back up Essix?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hereorthere

back up Essix?

#1 Post by hereorthere »

I'm getting my braces removed next week, and decided to go for clear retainers. my ortho office suggested me to get 2 sets of Essix at once since they break more easily. They suggested at once because they can give a discount if we get multiple sets at once. How many years do Essix retainers usually last? Do you guys think I should go for back ups?

SDFD TSchott

Re: back up Essix?

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I've had essix in the past when I was a teenager and grinded through 3 sets. I then asked about Hawleys which worked great for me however I broke mine and the ortho office I went to was no longer in service. Fast forward 10 years down the road I'm back in braces round 2.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

hereorthere

#3 Post by hereorthere »

[quote="SDFD TSchott" post_id=505400 time=1541307199 user_id=4852]
I've had essix in the past when I was a teenager and grinded through 3 sets. I then asked about Hawleys which worked great for me however I broke mine and the ortho office I went to was no longer in service. Fast forward 10 years down the road I'm back in braces round 2.
[/quote]

wow, was that from grinding during the night or just normal daily wear? I was originally thinking about getting hawleys for my bottom teeth, but i also dont really want any metal in my mouth anymore..

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

I think getting a backup essix (or 2) is great idea. I’m in treatment again due in part to a failed essix retainer. How long they last seems to vary greatly between individuals, but I’ll be replacing mine every 2 to 3 years just to be safe.

All the Best,

Jethro

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

And there's always The Stay Tray if you run into an emergency situation:

https://www.dentakit.com/staytray.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!