Can't get Floss Between Teeth!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jamierm

Can't get Floss Between Teeth!!!

#1 Post by jamierm »

Hey Everyone,

I got my braces put on yesterday!!!

Before having the brackets applied, I was able to floss between my teeth fine.
Now, after having my braces put on, I can no longer get floss between any of my teeth!! I have tried 4 different flosses and nothing seems to help!!
Should I wait it out and let my teeth adjust, or call the ortho? I'm kind of panicking because I LOVE my floss. It feels wrong not flossing.

Thanks!

lildropofsunshine

Re: Can't get Floss Between Teeth!!!

#2 Post by lildropofsunshine »

I don't have braces yet, but I've read a lot of people use Waterpiks and spam spam spam flossers. I plan on getting both.

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

This product works well for me:
7BF932C8-0A22-403C-A3CE-B742434B266D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andy

desertd

#4 Post by desertd »

Got mine two days ago & having the same problem. My mom ordered me a water flosser and am going to try the above flossers.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

jamierm

#5 Post by jamierm »

I do have a water flosser - thank goodness! I'm not sure if I've quite caught on to the most effective use with it, but I am learning!
I am just a little OCD lol. I love my floss, and it feels so wrong to go to bed without using it.
Decided to wait until the pain subsides, and if I still can't floss I will call my ortho.

kplatt2010

#6 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- I concur with the water pik and the oral b flossers. It's got this stiff plastic end that allows you to easily thread through the teeth and then you pivot the tip up with your tongue to grab ahold of.
I was totally a bad girl with not flossing and only water piking. Thought I was golden until I got the braces off and discovered the black triangles on the bottom front teeth. :(

Linline

#7 Post by Linline »

I use a waterpik, couldn't cope without it!

cbraces678

#8 Post by cbraces678 »

I’ve always used “Crest Glide Floss”... even prior to braces. It’s not stringy, and it’s more like satin floss. I’ve literally never had a single issue flossing. Sometimes if teeth have just moved it may be a bit tender, but I can always get it in. Maybe try that type of floss? I’ve had the dentist use different kinds of floss after cleanings and it was a nightmare. Satin floss is very durable, and thin. I’m super anal about flossing and absolutely have to floss everyday, so thankfully this has always worked for me! I also use a waterpik, but I still always floss at night.

WanderingWallflower

#9 Post by WanderingWallflower »

I had the same problem when I first got my braces. Turns out, there was an excess of the "glue" they used to cement the brackets and it ran in between my teeth. I did a dental cleaning and it removed the buildup and I was then able to floss.