Can elastics break brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fiatbraces

Can elastics break brackets

#1 Post by Fiatbraces »

I recently was instructed to wear a doubled up elastic on my brace and it’s really tight and I can hardly open my mouth and today I yawned and as my mouth opened I got a sharp pain from the tooth my elastic is connected to, I am worried if the elastic could pull a bracket off a tooth or loosen brackets if I open my mouth too much with the elastic on? Thanks

SDFD TSchott

Re: Can elastics break brackets

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

it can happen but how often have I heard/seen it happen. Pretty narrow I wouldn't worry to much.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I suppose it can. If that happens, just go back to your ortho and they will re-glue the bracket on, it's a pretty quick fix, not a big deal. I have had brackets popped off twice during the course of my treatment and each time my ortho just glued it back on. It didn't take more than 5 mins.

Fiatbraces

#4 Post by Fiatbraces »

assertives wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm I suppose it can. If that happens, just go back to your ortho and they will re-glue the bracket on, it's a pretty quick fix, not a big deal. I have had brackets popped off twice during the course of my treatment and each time my ortho just glued it back on. It didn't take more than 5 mins.
SDFD TSchott wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:29 pm it can happen but how often have I heard/seen it happen. Pretty narrow I wouldn't worry to much.
Thanks for both of your replies, I live 2 hours away from my orthodontist so really try to look after my brace so I don’t have to drive back to get it fixed, I have took the elastic off this morning and checked the bracket and it seems to be still stuck to the tooth no movement, just worried the elastic could have caused the bracket to become less secure on the tooth

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

Well, if it will happen, it will happen. If it happens, then it just means that perhaps the force is too much at this stage and you'll need to feedback to your ortho so he or she can adjust your treatment accordingly. I've had a bracket popped off less than 30 mins after an adjustment and I went back to my ortho about it. Turns out, he kind of saw it coming and changed to a smaller wire because my teeth was not ready yet. He had initially decided to try increasing to a much thicker wire to see if my teeth would be ready.

But the worry of brackets popping off should not stop you from wearing your elastics as directed by your ortho.