New Member bound for Braces at 66

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Delilahbear

New Member bound for Braces at 66

#1 Post by Delilahbear »

Hi, I just got referred to an Orthodontist by my dentist. I have 2 teeth (21,22) which are laying on their side so that the chewing surface is against my tounge. They are really annoying as I chew weird on that side and also have an crossbite. Unfortunately my appointment is not until the end of October so I have lots of time to investigate and research all things braces and get anxious. My Brother in Law, Nephew and his wife are all dentists so we have had a family discussion on pros and cons of the different types as they have learned from their practices. Leaning towards the metal brackets but will see what Orthodontist has to say.

liner

Re: New Member bound for Braces at 66

#2 Post by liner »

I would go with invisalign.
very easy and you can pop them out anytime.
I will be done next week and it was the best decision I have ever made.
I was 51 when I started.
Not absolutely invisible, but pretty close.
I was self conscious and didn't want the braces, but whatever you decide, I am sure it will be fine as long as the end result is straight teeth.
BTW, i had a crossbite and it completely fixed it but you need to wear your elastics as directed.

Delilahbear

#3 Post by Delilahbear »

Thank you for your support. I think I can handle the elastics but if they tell me I need to wear any headgear I will probably tell them where they can stick it.

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

Welcome! And all the best in your journey. I don't think you will get a headgear though, they don't work on adults because we are no longer growing. So I wouldn't worry about that. But elastics are almost a guarantee.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

This. ^

I got braces at 56, am 57 now. Elastics for most of the time. You do get used to them. But I am ready to get them off! One thing I've noticed is that my teeth don't seem to move as faster as younger folks's (20s and 30s), from photos I've seen. I think they have been in one place for sooooo long by this age, they are pretty set in their ways, kinda like me! :D So patience is required.

Welcome to the braces over 50 club!

Delilahbear

#6 Post by Delilahbear »

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know headgear is for younger people and that the teeth move in their own time but slowly at this age. The tilted teeth came on slowly. I remember them starting to be out of place probably 20 years ago and my Brother-In-Law who we used as our long distance dentist at the time every time we visited him, told me it was mesial shift which happened as we got older. I have noticed over the last few years that they have finally fallen over and now I can't use them to chew and they are harder to clean. If I can get them back to where they should be I will be happy. I have to be patient which is not easy for me to see the Orthodontist and then to go through the journey.

I will have to consider cost when it comes to invisalign as I am headed towards retirement from a very stressful 2 jobs and have to consider where the money is coming from. My husband has been retired for a number of years and we have his limited social security and my income which is stretched kind of thin at the end of the month.

Impatiently waiting (I guess wishing my life away - LOL) for my Ortho appointment on October 23.

assertives

#7 Post by assertives »

I would say just go for the metal. They are no frills and they are more predictable and stronger. I have metal top and bottom and have no regrets.

David

#8 Post by David »

I'm 65 with all metal. I don't have a problem with them at all. :tingrin:

Delilahbear

#9 Post by Delilahbear »

I finally got my brackets on Dec. 11. Got both upper and lower brackets on and archwire on top only. Also have molar buildups to open up my bite due to overjet and crossbite. Today, Dec 12, I had WilckoDontics surgery on my 2 tipped over teeth. This is where they make cuts and holes in the bone around the teeth to encourage them to move more quickly. Definitely not fun. Tomorrow I will get my lower archwires on. About 2 weeks from now I will get stitches out from the surgery. I expect to be in the braces for about 18 months according to the Orthodontist.

I got the rhodium plated metal braces. They seem a bit smaller than the traditional metal and definitely smaller than the ceramic. So far no issues with them. It will be a journey.

I tried flossing last night and got the floss all tangled in the hooks on the brackets, gave up and used the waterpik along with Sonicare toothbrush. Now I can't brush or floss for a few weeks around the surgery site. I have to "paint" the area with Listerine on a cotton swab.

Delilahbear

#10 Post by Delilahbear »

Day after my surgery and I have had zero pain which is amazing to me. A bit of swelling in my face but no bruising considering how much work he had to do.

Got my bottom wire on today and that hasn't caused any pain either.

I was told not to eat or drink anything hot for 24 hours after surgery and not to drink through a straw. Not sure what the straw would do to disrupt anything. Got a Starbucks on ice and did use the straw but tried to only use the opposite side for drinking it. Didn't seem to affect anything.

If it weren't for the molar buildups everything would be great but they do make eating anything a challenge. The Orthodontist was happy I was able to eat some toast and the mashed potatoes. Tonight will be macaroni and cheese.

Hope all had a good day with their braces.

kplatt2010

#11 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Deliliahbear,
Welcome to our fun little unique club!!

In regards to the no straws; I know when I've had dental work it's sometimes to avoid displacing a clot that has formed over the surgical wound bed. This is especially important after wisdom teeth extractions to avoid dry sockets. This occurs when the clot is displaced and the nerve is exposed. Been there done that and believe me you don't want to experience that sensation.

In regards to avoid extreme temps; not sure... I know whenever you have an injury you ice for the first 24 then heat thereafter. Someone else will surely chime in and give us the scientific answer.

Karla

Aler58

#12 Post by Aler58 »

Late to the party but welcome to the over 50's and over club! I got my braces at 59 and turned 60 in November. I opted for ceramic top and metal bottom and am progressing nicely. My orthodontist predicted 18 months but I am hoping to cut some of that off when I get rubber bands. I have my 10 month appointment tomorrow and want to pin him down a bit about the timeline. My bite has changed quite a bit and my bottom teeth which were out of line and hitting the top ones which caused them to chip have moved back nicely.