the problem.
2) weight loss.
3) Aging. They said that people above 25 have higher likelihood.
Extractions may also have a some effect.
They mentioned that 70% of people do experience these facial changes to differing extent. Many also do not notice the changes to report it (usually individuals below 18 who do not pay as much attention to their face)

Most importantly, people who experienced the facial changes recovered after debracing within a year or half. Some recovered or improved in the middle or towards the end of their braces treatment. There are also many facial exercises and massages created by the community to help.

Seraphina22

Re: Insights to facial changes regardless of extractions

#2 Post by Seraphina22 »

oh I forgot to mention, facial changes are much much more likely for people who already have high cheekbones. Most asians are born with high cheekbones so higher chances as well.

sugarnspite90

#3 Post by sugarnspite90 »

Hello! I'm glad to have found this, as I've been having the same problem. I had pretty high cheekbones prior to treatment, and only a little over two months into my treatment, I'm seeing sunken temples and sunken cheeks. I've considered stopping treatment, but I only have 18 months to go anyway. It scares me because some people say their face doesn't return to how it used to be. I've been chewing gum lately, and will continue, to see it this has any impact on my facial muscles. I'm also going to bring it up to my ortho in a week when I have my readjustment.

desertd

#4 Post by desertd »

This sounds about right. I know for me my face has changed slightly but I have also lost about 10 lbs since starting treatment. I have noticed the chewing muscles getting weaker. I tried eating a petite sirloin steak the other day & couldn't even though I was not in pain doing so. Just too weak.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

Vive18

#5 Post by Vive18 »

Oh you are awesome. Thanks for researching this!

Is there a link to the Chinese forum that discusses this?

Seraphina22

#6 Post by Seraphina22 »

Vive18 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am Oh you are awesome. Thanks for researching this!

Is there a link to the Chinese forum that discusses this?
you can go to zhihu.com and search "牙套脸"