Facial changes after 4 extractions: an anecdote

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lovespain5

Facial changes after 4 extractions: an anecdote

#1 Post by Lovespain5 »

A humorous situation arrived to me the other day. I had to show an student card to get a reduction. On this card I have an old ID photo, before getting my treatment. So with lip strain, puffy mouth and appearent teeth. And the cashier did not recognize me at all! I had to explain for 10 minutes, until getting an OK, with some doubts. That is the proof of the success of my treatment :lol:
:?:-#):mrgreen:

angeamber

Re: Facial changes after 4 extractions: an anecdote

#2 Post by angeamber »

It's quite reassuring to know that you're unrecognizable - and for the better! - after the extractions! I had them done not even a month ago! I can't wait until they close up! :jump:

Lovespain5

#3 Post by Lovespain5 »

angeamber wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 pm It's quite reassuring to know that you're unrecognizable - and for the better! - after the extractions! I had them done not even a month ago! I can't wait until they close up! :jump:
In fact my bimax protrusion was characteristic for my face. The gaps closure will naturally lead to an increase of your nasolabial and your chin-lower lip angles, which straightens the profile and changes slightly facial proportions. You will see, you will enjoy a lot the result if your suffer from bimax protrusion.

jeffhere

#4 Post by jeffhere »

Dude, I wish i got extractions.
Ortho refused to do it though
Everyone refuses to do it because they think it wouldn't be worthwhile for me
But all I see is the bimax

kplatt2010

#5 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey there- I thought the same thing. I was getting MMA surgery and needed braces before and after. Ortho said remove a couple of bottom teeth to match the teeth removed as a teen for first set of braces. I went ahead and had the two teeth extracted, and had the jaw surgery. I was supposed to have braces for six months post and now we are going on ~17 months (total brace time ~3 years...).

The problem with pulling teeth and adjusting jaws / bites is that sometimes then the teeth will tip inwards. This is what has been holding up the removal of my braces is because my bottom molars had tipped in. I was told easy fix with strong wire that will make then roll out. Nope, not so easy. I've gotten them 97% corrected but it's never going to be 100%. If I had a do over; I'd say no. The ortho even freely admits now that my teeth tipped in because of the extractions.

In hindsight; I think it was supposed to be a time saving measure but it ended up tipping the molars in. Once those teeth are gone, they are gone. No do overs.

Lovespain5

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

jeffhere wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:05 pm Dude, I wish i got extractions.
Ortho refused to do it though
Everyone refuses to do it because they think it wouldn't be worthwhile for me
But all I see is the bimax
Hello! Do you suffer from lip incompetence? Because it is often the reason which motivate a competent orthodontist to choose the extraction route, as it was for me.

Lovespain5

#7 Post by Lovespain5 »

kplatt2010 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm Hey there- I thought the same thing. I was getting MMA surgery and needed braces before and after. Ortho said remove a couple of bottom teeth to match the teeth removed as a teen for first set of braces. I went ahead and had the two teeth extracted, and had the jaw surgery. I was supposed to have braces for six months post and now we are going on ~17 months (total brace time ~3 years...).

The problem with pulling teeth and adjusting jaws / bites is that sometimes then the teeth will tip inwards. This is what has been holding up the removal of my braces is because my bottom molars had tipped in. I was told easy fix with strong wire that will make then roll out. Nope, not so easy. I've gotten them 97% corrected but it's never going to be 100%. If I had a do over; I'd say no. The ortho even freely admits now that my teeth tipped in because of the extractions.

In hindsight; I think it was supposed to be a time saving measure but it ended up tipping the molars in. Once those teeth are gone, they are gone. No do overs.
In fact, dental arches become smaller after a 4 premolar extraction treatment. And teeth have gone well back (8mm of retraction after all). For me it is the same thing. Sometimes it is even one of the goals of the treatment. Personnally this doesnt bother me as I like a lot my facial result. Are your facial results good at this stage of treatment?

badbraces

#8 Post by badbraces »

I had 4 premolars removed and people have been saying my face changed after a year of using braces! I looked like a monster before my extraction and before powerchains pulling my teeth :lol:

I can't wait for them to be removed! :D

Lovespain5

#9 Post by Lovespain5 »

badbraces wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 pm I had 4 premolars removed and people have been saying my face changed after a year of using braces! I looked like a monster before my extraction and before powerchains pulling my teeth :lol:

I can't wait for them to be removed! :D
:lol: This image represents exactly how I felt before receiving my treatment :lol: