opening wide after surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nowiseethemoon

opening wide after surgery

#1 Post by nowiseethemoon »

Hello all,
I'm 6 weeks post surgery today! Currently I can open only 1 inch and that's after stretching since week 4.5. I started out with 9 popsicle sticks, then the next day was 10, but I got stalled at 11 the subsequent day, after I started breaking out in a sweat each time I pushed in the 11th popsicle stick. I made it to 12, yesterday, which is 1 inch. I use heat and massage, before and after.

Can anyone relate? Any stories to share? How quickly should I be expecting to progress? My jaw muscles are constantly aching and pulling. I have my appointment to remove my splint on Monday and an ortho appointment to replace my archwires on Tuesday (necessary due to the cut in the upper wire when my upper jaw was widened). Is ~1 inch going to be enough?? Lots of questions, I know. Just looking to share experiences with any others about jaw opening.

Nozzelnut

Re: opening wide after surgery

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

They're used to working in tight spaces. Don't feel like it's necessary to force your jaw open so they can "have more room" They'll have all the room they'll need.

It took me about 4 months to feel like I was opening "enough." About a year to get to "normal."

Don't forget your jaw suffered severe trauma during the surgery so take your time with recovery. That's not saying to not keep stretching; but don't force it so much it hurts.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

nowiseethemoon

#3 Post by nowiseethemoon »

Thanks for sharing your experience, for the advice and for the reassurance Nozzlenut!

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey there- you'll eventually get there. It took me a full year to get to 24 sticks; the goal set by my oral surgeon. What I found incredibly challenging was the length of time keeping the sticks in. My oral surgeon wanted me to do it for 30 minutes; now that was hard.
Karla

Konbawa076

#5 Post by Konbawa076 »

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering the same thing, but first were you all wired shut?
SARPE Surgery November 2017

Lefort I BSSO Genioplasty and Zygoma 18th February 2019

kplatt2010

#6 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There,
In my particular case I was banded shut for only one week. It still took me a year to get to the final goal of 24 sticks.
Karla

nowiseethemoon

#7 Post by nowiseethemoon »

I thought I'd check back in. Everything is going well! I'm now over 3 months post surgery. I've been going to physiotherapy for my jaw (not because a problem was identified, but because my orthodontist mentioned it in an offhand way before surgery and I followed up on it with my surgeon). I was never checked for my pre-surgery opening width, but I'm almost at 25mm now, which is apparently within the range of normal. It feels fine, no tightness or pain. I do jaw opening and stretching side-to-side and strengthening 2x every day and I'm probably going to stop the physio soon.