Metallic dental fillings : to change or not?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lovespain5

Metallic dental fillings : to change or not?

#1 Post by Lovespain5 »

Hi users! I am not a metal mouth anymore but ... not entirely. I have dental fillings in metal on my first molars since a teenager. Some people adviced me to change them with white ones, because they say metallic fillings are not good for the teeth, can create root canals or could even be poisonous for the entire mouth throughout the years. My orthodontist adviced me to do as I want, and metallic fillings are not dangerous as sometimes said. Is it compulsory to change them, as they havent moved for years? Is the replacement of a filling finally dangerous for a tooth stability? Thank you.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

assertives

Re: Metallic dental fillings : to change or not?

#2 Post by assertives »

My advise is not to fix what is not broken. White fillings are very technique sensitive so if was not done properly, it can cause sensitivity. They also do not last as long as metal ones, especially on molar teeth where it takes alot of the chewing load compared to the front teeth. As for whether replacing a filling would affect the tooth, every time any filling is replaced, the tooth will loose more of its tooth structure as the dentist will need to shape the space for the new filling to be put in.

I can't really comment on whether metal fillings are bad for the mouth because I don't really know, but from what I've read, it seems people who have metal fillings do not have more health problems than those who don't.

Gia

#3 Post by Gia »

I agree with Assertives. I have had some metal fillings replaced with composite, but only after many years when the meta filling had to be replaced anyway. My metal fillings are probably 30 years old at least, and I've already had to have composite replaced after about 10. I haven't had any negative effects otherwise. My understanding is that the research on the danger of metal fillings is quite controversial and not well supported in the dental research, more by holistic practitioners. Aesthetically, I like not seeing the big silver fillings.

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

I agree with both Assertive and Gia regarding leaving it be. Composite is not as strong as the old amalgam. Yes it has trace mercury in it but I've had mine for 40 years. One of my deep composite fillings; that was previously amalgam, cracked and I had to get a crown and then eventually a root canal.

Karla

Lovespain5

#5 Post by Lovespain5 »

Thank you for your advice guys! I will stay with my amalgams until getting new cavities in the molars.

EmilyTravels

#6 Post by EmilyTravels »

From what I read, amalgam fillings expand ever so slightly over time, and this expansion can cause cracks in the teeth, resulting in sensitivity. I had several old, large amalgam fillings from when I was 12 years old do this when I was in my 20s and 30s. As a result, I eventually had to have every tooth with an amalgam filling crowned, and a couple required root canals as well.

I wouldn't replace them just as a matter of course, because even grinding them out, some mercury is released. Better leave them where they are unless you start having tooth sensitivity or really hate the way they look is my opinion.

Navygrrl

#7 Post by Navygrrl »

I'm late to the party, but I'm with everyone else and say leave them unless the filling is causing you problems. I have a rather large filling on my bottom left molar, and my last dentist told me that I would need to have it replaced, and that I'd also need a crown because of how large the filling is. She also said I had a cavity. My current dentist looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that. So, no need to replace the filling, and I also didn't have a cavity.

I'm kind of wondering now if my son actually needed 8 cavities filled with the other dentist, but then he ate a lot of candy and was a typical teenager, so probably that was legit.

anitahansen

#8 Post by anitahansen »

I'm a dentist, and I would actually recommend getting silver fillings if you need any work done. They last longer and are better for your long term dental health.

There are a lot of myths regarding fillings, and I'll comment on one of them that was mentioned in this thread. Silver fillings expand and crack teeth, that's pretty much a myth. Everything expands when subjected to something hot, a silver filling does that, but so does your teeth, at almost the same rate. White fillings actually have a thermal expansion ratio further from that of your tooth structure, so they will create more fractures in teeth over time than silver fillings will. A silver filling does expand a tiny bit over time as well, but only the area that is exposed to air. This is actually a great feature of silver fillings as they are to some extent self healing. If a microscopic gap forms between the filling and the tooth somewhere, the filling will expand to fill that gap. If the same thing happens with a white filling, you get a cavity.

I get silver fillings myself. If I need a very large restoration. It's by far the best material for fillings, but also very expensive, and silver fillings work just as well for everything but the largest cavities.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

anitahansen wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:53 pm I'm a dentist, and I would actually recommend getting silver fillings if you need any work done. They last longer and are better for your long term dental health.

There are a lot of myths regarding fillings, and I'll comment on one of them that was mentioned in this thread. Silver fillings expand and crack teeth, that's pretty much a myth. Everything expands when subjected to something hot, a silver filling does that, but so does your teeth, at almost the same rate. White fillings actually have a thermal expansion ratio further from that of your tooth structure, so they will create more fractures in teeth over time than silver fillings will. A silver filling does expand a tiny bit over time as well, but only the area that is exposed to air. This is actually a great feature of silver fillings as they are to some extent self healing. If a microscopic gap forms between the filling and the tooth somewhere, the filling will expand to fill that gap. If the same thing happens with a white filling, you get a cavity.

I get silver fillings myself. If I need a very large restoration. It's by far the best material for fillings, but also very expensive, and silver fillings work just as well for everything but the largest cavities.
That is quite helpful, thanks Dr. Hansen!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

bbsadmin

#10 Post by bbsadmin »

I changed the ones which were visible. I had fillings in all of my molars. Eventually I changed out the one that was not too visible. Now all of my filings are composite. Haven't had any trouble with them at all.

Some dentists feel that the amalgam fillings should be avoided. Others think they are fine. I don't think that there is real evidence of mercury leaking into one's body from the fillings. Amalgam is less expensive than composite. I suppose in the end, it just boils down to your personal preference and your dentist's opinions.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lovespain5

#11 Post by Lovespain5 »

Ok! Thank you for all your replies! I keep on with my metallic fillings. I am so tired of dentists :crazy: