Adjustment followed by Cleaning

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment followed by Cleaning

#1 Post by SDFD TSchott »

So I have a quick question for all ya'll. I have an adjustment going on December 22nd and then a dental cleaning going on January 5th. My dentist is also an orthodontist but I ended up going to a different ortho for financial reasons along with I liked the other place better than my own dentist. Anyways I have an adjustment at end of this month then cleaning with my dentist in January. He said he will be taking the wire off doing the cleaning and putting the wire back on. Should I be concerned with this or just let him do what he needs to do?

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

cbraces678

Re: Adjustment followed by Cleaning

#2 Post by cbraces678 »

Hi! I have a similar situation. My dentist also provides ortho, but I went with a different orthodontist. They have never asked to take my wire off for cleaning. They just clean around it. I think I wouldn’t be comfortable with him taking the wire off. I’d say ask your actual ortho if that is common. The ortho may not like someone else in there as well. Your dentist should be able to clean around the wire. Mine uses an air polishing system rather than regular polishing. It takes the same amount of time as a regular cleaning. Hopefully that helps!

pamelah0109

#3 Post by pamelah0109 »

I've had it done both ways. My ortho is in an ajoining office 3 days a week and when I had a cleaning done on a day the ortho staff wasn't there, they didn't take off the wire. The next cleaning they did remove the wire. I asked the hygenist about it and they said they can do it either way and prefer to have it taken off if possible.

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

My ortho and general dentist are on same page meaning they communicate well with each other. So we shall see how it goes I guess

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

AndAndAnd

#5 Post by AndAndAnd »

Teeth can be cleaned with or without the wire on. It doesn’t really get in the way. You’re the paying customer. I would just tell them to leave it on and clean around it.

assertives

#6 Post by assertives »

I've had all my cleanings done with my wires in. If you are not comfortable with having them taken out by your dentist, just tell them you prefer not to have your wires out.