Flying after surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KateR

Flying after surgery

#1 Post by KateR »

I have to travel for work which means flying. I can't find guidelines for when I can fly. Does anyone have advice/experience? I want to make sure I am safe but it would be much easier to fly than get public transportation.

tommm31

Re: Flying after surgery

#2 Post by tommm31 »

hey,
my surgeon adviced me not to fly during 10 days post surgery. maybe that helps...

snapdresser

#3 Post by snapdresser »

I flew internationally (about 7 hours) when I was about 10 weeks post-op. No problems at all.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

overthewater

#4 Post by overthewater »

I have to travel to get my surgery. For my first double jaw and genioplasty surgery, the surgeon said I could fly home as soon as I was released from the hospital, and I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights post op.

kplatt2010

#5 Post by kplatt2010 »

Interesting. My surgeon made me stay in the area for one week.
Here are a few things to consider...
After surgery one of the big challenges is breathing out of your nose. I would not want to get exposed to those contained germs after having this major surgery.

Second consideration is your appearance two days after surgery. My face was still very swollen two days post where I looked like I had been in a boxing match with my hands tied behind my back LOL.

Flying ten weeks post-procedure I think is completely doable. Flying two days after this procedure; a hard no.

Karla