Tooth super sensitive to cold suddenly

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cbraces678

Tooth super sensitive to cold suddenly

#1 Post by cbraces678 »

Hi!

About 2 days ago I started to have some intense sensitivity to cold suddenly. It’s almost like a stinging feeling if I drink something cold. It seems to be just 1 tooth, but the pain kind of radiates so it’s hard to know exactly which one. It is around an area where I have a stubbornly rotated tooth. I have no pain when chewing or brushing or with warm/hot things either. Literally just cold. The pain stops within 10 seconds, until it is exposed to something cold again. Is this a normal feeling??

I have had braces for 6 months and haven’t had any feeling anything like this. I checked for gum recession, but the gums look good to me. I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months and my last appointment was 6 weeks ago so it seems incredibly unlikely it’s a cavity or something like that causing this pain. I’m hoping that maybe it’s this stubborn rotated premolar giving in (it hasn’t moved since I’ve been braced), but the sensitivity is SO strange. I plan on calling my ortho or dentist in a couple days if it persists. Just thought I would see if anyone else has experienced anything similar!

kplatt2010

Re: Tooth super sensitive to cold suddenly

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey there, you might want to get a follow-up with your ortho at the very least. It might not be anything more than that "stubborn tooth" finally shifting but you probably need someone to have eyes on it to ensure it's not anything more serious. Seeing as it's Friday night, sounds as though it will be a couple of days.
Karla

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

IMHO, at the very least the condition merits a phone conversation with your dentist, the ortho, or both.
-Andy

wendydong

#4 Post by wendydong »

from my experience, the ortho only has the panoramic xray, which can't tell if there's any nerve damage or if you need a root canal or something

only the dentist have those xrays

cbraces678

#5 Post by cbraces678 »

Thanks everyone! I’ve noticed a slight improvement. I will be calling first thing Monday if it doesn’t continue to improve. I appreciate the replies!

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Try brushing with Sensodyne toothpaste for a few weeks and see if it helps!

If this continues after another month or two, see your dentist for an x-ray of that specific tooth. You could have developed a hairline fracture.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

pcspinheiro

#7 Post by pcspinheiro »

Had something like this for several months due to a badly placed bracket, that caused the tooth to also confict with the upper ones. This tooth died... Get it checked and don't settle for a quick "seems fine"...

cbraces678

#8 Post by cbraces678 »

I am updating incase anyone finds this thread useful in the future.

I went to the dentist because it was still bothering me. She said there is a bit of recession around a tooth in the area that is bugging me, so the root is exposed slightly and that’s causing the sensitivity to cold. I am prone to gum recession (genetic), so I’ve had that before and told her it never felt like this before. She said she didn’t think xrays were necessary at this point because the tooth looks perfect. She gave me fluoride to put on twice a day and said to call in a week if it doesn’t improve and we will do xrays then. I also have my regular adjustment this Friday, so I will bring it up to my ortho too. I was hoping to get xrays just to ease my mind about the roots but she really didn’t seem to think it’s necessary. Those upper teeth don’t touch my lowers because of the molar build ups, so I guess that rules out that kind of trauma. I will update if I end up going back next week for xrays.

Speck

#9 Post by Speck »

cbraces678 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:45 pmI checked for gum recession, but the gums look good to me.
cbraces678 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am...there is a bit of recession around a tooth in the area that is bugging me, so the root is exposed slightly and that’s causing the sensitivity to cold.
Gum recession was my first suspicion and I'd wager the exposed root is the cause of temperature-related discomfort. I reckon an image to confirm your dentist's opinion that the tooth is sound would help put your mind at ease, so perhaps you should get that x-ray. Peace of mind is a good thing!
-Andy

assertives

#10 Post by assertives »

cbraces678 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 am I am updating incase anyone finds this thread useful in the future.

I went to the dentist because it was still bothering me. She said there is a bit of recession around a tooth in the area that is bugging me, so the root is exposed slightly and that’s causing the sensitivity to cold. I am prone to gum recession (genetic), so I’ve had that before and told her it never felt like this before. She said she didn’t think xrays were necessary at this point because the tooth looks perfect. She gave me fluoride to put on twice a day and said to call in a week if it doesn’t improve and we will do xrays then. I also have my regular adjustment this Friday, so I will bring it up to my ortho too. I was hoping to get xrays just to ease my mind about the roots but she really didn’t seem to think it’s necessary. Those upper teeth don’t touch my lowers because of the molar build ups, so I guess that rules out that kind of trauma. I will update if I end up going back next week for xrays.
I had a tooth like that too. It was a 2nd molar. But my tooth also had a deep filling which was fine for several months before being super temperature sensitive and painful to chew on. I went to see 2 different dentists plus my ortho about it. My dentist said I had a few issues culminating for that tooth, deep filling, traumatic bite plus bone loss due to having a very impacted wisdom tooth surgically extracted less than 6 months ago. I was told to apply sensitive toothpaste on that tooth topically for 10 mins daily and then rinse it out. I did that religiously for 30 mins daily for almost 3 months before the tooth finally settled to a mild annoyance every now and then. So perhaps you could also try that and see if it works for you. But it does takes awhile though. As long as it doesn't get worse, don't jump into any additional treatment decision.

Speck

#11 Post by Speck »

My turn: One of the lower right molars became sensitive to cold today. I hope this isn't an indication that the tooth is going south and a root canal will become necessary. Fingers crossed. A new wire was placed on the bottom last Wednesday, so hopefully that's the reason.
-Andy

assertives

#12 Post by assertives »

It's normal to get random teeth here and there becoming sensitive to cold. I've had that too at various points during my treatment. It should go away over time.

Speck

#13 Post by Speck »

I appreciate the comment and hope that's the case. :)
-Andy

cbraces678

#14 Post by cbraces678 »

Speck wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:33 pm My turn: One of the lower right molars became sensitive to cold today. I hope this isn't an indication that the tooth is going south and a root canal will become necessary. Fingers crossed. A new wire was placed on the bottom last Wednesday, so hopefully that's the reason.
Sorry to hear that. I hope it goes back to normal soon, and that it has improved in the last few days. Oh the fun of adult braces. I don’t think I’ve ever googled so many things in my entire life :lol:

Speck

#15 Post by Speck »

cbraces678 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:36 pmI don’t think I’ve ever googled so many things in my entire life :lol:
You and I, both! :lol:

And thanks, it's somewhat better today. :)
-Andy