Should I change orthodontist?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ddetterline2

Should I change orthodontist?

#1 Post by Ddetterline2 »

I’m suppose to be getting jaw surgery in a year according to my current orthodontist. Although I’m having problems trusting my orthodontist at all. We are 6 months in this process NO mold has been made at all, and she never looks in my mouth she gets her assistance to tighten my braces and then schedules me for 6 weeks. I asked her at my last appointment if she could explain my progress to me and where we are In treatment since my bite has gotten allot worst. My bite use to be able to touch a little with force and now I can’t bite down at all with my teeth touching. So I asked her where I am she says I’m I the beginning stages but how would she know if she never even keeps track of my progress? Also when I asked her to make a mold she tells me she could but my teeth aren’t going to fit and that I need to be patient. I’m not asking for a mold to see if I’m ready for surgery I’m asking for a mold to see what needs to be done in order for my bite to be ready for surgery since I’m a visual learner. I’m genuinely thinking about switching orthodontist because she seems to not be keeping track and gets agitated with my questions and never updates me. There are spaces between my teeth now my bite no longer touches and she isn’t uodating me on anything what so ever. I feel maybe I should switch orthodontist but I don’t want that to delay this process even more so I’m not sure what to do is the way she treating my case normal am I having too high of expectations with her?

Ddetterline2

Re: Should I change orthodontist?

#2 Post by Ddetterline2 »

Also I want to point out her answers change so much. I told her my oral surgeon thought we’d do the surgery this summer and she said she would make a mold to see, so then me going in anticipating the mold after she tells me my problem isn’t my teeth being crooked but my bite positioning to where it needs to be for surgery she then doesn’t make the mold and changes her answer to saying she wants to wait till my teeth are more straight???

Sarah96

#3 Post by Sarah96 »

Sorry to hear that. I don't have a good advice for you, unfortunately. It's normal that your bite is worse now. Before surgery your bite position must be the worst so that in surgery they can make more movements.
Do your surgeon and your orthodontist work together usually? Or is it the first time that they'll work together on a patient? I think it is important for surgeon and ortho to have a teamwork but it seems like they lack this.
I think it is so important to trust your doctors. Maybe you can ask your surgeon for an orthodontist that he usually works together?

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I've seen a couple of your posts going on about the mold. Did your ortho take a mold of your teeth in the begining together with the xrays before starting? From what I understand, the mold that's taken in the begining is the only mold that is taken until just before the surgery where another mold is taken and then you get the surgical hooks in preparation for the surgery. I haven't heard of mid-treatment progressive molds. But that said, if you really want a mold just for a mid-treatment progression tracking for your ortho to visually demonstrate your treatment progress, I suppose you could straight up request and pay for one.

As for whether you should change ortho, I agree with Sarah that it's important that you trust the doctor treating you and it's important too to be able to communicate with your treating doctors what you want out of your treatment. I suggest perhaps you could shortlist a few orthos and seek their opinions on your case and your situation. It would help you get a good gauge of what to expect if you change orthos mid-treatment which would also help you make your decision.

Ddetterline2

#5 Post by Ddetterline2 »

assertives wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:23 am I've seen a couple of your posts going on about the mold. Did your ortho take a mold of your teeth in the begining together with the xrays before starting? From what I understand, the mold that's taken in the begining is the only mold that is taken until just before the surgery where another mold is taken and then you get the surgical hooks in preparation for the surgery. I haven't heard of mid-treatment progressive molds. But that said, if you really want a mold just for a mid-treatment progression tracking for your ortho to visually demonstrate your treatment progress, I suppose you could straight up request and pay for one.

As for whether you should change ortho, I agree with Sarah that it's important that you trust the doctor treating you and it's important too to be able to communicate with your treating doctors what you want out of your treatment. I suggest perhaps you could shortlist a few orthos and seek their opinions on your case and your situation. It would help you get a good gauge of what to expect if you change orthos mid-treatment which would also help you make your decision.
No she hasn’t made a mold at all. Thanks for the response!