Braces after Jaw Fracture at Age 56!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Re: Braces after Jaw Fracture at Age 56!

#46 Post by EmilyTravels »

Got some photos today, exactly one year since getting braces. I think my ortho really underestimated my case, and that I really should be in braces for 18 months or more, but it is what it is, plans have been made, and that's just not going to happen. They are definitely better than when I started, but I still have a bit of an open bite, my midline has shifted from being off one way to being off (slightly) the other way, and I still have a couple incisors on top and bottom that aren't perfectly aligned. My bite is much better, though, and that was my main concern going in. I just wish my incisors had stepped into line more quickly!

This photo shows my current bite:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybqqku5s0w7ta ... s.JPG?dl=0

And this shows my upper arch -- note rotated central incisor STILL:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hsaikop0jl0aj ... r.JPG?dl=0

It's better than when I started:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b808x36hf0k09 ... s.JPG?dl=0

But really hasn't changed much, if at all, since six months ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1omrvi3ejbog6 ... s.JPG?dl=0

Ortho has tried various things to get this pesky incisor to rotate, including heavier wires, ligatures around the archwire (even though I am in self-ligating brackets), and wire bends, but it doesn't want to rotate completely. He is going to put more wire bends in on Sept. 10, but since I'm due to get my braces off by Oct. 1, I am not expecting miracles that six months couldn't achieve. A little sad because I'd hoped for a more perfect upper arch (not as concerned about the lower since my one lateral incisor that is still a bit rotated doesn't really show). :(

Speck

#47 Post by Speck »

So getting braces off will be a mixed bag but it'll no doubt feel good being free of brackets, etc. It's great that you're pleased with your bite and, FWIW, I think your teeth look good!
-Andy

jem

#48 Post by jem »

Excellent improvement, Emily, but wouldn't it be worth keeping your braces on for a few more months to finish the job properly?

My treatment went to double my original 9 month estimate, but I have no regrets.

Good luck!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

EmilyTravels

#49 Post by EmilyTravels »

jem wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 pm Excellent improvement, Emily, but wouldn't it be worth keeping your braces on for a few more months to finish the job properly?
Yes, if only we hadn't already made all our plans to move out of the area (and out of the US, actually) based on the ortho's original revised estimate of one year (originally 8-10 months, so at the time 12 months seemed like a worst case scenario).

If we were going to be here long-term, I'd let him keep me in braces as long as we both deemed fit. After all, I've already made my last payment, so from last month on out, it's all on his dime. Unfortunately, it would cost us an awful lot to change all our plans. And really, I got braces to fix my bite, not to achieve perfect alignment. The alignment I had up to my bicycle accident had been serving me well for years, and I had a pretty smile (tho' imperfect), got compliments frequently. It should be even better now, post-braces.

I think braces encourage us to require perfection. I am just gonna have to be happy with slightly less than perfect results and realize that I have still come a long way. Just wish my ortho had been a bit more realistic upfront. Oh well...life goes on. It could be a lot worse!

EmilyTravels

#50 Post by EmilyTravels »

Speck wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 am So getting braces off will be a mixed bag but it'll no doubt feel good being free of brackets, etc. It's great that you're pleased with your bite and, FWIW, I think your teeth look good!
Thank you, Andy! For my age, I still think I have pretty nice teeth and a nice smile, even though it's not "perfect". Nothing else about me is perfect, but my teeth are still going to be one of my best attributes. :D

jem

#51 Post by jem »

Agreed you have a great smile. Are you still riding your bicycle?

I hope your move from the US goes well.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

EmilyTravels

#52 Post by EmilyTravels »

jem wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:37 am Agreed you have a great smile. Are you still riding your bicycle?

I hope your move from the US goes well.

Jem
Yes, got back to riding a year ago and no more mishaps. :D It was really a freak thing. I can't believe how much one bad moment can change one's life. But it could always have been worse -- like if I'd knocked out teeth. I did chip just a tiny piece off the central incisor that is being such a stubborn rascal about rotating, but mostly just wrecked my bite. Thanks for your well wishes!

EmilyTravels

#53 Post by EmilyTravels »

Alrighty then! Just had an adjustment today...

* Ortho didn't glue back the bracket on my crowned molar that keeps coming off. I think he decided (and I concur) that my bite is as good as it's gonna get on that side. That was never my problem side. He discontinued the Class 2 elastic (which I'd only been able to wear on the other side anyway, for the past two weeks since losing the bracket).

* Still have the medium triangle elastics for open bite - both sides. I'm used to them, so that's fine.

* For only the second time since I started in braces, he actually re-positioned a bracket! Soooo happy, since this is the one on the upper left central incisor that has refused to rotate completely. He's tried all kinds of things -- wire bends, ties, etc, and that puppy just won't move, so today he finally re-positioned the bracket. I am so glad, since I hope this will finally nudge that stubborn tooth into line. AND, it gave me a preview of what debrace day will be like. Cutting the bracket off was no biggie, but the glue removal tool wasn't much fun. There were a few moments of owie sensitivity, not super intense but just enough to be uncomfortable and make me wish for novacaine. Some of my teeth are more sensitive than this one (esp. the bottom incisors), so I am dreading that part of debracing.

* They took off the upper archwire I've been wearing for the past two weeks and put back on the one with bends in it that had actually been saved from before (who knew they did this? Not I!) This one is a little heavier, and with the bends, I'm gonna be sore.

* No changes on the bottom. Maybe that is for my next appointment.

I go back in one week for the next check and any adjustment needed. He still didn't give me a debrace date, but he knows (because he asks my plans every time) that I'm heading out on a trip on October 3, so it's gotta be before then. Expect he's going to wait just as long as humanly possible!

EmilyTravels

#54 Post by EmilyTravels »

Had another adjustment today, just one week after the last one. In the past week, my rotated left central incisor on top has finally started to fall into line but still has a little way to go. I got a wire change on the top to a lighter wire without bends. Staying with the triangle elastics for my bite.

Next appointment is in one week, and he told the tech he plans to re-position brackets on both top central incisors to align them. Even though he just re-positioned one of those one week ago. Sheesh! Not a big fan as the filing off of the glue is a bit uncomfortable to me, but I do want those teeth aligned, so what can I say? I am glad he noticed and is going to fix that.

I guess then I'll learn when he plans to take these guys off! With my travel schedule, and their office schedule (only in my town on Mondays), it has pretty much got to be either Oct. 1 or 22nd. I am pretty sure he'll go for the latter, leaving me to scramble to get retainers before we leave the area on Oct. 30, but I will probably get a better result, even though it's quite a bit longer than his original estimate of 8-10 months! Looks like it's gonna be almost 14, when all is said and done. :crazy:

EmilyTravels

#55 Post by EmilyTravels »

EmilyTravels

#56 Post by EmilyTravels »

Had my latest adjustment today, and barely even saw the ortho. Was a bit disappointed since I am getting so close to the end, and he had been taking a bit more time with me in previous appointments. I noticed and pointed out to him and the tech that both the left central incisor and left lateral incisor seem to have regressed a little in the previous week. I am not sure I understand why he took off the heavier wire with the bends in it a week ago; that seemed to be helping both those teeth straighten up. Maybe he felt it was too much force? But he never tells me much, so that is just a guess. Last week, he had the tech put on a lighter un-bent wire up top, and these teeth both reverted a bit, as they want to rotate.

So, instead of having the two brackets on my central incisors re-positioned today as the tech said I would, I got a heavier wire up top with no bends in it. I am not sure it will make any difference. :(

I talked to the tech about debracing, and it pretty much has to be October 22nd, because of my travel schedule. By that date, my time in braces will have gone anywhere from 2-6 months longer than originally planned, depending on which of the ortho's estimates I go with. The tech said I would get impressions made that day and get my retainers the same day. Yippee!

So, I go again next Monday, October 1, for a final check and who knows what changes, if any, the ortho will make. Then I am out of town visiting family for two weeks, then back for the de-bracing. I really hope things will straighten out a bit more between now and then. I haven't given up hope, but since I really haven't seen many changes for the past six months, I'm not expecting miracles. My bite is better, but I have continued to wear triangle elastics 24/7, and in that regard I am glad for the later de-brace date, in hopes that it keeps my bite from regressing too much.

EmilyTravels

#57 Post by EmilyTravels »

Latest adjustment yesterday -- I think this is the fourth Monday in a row I have been to the ortho!

He looked at my top arch briefly, and I got a new heavier wire with a couple of bends; still in an attempt to finish the final rotation on my stubborn left central incisor. Honestly, I don't think that tooth is ever going to turn. I would love to have it perfectly inline with the rest of the arch, but if it doesn't happen, so be it. It's far better than before I got braces.

We leave for our trip to NC to visit family and for my husband to have a skin cancer removed tomorrow. Ortho said he wanted to see me as soon as we returned, so my next appointment is October 18th. He said he'd do a couple of final tweaks then, and I'll get my braces off sometime before we leave the area on October 30. I told him that I was nervous about cutting it so close and hoped he didn't get sick or take vacation. He said he's not going anywhere. We shall see! The teenager in the next chair yesterday was supposed to get her braces off that day, but one tooth had shifted, so her debrace date got moved out a week. That's a luxury I don't have. Fortunately, whenever it is scheduled, I will get my Essix retainers that same day.

Oh! They also took a mold for my permanent lower retainer yesterday, and I think she said I'd get that at my next appointment. So we are moving forward, and I guess I can finally say that I am getting my braces off THIS month no matter what. :crazy:

EmilyTravels

#58 Post by EmilyTravels »

I got my lower braces removed today! I didn't know that was happening until I called to confirm yesterday. They are not the best at communication in this office, I must say.

Removing the brackets was a breeze. I warned the tech that I had sensitive teeth and to go slow and easy with the glue grinding. It wasn't that bad. I raised my hand a couple of times for a short break. I'd say three times I felt a slight bit of pain, but it was better than I expected. I had taken 2 extra-strength Tylenol, 3 ibuprofen, and half a 5mg Valium (from my mom) before my appointment. No doubt that helped.

After that, she fitted the fixed retainer. I don't have canine teeth on the bottom (they were pulled before braces my first time around, at age 13), so it only goes behind my four lower incisors. It took a loooong time to get that on. I had no idea how involved it was. I was glad to see that this office uses the type that is glued to each tooth, so it will have less of a chance of coming off than the ones that are only bonded at each end. It is also a much thinner wire than others I have seen.

After that, an impression was taken for my bottom Essix retainer. Tech did not tell me that it would be made today, so I could have waited and taken it home with me. Instead, I got a call right after I left and will have to come back in to pick it up. That irked me a bit as I could easily have waited. :-+

They took a bunch of photos of my teeth and arch, and since my uppers are still braced, I guess I'll have to have more photos made at my next appointment, when I get fully debraced.

The ortho put on a new upper wire with some heavy wire ties on my central incisors, which he is still trying to perfect. I honestly don't expect perfection in 10 more days that nearly 14 months in braces couldn't achieve, but c'est la vie.

Next appointment and debrace date is Monday, Oct. 29th, 14 months in and two months longer than predicted. Getting excited!

Here is how the lowers look (note that this is not my bite, I wanted to draw attention to the lowers so jutted them out a bit):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa80gg63die3z ... 8.JPG?dl=0

Gia

#59 Post by Gia »

Hi Emily. Really glad that it was not as bad as you anticipated, and that they let you take a break as needed. I was glad to hear about your experience with the bonded retainer, as if I make it all the way through this it's part of my treatment plan. You must be so pleased with your teeth. Can't wait to see your final pics!

Steph30

#60 Post by Steph30 »

Oooooh! Looking great!!! I'll be majorly dosing myself with meds before removal too! lol...

I Had two brackets (ceramic) removed a while back to be re adjusted... and it was awfulllllllllll! - I felt like she was trying to break my tooth in half :lol:

Needless to say I got an Ativan prescription shortly after that JUST for removal day.. Im gonna be a walking zombie lol

Glad to hear your removal wasn't as bad as expected!!

Couple more days now and you'll be full debraced! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: