Seeing a different orthodontist while away from home?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

midbraces

Seeing a different orthodontist while away from home?

#1 Post by midbraces »

Has anyone ever seen a different orthodontist than the one they usually go to while they were away for vacation, internships, etc.? I missed three months of treatment last summer, when I was going to the orthodontist every 6 weeks, which didn't feel as bad, but now I go to the orthodontist every 3 weeks and am close to finishing my treatment (around a few more months). I asked my orthodontist about whether I should see someone else while I'm away (it'll be almost 3 months that I'm away, again), and they said that orthodontists usually don't take patients of other orthodontists.

I'm nervous to see someone else who may not have the full information about me (if I were to find another one, I would make sure they both communicate with each other), but it also is frustrating having to delay my treatment for another 3 months.

Has anyone done this? Any advice at all? Should I just wait until I get back to prevent any potential issues? Thank you!

midbraces

Re: Seeing a different orthodontist while away from home?

#2 Post by midbraces »

bump!

Nozzelnut

#3 Post by Nozzelnut »

I wouldn't want a different ortho touching my ortho's work that far into treatment.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

gorillatoad

#4 Post by gorillatoad »

Your orthodontist is right, it'll be very hard to find another orthodontist willing to take on someone else's patient. Too much liability, also, risk of screwing up your treatment.

Even though it sounds like a bummer answer, I'd recommend just toughing it out and missing 3 months worth of appointments. What you could maybe do though is ask your orthodontist if he can schedule an appointment fairly soon before you leave, that way your braces are still active and doing what they need to do while you're away.

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

I've never heard of anyone seeing another orthodontist for several adjustments mid-treatment. I've only heard of people who went to a practice and they had 2 or more orthodontists in the office that they would see based on whomever was rostered.

Your orthodontist is right, you are not going to be able to find someone out of town to just take over someone's work for 3 months. There is the issue of liability, different philosophy/approaches to treatment, training and experience with working with the particular braces system that you are currently in and then there's the cost. You will be essentially paying double - what your owe originally to your current ortho and that 3 months to the other practice of the 2nd ortho.

If you just paid the other ortho by the appointment, which would likely include professional opinion + consumables - say a total of 4 appointments in 3 months if you go by the once every 3 weeks schedule, add the initial case briefing and final handover, you could be looking at being out of pocket by almost an additional $1k depending on how much things costs at where the 2nd ortho is at. That's alot of effort and money, not to mention what would your recourse be if treatment didn't go according to plan. I would say just stick with the 3 months delay.