Rubber bands at 25

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ayaka2

Rubber bands at 25

#1 Post by ayaka2 »

Hello guys and girls,

I've been in braces for the past 6 months.
My ortho just informed me that on my next visit he will put on rubber bands in order to adjust my bite.
I have a class 2 overbite right now. My lower jaw is not as "long" as it should be, so he plans on bringing it to the front, and moving my upper jaw slowly to the back, in order to adjust the bite. Exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N9Gba2t3i8

I am scared right now, because I am 25, and I know that my bones are already fully developed and that there is no way to bring the lower jaw to the front. Or so I've heard.

Can someone tell me if this is dangerous? If there any way this could work?

He said I don't need jaw surgery, because the gap between the upper and the lower jaw is not that big.

Any response is much appreciated! Thank you!

assertives

Re: Rubber bands at 25

#2 Post by assertives »

Elastics definitely do work in adults, in fact, more people had elastics at some stage in their treatment rather than not. The type of movement that one gets in surgery is not the same as the type of movement you'll get with elastics.

The movement that you get from elastics is largely subtle and it's beneficial in helping your top and bottom teeth fit better together. I have been in class 2 elastics for about 4 to 5 months now. I don't really have a deficient lower jaw so I haven't really noticed much difference in how my jaw looks but I have definitely seen improvements in my bite and my overbite has been corrected.

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

Do you mean overjet? The YouTube video is correcting an overjet protrusion.

I’m currently having the same treatment, and am considerably older than you. The only issue age plays is that we will need to wear a retainer after treatment, whereas a younger person would not as their bones are still malleable.

The elastics themselves will slowly pull back your front teeth. There may be some gain in the lower arch, but I guess it would be fairly minimal. If like me you have a slightly smaller lower jaw I think the only option to correct this, if it bothers you, would be jaw surgery. It’s something I was never aware of until my orthodontist mentioned it, and to be honest it doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

If you do have an overjet and not an overbite, then correcting this with elastics will give you a better profile. It may be that any issues you have about having a smaller jaw may no longer be a concern to you after your treatment progresses.

EllieMilo

#4 Post by EllieMilo »

I went through this treatment! It wasn’t too painful and it worked great!

My issue was I sucked my thumb as a child (had my two front baby teeth knocked out accidentally by a fall) so when my adult teeth started coming in they formed around my thumb sucking causing an overjet/buck tooth appearance.

I started my braces at 41 and there wasn’t any issue with that part of my treatment. My ortho used Impala rubber bands and the teeth moved back fairly quickly.