Electric vs Manual brishes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceace

Electric vs Manual brishes

#1 Post by braceace »

I've been considering getting an electric toothbrush, but I'm honestly a little worried about it. My regular toothbrushes get stuck in my brackets ALL THE TIME, and I'm worried that with an electric one it will get stuck, but the brush won't stop, resulting in disaster.

what does everyone use, and what are your thoughtsand experiences?
My Braces Story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54043

wendydong

Re: Electric vs Manual brishes

#2 Post by wendydong »

I never had that problem... but i actually had an ortho (my alternative doc #2) tell me that electric brushes maybe bad for gums. it makes your gumline kind of bunched up, not lay flat on the tooth...

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I personally use a manual toothbrush and have been using one all my life. I've never tried an electric one so I can't comment on that. The manual tooth brush serves me well, but the bristles do get frayed more quickly now that I have braces. But I haven't had any of the bristles get caught on my brackets before though.

cbraces678

#4 Post by cbraces678 »

I've used an Oral-B electric since I can remember, so when I got my braces I just continued using it. My ortho actually gave one to me at the start of treatment. I had a better version, so I gave the free one to my husband :-* I use the electric to brush morning and night, but I use a manual in between meals. I feel the electric does a better job for sure, but I don't find it necessary to use it 5 times a day lol. I have never had any issues with bristles getting stuck. I have an orthodontic head for it which is really really convenient, and I also use the sensitive soft head. Hopefully that helps!

Meowmeowbeans2

#5 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

My dentist, periodontist and ortho all pushed me to switch to electric this year. I got the most basic Oral B 1000 with the timer.

I definitely feel like my teeth are cleaner after electric! The technique is different bc you hold it on each tooth 1-2 seconds and let the brush do the scrubbing - watch some YouTube videos and ask your dentist for a demo. I learned today that I’m not brushing the bottom as well as top yet, so definitely takes time to adjust.

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

strinder

#6 Post by strinder »

I've always used an electric toothbrush on my braces (other than the times that I've forgotten it or it runs out of charge. I recently went to the hygienist who recommended using electric toothbrushes.

Don't worry about it getting caught in the brackets. It brushes over them and it doesn't get caught in them (and I properly stick the bristles in the gaps in my teeth). And everytime I go to the dentist and orthodontist they commend me on my oral hygiene so it clearly works well!

Go for it :)

braceace

#7 Post by braceace »

Thanks for all the input everyone! I have my first adjustment today, so I'll ask my orthodontist or tech what they recommend as well :D

braceace

#8 Post by braceace »

I forgot to ask xD

I did ask how my hygiene was doing, and they said everything looked good, so I think I'll stick to a manual brush for now :)

Fiatbraces

#9 Post by Fiatbraces »

I use an electric toothbrush and it actually causes less harm than my manual one did, the electric toothbrush does the work for you and keeps your mouth cleaner in my opinion.

braceace

#10 Post by braceace »

Fiatbraces wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:16 am I use an electric toothbrush and it actually causes less harm than my manual one did, the electric toothbrush does the work for you and keeps your mouth cleaner in my opinion.
What do you mean by harm?

Fiatbraces

#11 Post by Fiatbraces »

braceace wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:16 pm [quote=Fiatbraces post_id=506129 time=<a href="tel:1544883380">1544883380</a> user_id=31560]
I use an electric toothbrush and it actually causes less harm than my manual one did, the electric toothbrush does the work for you and keeps your mouth cleaner in my opinion.
[/quote]

My gums were really saw when I used a manual tooth brush and this was from aggressive brushing, when using the eledtric toothbrush I just place the brush on different areas of the teeth and it does the work for me and I also use a special round orthodontic brush head which is small in the middle and long around the edges, it is perfect for keeping braces clean,

assertives

#12 Post by assertives »

Fiatbraces wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:17 pm
braceace wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:16 pm [quote=Fiatbraces post_id=506129 time=<a href="tel:1544883380">1544883380</a> user_id=31560]
My gums were really saw when I used a manual tooth brush and this was from aggressive brushing, when using the eledtric toothbrush I just place the brush on different areas of the teeth and it does the work for me and I also use a special round orthodontic brush head which is small in the middle and long around the edges, it is perfect for keeping braces clean,
[/quote]

Yes, aggressive brushing does harm the gums and could cause gum recession in the long run. But having said that, it is also necessary to brush the gums as well along with brushing your teeth. Just don't be so aggressive.

braceace

#13 Post by braceace »

Yikes! I wonder if I have gum recession. I can brush pretty aggressively sometimes.

Richard1

#14 Post by Richard1 »

Thanks for info!

LittleTooth

#15 Post by LittleTooth »

Definitely get an electric brush. After switching to one in 2017, I haven't looked back. It's superior to manual and your teeth feel so much cleaner! I'm using a sonicare and I love it. It doesn't get caught in brackets. I find that the bristles tend to wear out quicker though.