SARPE expander questions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

osahater

SARPE expander questions

#1 Post by osahater »

Hello everyone,

I am new here and am just about to embark on my SARPE journey with potentially an advancement down the line, predominantly to treat OSA.
I have a high-arched, narrow palate and consequent narrow nasal cavity.

I am scheduled for surgery on 3/19/19 - a few days from now.
The expander has been in for a day now and so far it is quite difficult.
I have a few questions and I'd appreciate if any one can share some insights.

1) Excess saliva production. Does this go away with time?

2) Appliance biting into tongue. The appliance is in the way of the tongue, is biting into it and leaving marks on it. I am worried if this continues that there could be lacerations over time which complicates the situation post surgery. Is this normal and does it get better with time? I am still waiting to hear from the orthodontist.

3) Food getting stuck. Food is constantly getting stuck between the roof and the mouth and the top of the appliance. Is this normal ?

I feel if the appliance has a little more height, both #2 and #3 could get addressed but unsure if that compromises the device strength.

Thank you,
OSAhater

Nozzelnut

Re: SARPE expander questions

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

Hope everything went well with the procedure!!

Excess saliva will diminish over time.

Your tongue will be sore for several days; then feel better.

Food will always get stuck.

The issue with narrow palate and the expander is there's no room for the whole assembly closer to the roof of your mouth; so it needs to be lower. There's a minimum width when the expander hasn't been turned.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

osahater

Re: SARPE expander questions

#3 Post by osahater »

My SARPE surgery went along expected lines and I am recovering at home now. Happy to answer any questions if anyone has.

Nozzelnut, saliva production is indeed down from severe to moderate over the last few days. The tongue impring continues to be an issue but since surgery I've been numb and so it hasn't been an issue.