Introducing myself

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

benflynn1976

Introducing myself

#1 Post by benflynn1976 »

Hi there,

Just to introduce myself, I live in the UK and am 42 years of age and have finally decided to get some orthodontic treatment!

After thinking this would be a total walk in the park, 1 extraction and a fixed brace later I was starting to wonder why I had shelled out the money to feel quite sorry for myself! Initially was in a lot of pain, big list of food I can't eat and being quite self conscious. A week later though feeling much better - have kicked the cigarettes (Although do vape a little) and am finding I am losing a bit of weight due to not randomly snacking on rubbish - so a couple of unintended health benefits!

At the start of my journey but looking forward to reading the posts and participating in the community!

Ben.

Speck

Re: Introducing myself

#2 Post by Speck »

From one newb to another: Welcome to the forum!

Top braces on today and first adjustment on lowers. Driving home, I stopped and picked up a loaf of sourdough bread. What was I thinking? :lol:

Good luck adjusting to orthodontic treatment! :)
-Andy

Meowmeowbeans2

#3 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I just got braced Tuesday - can’t wait to be able to chew in a week, just in time for Christmas dinner!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

pcspinheiro

#4 Post by pcspinheiro »

My list of "things you shouldn't eat" was trashed very soon after I got braces. I like to eat, so I just chewed through the pain :lol: though I was careful not to rip out all my brackets. Toasts were chewed carefully and never biting down all the way, but I can't remember stopping eating things I liked because of braces. Admittedly, things didn't end well for me, but it was all due to the idiocy of my former ortho and nothing to do with my eating habits...

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Out and about yesterday, I grabbed a slice of pizza from the food court. Once I sat down and had the first bite I realized it would be a painful struggle to get through lunch. So there I sat puzzling through just how to take a bite of and chew pizza. Funny how quickly one can forget about having braces and then get reminded of them.
-Andy

AndAndAnd

#6 Post by AndAndAnd »

@Speck, the first burger is the worst. I had to resort to using a knife and fork the first time. What’s odd is that after a while nothing is that much hassle anymore.

assertives

#7 Post by assertives »

I remember my first struggle with food not long after getting braces was with eating a slice of tomato. I remember feeling so pathetic that I was defeated by a slice of tomato. :lol:

Speck

#8 Post by Speck »

assertives wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 pmI remember my first struggle with food not long after getting braces was with eating a slice of tomato. I remember feeling so pathetic that I was defeated by a slice of tomato. :lol:
:lol:

I've had an omelette for dinner each day since lowers were adjusted and uppers placed; it's been nice.

So far, lunches have been the most difficult. Bagged lunch yesterday and last of the bread so one slice was the heel. Again, how quickly one can forget. :lol:
-Andy

Heartofdarkness

#9 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Welcome, great decision, and before you know it you'll be eating like normal again. :D

Lovespain5

#10 Post by Lovespain5 »

Dropping out the cigarette, nice resolution for Christmas. Welcome on the forum!
:?:-#):mrgreen: