Elastic weight

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

almost40

Elastic weight

#1 Post by almost40 »

I was just started on camel elastics and looks like they are considered a “heavy” elastic. What does that mean? And in comparison with light and medium elastics?

AndAndAnd

Re: Elastic weight

#2 Post by AndAndAnd »

From the packs I’ve seen tension of 2.5 oz is light and 3.5 oz medium. 4.5 and above may be considered heavy.

Mpkh

#3 Post by Mpkh »

The difference is the amount of force exerted by the elastics on your teeth.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There-different elastic strengths are used for different actions. My ortho must buy generic because they're not animal coded LOL!! We have the medium (blue bag) and heavy (red bag) and latex versus non-latex. The heavy have been used on me in the class II configuration and the medium were used for the box configuration. You can check out this site that details elastic wear very well (passed on by another member).http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/elastic-wear/

Karla
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

almost40

#5 Post by almost40 »

Thanks so much everyone! Happy New Year!

Lovespain5

#6 Post by Lovespain5 »

Here is a good article recently posted in the forum : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastics_(orthodontics). Happy New Year too!
:?:-#):mrgreen:

almost40

#7 Post by almost40 »

Thanks for that link! Interestingly in that article it says “Elastic wear is recommend to be used in a rectangular wire to minimize side effects.”

Is there truth in this? Currently I am in round stainless steel wires 3 months into my class II treatment.

assertives

#8 Post by assertives »

almost40 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:21 pm Thanks for that link! Interestingly in that article it says “Elastic wear is recommend to be used in a rectangular wire to minimize side effects.”

Is there truth in this? Currently I am in round stainless steel wires 3 months into my class II treatment.
I don't think it's a hard and fast rule. Depending on what your ortho is working on or trying to achieve at your current stage of treatment, sometimes these side effects can actually be beneficial and even intentional by the ortho in certain cases and different people.

Verena

#9 Post by Verena »

Why heavy or light elastics are used?

kplatt2010

#10 Post by kplatt2010 »

They use the lighter elastics for box config because otherwise it would tip your teeth in with too much force. The strong elastic for class II because it pulling your upper in a backward motion and lower jaw in forward motion.
Karla

EllieMilo

#11 Post by EllieMilo »

My ortho has only ever given me the Impala rubber bands. I haven’t used any others.

Lovespain5

#12 Post by Lovespain5 »

EllieMilo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 am My ortho has only ever given me the Impala rubber bands. I haven’t used any others.
Argh Impalas are hard ones. I had the same. I also had the Rams and the Buffalos. But they are perfect to cure bimax protrusion, in my experience.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

strinder

#13 Post by strinder »

I've only ever had Moose.

I loved looking at this and comparing what everyone is experiencing! http://www.ortomax.ee/wp-content/upload ... h_2016.pdf