ArchWired Re-Design, Opinions Wanted!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

ArchWired Re-Design, Opinions Wanted!

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

Hey everybody!

I'm finally going to be re-designing the ArchWired.com website (NOT the message board, at least not yet -- I'm talking about the main website of www.archwired.com).

I would like to know what sort of features you would like to see on the site. I'm open to almost anything. If you know anything about websites, it will be a WordPress site, so I can use WordPress apps and plug-ins. I will also be needing to add some new content to the site, so if you're interested in writing an article or whatever, please let me know. If any of the dentists or orthodontists who frequent this message board would like to have a column or write some articles, I'm open to that, as well.

ArchWired has needed a re-design for many years, and I'm happy that this project is finally going to happen! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,
Lynn
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

SDFD TSchott

Re: ArchWired Re-Design, Opinions Wanted!

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Lynn I'll take a look later and make some suggestions. Also sending you a PM

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

Thanks, Tim!

So, this post has gotten 33 views and only one reply? I would really like to hear from you guys! I know that most of you probably only hang out here on the message board, but I would love to hear your opinions and ideas for the redesign of the main website. What would you like to see? What would you find helpful?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

AndAndAnd

#4 Post by AndAndAnd »

Like Tim, let me think about it as well. I am a software developer and spent a decade or so developing websites before moving into apps. I haven’t had Wordpress experience though. Is it purely functional and UX behaviour you are asking about? I gather you are not looking for design input, as you’ll be paying for an off-the-shelf theme.

Prometheus

#5 Post by Prometheus »

1. I think a reference section would be helpful. Twice during my 3 year stint in braces I had Propel treatments. I had to look 'round the web to find out what that was all about (not fun if you are wondering!). You could have a Reference database section that had descriptions and useful links for orthodontic terms, appliances, approaches etc. I see a lot of new folks on here wondering what a Tad, tongue crib, expander, lip bumper etc is and what they are used for. A reference section would be a good starting point for those needing info.

2. It seems most adults, including me, enjoyed some moral support from other braced adults in making their decision to get braces and getting through the initial few months. I found the "Stories From Our Readers" section on Archwired was helpful and comforting. I would expand and update that part of the site.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm looking for opinions on what you'd find the most helpful in terms of content on ArchWired.com. The idea about a reference section is great! At first I will just be porting most of the existing content over to the new design, but I plan to also expand the website to make it even more helpful to folks who are thinking about getting braces, who are already in braces, or who are done with braces. I don't have much content on the site now about Invisalign and would like to expand that category, as well. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

In terms of the actual UX/Design -- right now, I'm having a tough time picking a Wordpress theme but I'm sure I'll find one that suits the site. I know that I can change out the theme (for free themes) but I would hate to buy a theme via Premium and then realize it doesn't work as well as I'd like for the content.

This overhaul has been needed for a long time. I'm glad to finally be working on it!

almost40

#7 Post by almost40 »

It’d be nice to have topics organized by a specific Class problem. Like Class II people, Class III people, deep bites, etc.

Navygrrl

#8 Post by Navygrrl »

almost40 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:56 pm It’d be nice to have topics organized by a specific Class problem. Like Class II people, Class III people, deep bites, etc.
I like this idea. Maybe also something that defines what these problems are. I always feel like I'm looking up some term because I don't know what it means.

Speck

#9 Post by Speck »

Hi, Lynn. Maybe you will find ideas/inspiration here:

https://wordpress.org/showcase/

Have fun with the redesign!
-Andy

Speck

#10 Post by Speck »

Some impressive sites:

http://silversunpickups.com

https://www.daybreaker.com

https://www.rockmywedding.co.uk/thelist/

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com

http://www.gracenote.com

I'm a big fan of splash pages. Often an/a attractive/beautiful splash page is the thing that will lure me into the main site.
-Andy

djspeece

#11 Post by djspeece »

To be honest I wasn't familiar with this page, but I can understand why you are seeking a redesign.
Pondering the types of questions and comments I have seen on the metal mouth forum, I'd suggest some possible content "buckets:"
- The Forums
- What to do now that you have braces?
- Common problems and solutions (includes selected items on Dentakit.com)
- Pain
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty eating
- Emotional aspects (self image, opinions of others, what do others think of me?)
- Surviving bite blocks
- and so forth
- I need a pep talk and a laugh (perhaps link to threads like "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins")
- The world of elastics and powerchains
- What elastics do and why they need to worn as directed
- What do powerchains do and will they hurt?
- How braces work
- How do I communicate with my orthodontist?
- Beware of these (re: some of the stickies about 6 month smiles and so forth)
- Surgical Approaches and Discussion

Just a few ideas, not sure if they are what you are looking for, Lynn. Best of luck in any event!

P.S. The lists really didn't indent as written but I hope you can see which lines belong together...
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying