Help dealing with being wired shut

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scopus

Help dealing with being wired shut

#1 Post by scopus »

hey im 1 week post op bsso surgery, and my mouth is wired shut which is harder than expected. Besides not being able to talk, 2 things that bother me most is my throat sometimes gets itchy from like medicated mouthwash or sometimes ill sorta choke on liquid or saliva and start coughing. couphing is hard and feels damaging with my mouth shut but i do my best to hold it in till passes.
2nd thing is FOOD. I got these large plastic syringes that i fill blended food with and some things no problem getting down like very liquidy soups, but for some reason certain smoothies and stuff i have very hard time getting through my teeth even though i make them liquidy. Dunno perhaps theres certain vegetables/fruits i should avoid? Often half the meal ends on my shirt, and sometimes the food creates blockage in my teeth than i am not able to get any more through, till i do a full mouth rinse. Im already quite skinny and at this rate will likely loose more weight which isnt healthy

any help much appreciated
thanks

kplatt2010

Re: Help dealing with being wired shut

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- personally I hated the syringes. I had read someones blog and gotten the suggestion to get plastic ketchup bottles. I bought like 8 on Amazon so you don't have to keep reloading a syringe. You can purchase them too through the dollar store and I would get more than one because usually one or two will leak. I also :lol: got an adult bib (another Amazon buy) because I was super messy with numb lips. I was only banded for a week thank goodness but I remember there was a tiny little gap that I was able to fit the tip of the bottle through. I would blend up frozen fruit in Boost Plus. Eventually I added a scoop of protein powder to get in more calories. If you have not already done so invest in a Nutrabullet or equivalent as it will blend up stuff a little finer.
In regards to your throat, I'm wondering if it's a little dry and irritated. If you have a humidifier I'd keep running that 24/7 and it might sooth your throat. You might take a look at Kelly's surgery blog because she gave wonderful advise. The url is http://kellysjawsurgery.blogspot.com/

Eventually you can upgrade to the Happy Tots baby food for snacks. I liked the pears, raspberry , and squash kind and apple / peach /pumpkin/ cinnamon flavor. They're quick and easy snacks and they put a little protein in some of them. The ones with kale and spinach were a little bitter to me.

Karla

scopus

#3 Post by scopus »

kplatt2010 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:06 pm Hey There- personally I hated the syringes. I had read someones blog and gotten the suggestion to get plastic ketchup bottles. I bought like 8 on Amazon so you don't have to keep reloading a syringe. You can purchase them too through the dollar store and I would get more than one because usually one or two will leak. I also :lol: got an adult bib (another Amazon buy) because I was super messy with numb lips. I was only banded for a week thank goodness but I remember there was a tiny little gap that I was able to fit the tip of the bottle through. I would blend up frozen fruit in Boost Plus. Eventually I added a scoop of protein powder to get in more calories. If you have not already done so invest in a Nutrabullet or equivalent as it will blend up stuff a little finer.
In regards to your throat, I'm wondering if it's a little dry and irritated. If you have a humidifier I'd keep running that 24/7 and it might sooth your throat. You might take a look at Kelly's surgery blog because she gave wonderful advise. The url is http://kellysjawsurgery.blogspot.com/

Eventually you can upgrade to the Happy Tots baby food for snacks. I liked the pears, raspberry , and squash kind and apple / peach /pumpkin/ cinnamon flavor. They're quick and easy snacks and they put a little protein in some of them. The ones with kale and spinach were a little bitter to me.

Karla
thanks for all the great tips! imma pick up some of those tools i was missing!

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

The sports squeeze bottle with the large straw helped me immensely. Slid the straw between my cheek and teeth, to behind my molars and bypassed any issues going through my teeth by starting at the front and sucking through them. Made things easier for me to swallow and stay hydrated. Hope that makes sense; I'll try to explain it better if it doesn't.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!