Extraction gap closure time

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Level75

Extraction gap closure time

#1 Post by Level75 »

Hi. What are people's experience of the time taken for extraction gaps to close? I've had 2 top teeth out, 5th in (sorry don't know technical terms) and was just wondering. It's been 3 months and I reckon it's a third closed. Just moved off round wires onto square.

I'm in ceramic braces. Thanks

StaceyJeannette

Re: Extraction gap closure time

#2 Post by StaceyJeannette »

I had an extraction in October and the gap is maybe half closed? My mid-line has to be shifted, so now I have gaps in between several other teeth also. Not looking forward to seeing a gap appear between two front teeth, but they tell me that it will happen. lol. Seems like it is taking forever and we are waiting for the extraction gap to close before any new wires are put in. I have metal braces.

I'm sure others who have had extractions can give you more of a time frame. I know when my son had two teeth extracted it seemed like no time his gaps closed.

Level75

#3 Post by Level75 »

It's amazing to think they can change the mid line. Before I started on this journey I had no idea how complex it all was. My ortho said it would take 18 months total but to my mind there wasn't much to do. I'm thinking the main time thing may be getting the gaps closed and everything settled.

StaceyJeannette

#4 Post by StaceyJeannette »

Yes, it's going slower than I hoped, but I'm kind of glad teeth aren't moving faster. I'm scared of root resorption and more gum recession.

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

Mine took almost a year to fully close. Closing of extraction spaces takes up the largest portion of the treatment time.

EllieMilo

#6 Post by EllieMilo »

I had 4 extractions and my ortho used rubber bands to help the gaps close. I wore them 24 hours a day and it didn’t take too long for them to close. Maybe a couple of months to close completely. It wasn’t as painful as I thought it would be either.

Lovespain5

#7 Post by Lovespain5 »

EllieMilo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am I had 4 extractions and my ortho used rubber bands to help the gaps close. I wore them 24 hours a day and it didn’t take too long for them to close. Maybe a couple of months to close completely. It wasn’t as painful as I thought it would be either.
Good luck with this :D
:?:-#):mrgreen: