Questions about canine and central incisor brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pcspinheiro

Questions about canine and central incisor brackets

#1 Post by pcspinheiro »

Hello everyone,
as you may or may not know I embarked on a second round of braces to try to fix all the wrong done by a former ortho and I'm wearing these new self-ligating braces for a couple of weeks. Yesterday I took a good long look at all the brackets and noticed that the ones on the canines have the same profile as the rest, whereas the ones I wore before had a lower profile, meaning that the canines would, as they should, stand out a little bit from the rest. I'm worried about this because: 1- it's worsening my upper/lower canine conflict, forcing my mandible to bite further back due to my 1/2 class II relation on the left side and causing my TMD symptoms to manifest; 2- it's just not how normal teeth look; 3- it's a completely unnecessary tooth movement, especially given my very specific goals of just realigning the front teeth and try to close the extraction gap. I just don't see the point to this and since my previous brackets were not like this I wonder what's the reason for it. To those still "in prison", can you tell me if your canine brackets are slimmer than those of adjacent teeth? I told the ortho that I did not want the 3 years sentence to fix everything "by the book", and would only ever agree to it if things went wrong with trying to just address my issues with top braces, so I wonder if she is worsening those issues on purpose to make me do things her way... The other thing that's bothering me is that the brackets in the central incisors have this horrible angle to them, which will make these teeth angle out to the front like crazy. When you think things will go better the second time around because you talked the talk and explained clearly that you wanted a simple outcome and to move teeth as least as possible, I see things starting off terribly wrong... but I'll seek answers on my next appointment.

pcspinheiro

Re: Questions about canine and central incisor brackets

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

No one...? Can you guys just please look at your upper canine brackets and see if the wire is closer to the tooth that on the other teeth? I would really appreciate this, particularly from those with self-ligating braces.
Thanks!

cbraces678

#3 Post by cbraces678 »

I’m 90% sure my canine brackets have the same profile as the rest. I’m just out right now, but I am going take a closer look when I get home in about 2 hours and get back to you.

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

I’ve looked at the pictures I took during my treatment, and it looks like the profile of the canine brackets appear to be the same as the rest. I also don’t remember the wire being closer to the surface of the canines when compared to the rest.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

cbraces678

#5 Post by cbraces678 »

Yes, my canine brackets are in fact the same as the rest.

pcspinheiro

#6 Post by pcspinheiro »

Ok, thanks for your replies. However, I'm 99.5% sure that my previous braces had canine brackets with a slimmer profile, and with these I can feel the teeth being pushed in and the root out... I'll ask about this on the next appointment.
Cheers