Bone plates for 12 year old?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mom2V

Bone plates for 12 year old?

#1 Post by Mom2V »

Greetings, recently my dd’s orthodontist advised bone plates bc she feels dd has a “strong jaw.” She has not gone through puberty, and the doc says timing is ideal for bone plates, especially since it’ll help her avoid surgery in the future. Dd’s Teeth are good. Jaw doesn’t protrude per se, though if it keeps growing, could possibly make her less attractive, I guess. No guarantee it’s going to grow excessively. No evidence of facial flattening. Seems like such an extreme thing to do just in case she might end up a little less attractive if jaw grows. Really not sure what to do and hoped to hear feedback from others who have more knowledge/experience. Thank you in advance.

PierreDeFermat

Re: Bone plates for 12 year old?

#2 Post by PierreDeFermat »

My advice is to seek a 2nd and 3rd opinion with a board certified orthognathic surgeon, and also, your daughter.

Surgery always carries some inherent risk, and you may not want to go down that route unless absolutely necessary...

12 is young for surgery, usually around 16-18+ is acceptable if a person suffers from a life-affecting ailment..

Mom2V

Re: Bone plates for 12 year old?

#3 Post by Mom2V »

Yes, thank you for your reply. To clarify, the bone plates would be to avoid jaw surgery as an adult (at the age you mentioned). Plates would help the upper jaw to “catch up” to the lower jaw. And most certainly we are discussing with our daughter. 😊 The orthodontist sent us to a surgeon of those credentials and initially he did not see the need but after consulting with the ortho, saw there could be some benefit. It does not seem like a route we will follow but I thought someone here might give some insight from a patient or parent perspective. And yes, for sure 2nd opinion is in order.