15 days post-op - double jaw -

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

academiannut

15 days post-op - double jaw -

#1 Post by academiannut »

Tried my first solid food meal today and it was discouraging! Now that I"m starting my third week post-op, not sure how much I should try to exercise my jaws. I was given permission to take the bands off for 6 hours a day yesterday, but I put them back on after 3 hours today because I felt insecure.

Trying to mash refried beans and avocado into my face was hilarious and discouraging.

My surgeon's assistant definitely told me he was putting three bands on each side yesterday, yet there were only two on each side today. I think I'm supposed to add one more square way in the back but waiting till someone gets home from work to help me.... Wish I had a hemostat...

academiannut

19 days post-op - disappointed with results

#2 Post by academiannut »

I've been pretty upbeat up till now, but I'm feeling down at the problems at the moment.

My face is asymmetrical. I'm hoping some of that is swelling and it will resolve, but it looks like its the bones to me. Time will tell.

I had an endentulous smile, with lower lip covering my top teeth. It's improved, but seems to still be a problem. Can't see final result with braces and what not in the way, but still not nearly as much tooth show as I'd expect. I just want a smile where you can see my teeth when I smile. Frustrating to do all this, knowing I'll probably only ever do it once, and to not get that.

Overall, feeling very bummed.

NickH94

Re: 15 days post-op - double jaw -

#3 Post by NickH94 »

Hey, sorry to hear you are bummed about your surgery. That seems to be a common theme with orthognathic surgery.

I am about 2 months post op and also rather bummed out about the results so far. I had a severe underbite and crossbite. I had double jaw surgery and my underbite is completely gone, but now it seems like nothing fits together as it should. If I move my lower jaw I can fit my teeth together fairly well, but naturally closing my mouth just doesn't line up properly. on top of that, it can also be really difficult speaking sometimes and getting used to my new mouth. It really can be a discouraging process. I hope your issues can be corrected without the need for further surgery.

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There Academianut,
Stay strong because the swelling takes a full year to completely resolve. Interestingly enough, I found that as the sensation was returning, the swelling had gone down. My surgery was far from perfect but you do need to be patient and don't push the envelope if you're not ready. Heed to your surgeons plan of care. I, myself was on a liquid diet for ~12 to 16 weeks. I know you're probably starving but there are ways to get the calories in because everything looks ten times worse when you're hungry.

The Boost plus shakes (I like chocolate myself) + scoop of powder protein + frozen fruit and ice blended. I got two magic bullets (one for my office and one for home) that made it quick and easy to blend up. Personally I had issues with using a straw during the immediate post-op period and used Ketchup / mustard plastic bottles that I got off of Amazon.

Swelling is going to flare up and down the first year. Things that made it worse for me was talking and I think also eating (initially). When you think of it logically , you're using muscles and moving joints/ bones when you speak and eat. I made the big mistake of agreeing to speaking engagement (short but painful) during the first six weeks. Dumb, dumb move on my part. When I did that I was in miserable pain by the end of the day.

I'm wondering if they have you doing the popsicle stick jaw stretching exercises? I had to do this for the first year +. Took me a full year to get to the 24 stick goal that was set by ortho.

@NickH94 - can I kindly inquire if you are in braces? Typically you have braces both pre and post surgery. I would think that if you are wearing braces your ortho will fix the bite. If you are not in braces, you might want to get an orthodontic consult to know your options.
Stay strong!
Karla

academiannut

#5 Post by academiannut »

My surgeon keeps saying no exercises till five weeks, but i do have bands off 8 hours a day. Good to know this is not an unusual length if time to wait. I’m fine with the liquid diet - mostly just afraid I’m not going to like the results in the long term and wanting to heal up -

I think I’ll follow someone else’s advice and talk to surgeon about areas of concern at next meeting (teeth still covered by lower lip, chin still too prominent when I smile)

bmay2

#6 Post by bmay2 »

It's only been 3 weeks! Give it time.

NickH94

#7 Post by NickH94 »

[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=507538 time=1557914156 user_id=32146]
@NickH94 - can I kindly inquire if you are in braces? Typically you have braces both pre and post surgery. I would think that if you are wearing braces your ortho will fix the bite. If you are not in braces, you might want to get an orthodontic consult to know your options.
Stay strong!
Karla
[/quote]

Without trying to hijack this thread. Yes, I have had braces for roughly 1.5 years prior to my surgery. I just fear I may need some revision surgery or the braces alone won't be able to fix my bite enough to make me happy. I hope I'm wrong about this and plan on asking my ortho and surgeon in the next few weeks.