Social Anxiety...

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clarissanoel

Social Anxiety...

#1 Post by clarissanoel »

Hey y'all,

I'm 29 and due to get braces on in January, and it still feels quite surreal. I really need them for my jaw, but I have pretty bad social anxiety, and am paralyzed by anxiety about people's reactions to them. I'm not sure how to tell people beforehand, and I know I'm going to be embarrassed at first. I hate the idea of people noticing them, staring and not mentioning them, and I'll feel too awkward to mention it, too. Elephant in the room kinda thing.

Anyways, people with social anxiety please tell me it's not that bad!

kplatt2010

Re: Social Anxiety...

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Good Morning ClarissaNoel,
It's going to be challenging for you the first day but you can do it. I'll tell you from personal experience, you may start a new trend. I've had two new folks in my office start treatment since I've started. One of them told me it was because they thought if I could do it they could do it.
Karla

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

clarissanoel wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 pmI have pretty bad social anxiety, and am paralyzed by anxiety about people's reactions to them.
I suspect the self-consciousness will wane over a relatively short time.

I will say that after having uppers placed three days ago and now with full braces I'm not enthused by my appearance.

I'll endeavor to turn it into comedy when possible and have eighteen to twenty-four months of practice ahead doing so.

All the best to you!
-Andy

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

I have social anxiety, but strangely, braces didn't make it any worse. I mentioned them from time to time, but I didn't feel the need to "announce" them in advance to anyone. Hardly anyone asked or even appeared to notice. If they did, they were kind enough not to say anything. I had a positive attitude about having them, since I knew they were helping with my bite, so I smiled and felt happy. I think that made people I came into contact with smile as well.

Really, try not to overthink it. Braces in adults are no big deal any more! :D

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

EmilyTravels wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 pm I have social anxiety, but strangely, braces didn't make it any worse. I mentioned them from time to time, but I didn't feel the need to "announce" them in advance to anyone. Hardly anyone asked or even appeared to notice. If they did, they were kind enough not to say anything. I had a positive attitude about having them, since I knew they were helping with my bite, so I smiled and felt happy. I think that made people I came into contact with smile as well.

Really, try not to overthink it. Braces in adults are no big deal any more! :D
Really a nice post, Emily.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Speck

#6 Post by Speck »

I agree, nice post, Emily!

I helped a friend with household chores with today and it wasn't until we were having lunch that he noticed the braces. Friends are so supportive. As we parted this afternoon he said "see you later metal mouth". We both laughed. I'm really adjusting to them. :)
-Andy

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Aww, thanks my friends in orthodontia!

Really appreciate your kind words. :)

twedledee

#8 Post by twedledee »

First days in braces I was so self conscious about them, making myself uncomfortable for no actual reason. After the first month I have stopped caring...just like that. Some people
are very sweet and shares their experience in braces with me, other ones are brutal in their comments, but they are not affecting me so much anymore. Should I be ashamed for taking care of myself and my health spending my own hard-earned money? I don't think so. I think that my self confidence has improved, for example I've never ever wore lipstick because of my broken smile...I'm wearing a red one right now 8)
The bright side of getting braces as adults is that we can and we should live without everyone's approval!

EmilyTravels

#9 Post by EmilyTravels »

That's the attitude, twedledee!

I was not able to wear lipstick or even colored gloss while in braces, because my uppers were ceramic, and the color would come off onto them. I pretty much stuck with clear lipgloss for the entire time. It's nice to be able to wear a bit of color now, post-braces!

quickredfox

#10 Post by quickredfox »

Hey clarissanoel,

I empathize, I have social anxiety too and I was extremely nervous about getting braces. And I still am self-conscious 1 month in.

What Speck said helps: be the first to joke about them, that always defuses any awkwardness.

I didn't want to have the same conversation with friends & acquaintances post-bracket-placement, so I just posted a picture on social media with a funny caption.

You have to own it, not hide. And think about the result, that helps, too :)

Top braces on 10/12/18
Bottom braces 03/09/19

YankeeFan62

#11 Post by YankeeFan62 »

Good Evening

I am 66 and have had full top and bottom metal braces since July. I also teach in an elementary school. The kids have really been fantastic. I don't know what they say behind my back, but to my face they are both curious and very supportive. I have had some color suggestions from several of them.

It has really been a journey that I should have started 30 or 40 years ago. I am glad that I took the plunge. I have seen a lot of improvements since I started. At first I was somewhat self-conscious, but now my metal mouth is just a part of me.

Happy New Year to everyone.

lildropofsunshine

#12 Post by lildropofsunshine »

I'm 28 and definitely anxious about what people will say...especially since any time I mention wanting to fix my teeth it's always met with a "but you already HAVE perfect teeth!" type comment. I'm also a preschool teacher, so not only do I talk all day, I'm not looking forward to my kids asking "what's in your mouth?" all the time!

Botoxandbraces

#13 Post by Botoxandbraces »

The older I get, the more I realize that most people struggle with social anxiety...some are just better at hiding it than others!

I’m 37 and I’m 6 months in to my adventure in braces, and while there are definitely social setbacks to having them (dinners out with friends where I need to talk and eat at the same time are now impossible...I can do one or the other, but not both...it takes forever for me to eat!) I view my braces as being a big “UNDER CONSTRUCTION” sign to others. Are they awkward and cumbersome? Definitely—but a much improved smile is coming soon. The crazy part is that I’ve had several people confess to me that they wished they could get braces, too. Never thought I’d make people envious with my mouth full of metal...but I do!

Botoxandbraces

#14 Post by Botoxandbraces »

I’d also like to add that I’m using this time to focus on other self improvements, too. I’ve recently gotten into skincare since I’m
showing the first signs of getting older...and it’s been a great time to try out various laser treatments & injectables. It’s been fun and I’ve been seeing lots of improvement with my skin!

I figure I already look like a bit of a hot mess with the braces...so hopefully when I get debraced, I’ll just be plain ol’ hot. :lol: :-*