Men with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pdog123

Men with Braces

#1 Post by Pdog123 »

I am a 47 year old male with no so great teeth. But what I want to know is why not many guys that are older get braces? There are a lot of women but very few men? Is it just a guy thing? We don’t care about it as much as women?

SDFD TSchott

Re: Men with Braces

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I'm 33 and in braces atm. I see alot of older guys put in my area with braces but as you said more woman then guys.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Pdog123

#3 Post by Pdog123 »

Thanks for the info SDFD TSchott. With that being said since you are going through it if you don’t mind me asking is it worth it? And what type of braces do you have?

desertd

#4 Post by desertd »

I think it's an appearance thing. We don't put as much pressure on ourselves or each other. Heck, I'll admit I likely wouldn't be getting orthodontia if it wasn't for my bite problems.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

Pdog123

#5 Post by Pdog123 »

Thanks desertd for your thoughts. I have been mulling the idea over and just wanted to find out the thoughts of other guys with braces.

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I got mine to assist with helping alleviate my TMJ issues.

Level75

#7 Post by Level75 »

I know 2 guys who have had braces as adults. Don't let it put you off that more women have than men. Think of the end results!

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

I got braces at age 62 mainly to correct some functional issues. My two year sentence ran into three due to some stubborn gaps. I've been out of braces for about 3 years (I lose track).

The presenting issue was a gap that existed because an incompetently placed crown that allowed the existing tooth to decay, and its subsequent extraction. My options included an implant which would fix that single issue, or braces that would fix that and tweak my bite, and hopefully prevent issues from developing in the future. I didn't have any major cosmetic issues, at least from the dental perspective :wink: . It really was a case of evaluating the facts of my case and taking the most effective approach for the long run. It's been my observation that adult women outnumber adult men in braces, perhaps because minor dental issues can lend a certain air of uniqueness and character in a man, and of course we tend to be big babies when it comes to discomfort (my professional opinion as an RN). I've taken the road less travelled throughout my life and while I value other people's opinions, I don't allow them to dictate how I live my life. Having a high degree of self-confidence will carry the day. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Pdog123

#9 Post by Pdog123 »

[quote=Level75 post_id=506930 time=1551441952 user_id=32666]
I know 2 guys who have had braces as adults. Don't let it put you off that more women have than men. Think of the end results!
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Level75. You are right it’s all about the outcome or as they say it’s not about the journey it’s about the destination.

Pdog123

#10 Post by Pdog123 »

[quote=djspeece post_id=506931 time=1551442751 user_id=20342]
I got braces at age 62 mainly to correct some functional issues. My two year sentence ran into three due to some stubborn gaps. I've been out of braces for about 3 years (I lose track).

The presenting issue was a gap that existed because an incompetently placed crown that allowed the existing tooth to decay, and its subsequent extraction. My options included an implant which would fix that single issue, or braces that would fix that [i]and[/i] tweak my bite, and hopefully prevent issues from developing in the future. I didn't have any major cosmetic issues, at least from the dental perspective :wink: . It really was a case of evaluating the facts of my case and taking the most effective approach for the long run. It's been my observation that adult women outnumber adult men in braces, perhaps because minor dental issues can lend a certain air of uniqueness and character in a man, and of course we tend to be big babies when it comes to discomfort (my professional opinion as an RN). I've taken the road less travelled throughout my life and while I value other people's opinions, I don't allow them to dictate how I live my life. Having a high degree of self-confidence will carry the day. Best of luck to you!
[/quote]
Thanks for all of the information djspeece sounds like that is what I need to do not worry what others think and do what is best for me. Great advice . Hope you have a great day.

Pdog123

#11 Post by Pdog123 »

[quote="SDFD TSchott" post_id=506885 time=1551025341 user_id=4852]
I got mine to assist with helping alleviate my TMJ issues.
[/quote]

Hey just curious what type of braces do you have?

SDFD TSchott

#12 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Nothing special the regular metal braces.

Heartofdarkness

#13 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Just a wild guess, but it's scientifically proven that women smile and laugh more than men, which would actually make women show their teeth more, and therefore wanting them to look good, and to feel more confident in social situations.

jem

#14 Post by jem »

No problem being a man with braces. Just do it! I did and no regrets.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Pdog123

#15 Post by Pdog123 »

[quote="SDFD TSchott" post_id=506947 time=1551507832 user_id=4852]
Nothing special the regular metal braces.
[/quote]

Thanks for that gives me something to think about.