How did you manage to work with a splint in for 5 weeks?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

treestumpish

How did you manage to work with a splint in for 5 weeks?

#1 Post by treestumpish »

I am expecting a splint on my upper arch for 5 weeks. How did you guys work with it in for that long? I work an office job, so I am worried about not being able to communicate or how I can have lunch with a syringe in a shared space. Were you able to use a straw after a while?

nowiseethemoon

Re: How did you manage to work with a splint in for 5 weeks?

#2 Post by nowiseethemoon »

I'm at 6 weeks with a splint and started work this week. I'm not still using syringes--are you wired shut or tightly banded? I have just two elastics, so that would be a big difference in terms of talking and eating. I sound like a goof ("st" is the hardest) and sometimes I spit. I just tell people what's going on and apologize if people can't understand me well. I eat at my desk and run to brush my teeth after. I've done short days, worked from home today, and am simply taking tomorrow off! Splint comes off next week. I can't wait.

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

I’m in lingual braces so can relate to the issues with speech problems. When I first got them on I cycled home from the orthodontist and practiced speaking when no one was near... I could barely pronounce a single word. You do adjust to changes in your mouth over time, but it can take time and needs some practice. For me, reading stories to my children at bedtime really helped. It does get better if you practice the sounds that are hard to say.

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey Treestumpish,
The syringes are for the birds! Get yourself the plastic ketchup bottles. I got like a six pack from Amazon because (a) they're cheap, and (b) you might get a lemon in the bunch.

It's challenging to use a straw because your lips are numb at first and I think sucking (negative pressure) with straw was a no for first week. You should read Kelly's surgery blog as she has some super terrific ideas / suggestions.
http://kellysjawsurgery.blogspot.com/
Karla

treestumpish

#5 Post by treestumpish »

[quote=nowiseethemoon post_id=506554 time=1547757044 user_id=30815]
I'm at 6 weeks with a splint and started work this week. I'm not still using syringes--are you wired shut or tightly banded? I have just two elastics, so that would be a big difference in terms of talking and eating. I sound like a goof ("st" is the hardest) and sometimes I spit. I just tell people what's going on and apologize if people can't understand me well. I eat at my desk and run to brush my teeth after. I've done short days, worked from home today, and am simply taking tomorrow off! Splint comes off next week. I can't wait.
[/quote]

Thanks! I have not yet gotten the surgery, I am trying to determine how much time off I'll need to take (I only have ~10 sick days off). That's a good point -- I'll ask my surgeon if I will be tightly banded or wired shut. Thanks for sharing, and I am excited for your splint to come off!! :)

[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=506568 time=1547849222 user_id=32146]
Hey Treestumpish,
The syringes are for the birds! Get yourself the plastic ketchup bottles. I got like a six pack from Amazon because (a) they're cheap, and (b) you might get a lemon in the bunch.

It's challenging to use a straw because your lips are numb at first and I think sucking (negative pressure) with straw was a no for first week. You should read Kelly's surgery blog as she has some super terrific ideas / suggestions.
http://kellysjawsurgery.blogspot.com/
Karla
[/quote]

Oh that's really good advice, and thanks for the link! I'll read her blog for more information! It looks like she's a student though and was able to get around the time off with school time off.

kplatt2010

#6 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- I had the works; both lower and upper jaw surgery. I took two weeks of leave and then I was able to telework for one week.
Keep in mind; you'll be pretty swollen following the surgery and even at the three week mark, I was still puffy in the face. Also; my job is a desk job but requires me to speak :lol: Talking a lot resulted in ^pain and ^swelling. My surgeon bands you for one week only and no post-op splint. This might have been a different scenario with a splint.

In a perfect world; I would take off three weeks and telework one week. Or even take a month; although I'm a vacation time hoarder...
Karla

treestumpish

#7 Post by treestumpish »

Thanks! I also work a desk job, where I am in meetings about 30% of the time. I initially told my manager I'll probably take 1 week then work the next, but the more I look into it, the more it seems I might need the full 2 weeks off and telework starting the third week. Are you me!? I am also a vacation time hoarder haha. I'll chat with my manager again after my pre-op consult with my surgeon. My original estimates were based off a friend's experience, since he has the same job as me.. but he only did 1 jaw, so I feel like my mileage will definitely vary.