Bracket came off - day 4

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gia

Bracket came off - day 4

#1 Post by Gia »

Just had the bracket on my crown lower first molar come off. The wire is still anchored as my second molar is bracketed. He told me to avoid chewing on the side with crowns, as there are 4 on that side. But I haven't been able to chew at all! I feel so embarrassed to have to call already. Are they likely to make me go in tomorrow? I guess because the wire is looser most of the pain on the bottom is gone.

assertives

Re: Bracket came off - day 4

#2 Post by assertives »

Having brackets break off from crowns is pretty common. The glue doesn't bond very well to crowns and they take better to natural tooth enamel. Just make an appointment to go back and get it fixed. Don't be embarrassed, this happens all the time, I'm sure ortho offices are used to it.

Gia

#3 Post by Gia »

Can I just cry Uncle!?! :-+ tonight the bracket on the crowned molar next to the other tooth came off and the wire is hanging loose. And when I went to floss the opposing top molar, the pain was intense. At least I already have and appointment tomorrow! I feel like a failure as a patient 😳

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

Can I just cry Uncle??!! :-+ Tonight the bracket on the crowned molar next to the tooth came off, and the wire is hanging loose! And when I went to floss the opposing molar on the top the pain was intense. At least I already have an appointment tomorrow! Gosh I feel like such a failure as a patient. 😳

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

It's all part of the charm of orthodontics :-+ . Your ortho may need to apply a banded bracket to the crowns. It's a bit of a chore, which is probably why some orthos balk. I had a bracket come loose from a crown a few days after bracing, as I was eating yogurt, for goodness sake! I said a few choice words and wondered why I was chosen for this additional punishment and torture. Yes, I have issues :huh: .
You'll get through it. It's not a patient failure. It's an ortho failure. Probably don't want to put it that way when you are in the office, though. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Gia

#6 Post by Gia »

:lol: he replaced it today with a different kind of primer and adhesive. It was a bit more complicated and longer but he's hoping it works. He's trying to avoid the band because he feels it's harder to keep clean. But said if they come off again he'll have to do it. Meanwhile he instructed me to be gentle with the.! I haven't had anything more solid than cottage cheese! I'm afraid to try, and afraid to floss there now. I avoided suggesting operator error :lol:
The good thing is that with so many visits in a short time, my 4th since the 4th, my anxiety is improved :D

kplatt2010

#7 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Gia,
Sorry to hear your having issues with brackets popping off. Been there done that and I believe it was during the initial first few months of treatment. In my case; they ended up putting a band on the back molar which helped tremendously. Keeping it clean is no biggie. It's just more time intensive for the ortho to apply because you would (a) need to get spacers placed for ~ 1 week, and then (b) have a longer appointment for a band placement. Hopefully that won't happen in your case; but not a big deal if it does occur.

Brackets and wires sometimes are popping out because of the pressure/ force that's being applied to the teeth. Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back.
Karla

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Can't be as bad as me.... I had my second adjustment 'Yesterday' and lastnight when I got home from work at 2300 I was eating some biscuits and gravy. After I finished eating I went to clean up the mess and as I opened my mouth the back molar bracket popped off. I called today 10/10/2018 at 0900 and they said that it's the back bracket not to worry about it and they would replace at my 'next appointment which isn't until November 24th. Guess anything can happen now these days.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

kplatt2010

#9 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There-I think six weeks is too long to wait to get a bracket fixed. It is a longer appointment but typically they work you in during the week. Perhaps call back and tell them you want an appointment in the next week. You may not back track but your mouth progress will be coasting for the next six weeks.

I'm not 100% but I thought my contract; that I signed originally, mentions about brackets breaking and process for getting repaired.
Karla

EmilyTravels

#10 Post by EmilyTravels »

Gia, I have crowns on all my first molars, and these also are my last bracket on each side and arch. All four of these brackets have fallen off once, and one of them fell off four times! Each time he used the etching and special glue for crowns. Finally, the fourth time the one on the bottom left (where I chew most) fell off, he just left it, since I was getting near the end. I think he just didn't want to mess with molar bands, and I really didn't want 'em either, since you have to wear spacers (painful) ahead of time, and I was worried that they would be hard to remove and might take my crowns with them! :x

Sometimes it just happens. Two of mine popped off when i wasn't even eating. Only once was I chewing something that had a hard bit (chocolate chip) in it that I didn't anticipate (brownies) when one fell off.

On the positive side, three of the four have stayed in place after the second gluing. Hopefully you will be as lucky!

Gia

#11 Post by Gia »

Great to hear that most stayed put the second time Emily! I'm still not chewing stuff, but am avoiding chewing on that side. Sounds like you don't have to be eating or brushing for it to come off, which makes me feel better.
How's your freaking and retainer going?

EmilyTravels

#12 Post by EmilyTravels »

Gia wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm How's your freaking and retainer going?
Surprisingly, I am still in braces! Was supposed to get them off in August, then September. But I'm actually glad he didn't take them off, as I can see minor but real improvements in the last few weeks, and I am glad I've been able to wear the triangle elastics for longer, as I think this will really help with the stability of my bite.

I have to get them off before the end of the month as we leave for Mexico on November 1 and will be there for at least six months. Fortunately, I can get my Essix retainers on the same day I get my braces off, but I sure hope they fit, as I likely won't be able to get in for any follow-up appointments. Kinda crazy, but months ago I certainly thought I'd be out of my braces by now. I'll never forget when I asked my ortho in June if I were still on track for August removal, and he said "yes". Hmmmmm.... :?

At my last adjustment, they took a mold of my bottom arch for my fixed bottom retainer. Don't know if I'll get that next time I go in (Aug 18) or on my debrace date.

Speck

#13 Post by Speck »

It's interesting that some orthos use bands on crowned molars and others don't. I consulted with my ortho and ultimately decided to switch from Invisalign to ordinary braces. Without prior discussion on brackets versus bands on crowned molars, separators (spacers) were placed so that the last two molars on both sides upper and lower (four with crowns, three without) will be banded. It seems that for whatever reason some orthos simply have a myopic approach to certain aspects of treatment?
-Andy

wendydong

#14 Post by wendydong »

@speck, what made you change from invisalign to braces? is this planned?

Speck

#15 Post by Speck »

wendydong wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 am what made you change from invisalign to braces? is this planned?
Hi, Wendy: Managing aligners on a daily basis, hands quite intrusively in and out of mouth eight to ten times/day and concern over corresponding exposure to cold and flu bugs. I've been suffering from a nasty upper respiratory infection since Nov. 4th; now on antibiotics. I was rendered incapacitated with pneumonia a couple years ago and that was an eye-opener. Being self-employed, I just can't afford to be out of commission.

As an added side benefit, I no longer deal with aligners while on multi-day recreational activities. Yay!
-Andy