Men with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pdog123

Re: Men with Braces

#16 Post by Pdog123 »

[quote=jem post_id=506951 time=1551538339 user_id=10905]
No problem being a man with braces. Just do it! I did and no regrets.

Jem
[/quote]
Thanks for that jem. It’s nice to hear from so many with good input on the topic.

gorillatoad

#17 Post by gorillatoad »

I imagine the generally strong societal emphasis on appearance for adult women has a lot to do with it too. I'm a middle school teacher and I see braces pretty much across the board in the 11-15 age range regardless of gender, but when it comes to "adult braces" I'd say probably around 4 out of 5 are women.

That said, I'll be joining the male braces club in just a few weeks! Molds and records are done, now just to get things started. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't partially about appearance for me as well, but it's far more about functional arch/bite issues.

Pdog123

#18 Post by Pdog123 »

[quote=gorillatoad post_id=507016 time=1552281676 user_id=32680]
I imagine the generally strong societal emphasis on appearance for adult women has a lot to do with it too. I'm a middle school teacher and I see braces pretty much across the board in the 11-15 age range regardless of gender, but when it comes to "adult braces" I'd say probably around 4 out of 5 are women.

That said, I'll be joining the male braces club in just a few weeks! Molds and records are done, now just to get things started. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't partially about appearance for me as well, but it's far more about functional arch/bite issues.
[/quote]
I guess when you are 11-15 the choice really is out of your control. But as adults we just have to make that choice for ourselves weather it be for appearance or arch/bite issues. Thanks for your input.Good Luck with your braces.

Jethro

#19 Post by Jethro »

I got braces last treatment primarily for functional issues (crowding, crossbite, tmj issues, etc.), but getting straight teeth in the process was a great bonus. I had ceramic uppers and metal lowers. This round is solely for functional reasons as the aesthetic improvement will be minimal. I have all metal this round.

My totally anecdotal evidence tends to support the observation that more adult women get braces than men.

All the Best,

Jethro

Pdog123

#20 Post by Pdog123 »

Jethro wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:01 pm I got braces last treatment primarily for functional issues (crowding, crossbite, tmj issues, etc.), but getting straight teeth in the process was a great bonus. I had ceramic uppers and metal lowers. This round is solely for functional reasons as the aesthetic improvement will be minimal. I have all metal this round.

My totally anecdotal evidence tends to support the observation that more adult women get braces than men.

All the Best,

Jethro
Thanks for the info Jethro. I believe with all the good feed back I have gotten I have made the decision to go for it just like y’all have done. I have an appointment in a month for my 6 month check up and am going to talk with my dentist about it. The good thing is that she and the orthodontist share an office so hopefully it will be pretty easy. Thanks again.

DeSnek

#21 Post by DeSnek »

I’m a 29 year old man and I’m getting braces next week! I do feel like I see more adult women with braces than men but it’s completely anecdotal and I imagine the distribution is close to 50/50

ajs604

#22 Post by ajs604 »

I think more and more men are getting baces now. If your not happy with the apperance of your teeth, then go for it. It took me until my 30s to overcome the fear of braces and how I would be percieved as an adult male with braces. I found that no one cared. Overall improved my self-confidence and outlook on life. I went out on dates, to resturants ect. It never stopped me doing anything and I honestly think not many people even noticed. I think anyone that has braces regardless of their age or sex should be admired as they are doing something to improve their health and self-esteem.
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13