Braces after Jaw Fracture at Age 56!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Re: Braces after Jaw Fracture at Age 56!

#31 Post by EmilyTravels »

Well, today's appointment was disappointing. The tech had me open my mouth to see the missing bracket, ortho came over and quickly reapplied it. My mouth was open the whole time, then he said "go rinse", and then he was gone.

Not even a minute to ask him about my progress or potential debracing date. I guess maybe I was booked in for a 10-minute "replace bracket" appointment, and that was it. BUT, the tech. told me to keep my regular adjustment appointment a week from today, so that is good. I hope I get to talk to the ortho at that one. Back in May he seemed to indicate that I'd be out of braces in 2-3 months, and that time is now. :roll:

EmilyTravels

#32 Post by EmilyTravels »

Okay, finally got to talk to my ortho at today's appointment. I impressed upon him that due to upcoming travel reservations (made long ago) + surgery for my husband (minor) and family visits out of state, that I really needed to get these braces wrapped up ASAP. I know he wants to give me the best result possible, and I do appreciate that, but I also have a life to live. Fortunately, I think he got it and is going to work diligently to speed things up to get me out of these things by the end of September, which is still longer than his original prediction of 8-10 months, which he later changed to 12 months. End of September will be 13 months. Still faster than most people, but longer than I had planned. My old teeth just don't wanna move so fast...but I wish he'd given me more forewarning up front that that might be the case.

Today he added triangle elastics for open bite to my class 2 elastics, so I am now wearing four elastics full time. :shock: On the positive side, I now have two more appointments lined up, Aug 20 and Aug 30, and he said after the second one, he said that we should know more about the following appointment or two and really work on getting this done. He still didn't give me a date, but he did seem to think sometime in September is doable. Crossing everything! :crazy:

Speck

#33 Post by Speck »

Sounds encouraging.

Winner gets...

Four elastics! :lol:

I hope it works out! :)
-Andy

EmilyTravels

#34 Post by EmilyTravels »

Thank you, Speck!

I had a terrible headache last night from the pressure from the elastics and slept poorly. I am sure, like with everything else with these braces, that I will feel a lot better in a day or two, but right now, it's not fun. Can barely open my mouth. :(

This too shall pass...right!?

EmilyTravels

#35 Post by EmilyTravels »

Had an adjustment today. Still in the four elastics, full-time, but my bite is so much better when I'm wearing them, that I am glad the ortho didn't discontinue them.

The top wire with lots of bends in it was removed, and he had the tech add a figure 8 wire around my social six, I guess to keep gaps from opening up. Small gaps have opened up in front of each canine since my last appointment, I think because there are two elastics pulling each canine back. These gaps are not very noticeable until I floss.

An .18 ni-cad wire (with no bends) was put in over the figure 8. The tech. (one I've never had before) said the Figure 8 wouldn't hurt, but something sure hurts, because my entire top arch feels a lot of pressure and soreness already, not quite six hours later. She also had a terrible time getting the archwire out of the bracket on my premolar on the right side as the little thing didn't want to open (self-ligating bracket). She had to call another tech over to help. When it came time to put the new wire in, she held the gate open, while the other tech shoved the wire in. I don't recall any problems with this particular bracket before, but it may be a problem child from here on out. Usually it's the bottom arch that are so difficult to open, but there were no changes made there this time.

Ortho wants to see me again in one week. I already had an appointment for the 30th but changed it to the 27th -- fine with me. Next time I need to bug him again about debracing, as he didn't mention it today, and I was scared to ask. There were two younger people getting their braces off today when I was in there, and I felt so envious. That will be me soon, I hope!

Mrcf

#36 Post by Mrcf »

EmilyTravels wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 pm Had an adjustment today. Still in the four elastics, full-time, but my bite is so much better when I'm wearing them, that I am glad the ortho didn't discontinue them.

The top wire with lots of bends in it was removed, and he had the tech add a figure 8 wire around my social six, I guess to keep gaps from opening up. Small gaps have opened up in front of each canine since my last appointment, I think because there are two elastics pulling each canine back. These gaps are not very noticeable until I floss.

An .18 ni-cad wire (with no bends) was put in over the figure 8. The tech. (one I've never had before) said the Figure 8 wouldn't hurt, but something sure hurts, because my entire top arch feels a lot of pressure and soreness already, not quite six hours later. She also had a terrible time getting the archwire out of the bracket on my premolar on the right side as the little thing didn't want to open (self-ligating bracket). She had to call another tech over to help. When it came time to put the new wire in, she held the gate open, while the other tech shoved the wire in. I don't recall any problems with this particular bracket before, but it may be a problem child from here on out. Usually it's the bottom arch that are so difficult to open, but there were no changes made there this time.

Ortho wants to see me again in one week. I already had an appointment for the 30th but changed it to the 27th -- fine with me. Next time I need to bug him again about debracing, as he didn't mention it today, and I was scared to ask. There were two younger people getting their braces off today when I was in there, and I felt so envious. That will be me soon, I hope!
Good to hear that you at the stage of "getting them off". I had a appointment today and it was not time to ask my ortho what are her plains for me. Still have no uppers on. And don't know what teeth should do or should move now. Extraction hole is closed but it looks like there is still not enough room for my teeth to align perfectly. I have to ask her to spent me more time than a quick open, close, mhmm, look good...
2018.04.25. Extraction of lower incisor
2018.05.07. Lower ceramic braces

EmilyTravels

#37 Post by EmilyTravels »

I hear you! My ortho really tells me very little. I have to ask and pull it out of him. I am already over his initial projection of 8-10 months (almost at 12 now - will be in five days) so I do think he owes me a little more info! The thing is, I've already made all my payments, so he isn't getting any more money from me. That shows me that he really does want me to get the best result possible and isn't just in it for money. I appreciate that -- but I also want to know for sure when these things are coming off, as I have life plans coming up closer every day. I never dreamed I'd still be in braces in September. And I refuse to think about October! In June he seemed to think they were coming off this summer! :crazy:

assertives

#38 Post by assertives »

EmilyTravels wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm I hear you! My ortho really tells me very little. I have to ask and pull it out of him. I am already over his initial projection of 8-10 months (almost at 12 now - will be in five days) so I do think he owes me a little more info! The thing is, I've already made all my payments, so he isn't getting any more money from me. That shows me that he really does want me to get the best result possible and isn't just in it for money. I appreciate that -- but I also want to know for sure when these things are coming off, as I have life plans coming up closer every day. I never dreamed I'd still be in braces in September. And I refuse to think about October! In June he seemed to think they were coming off this summer! :crazy:
Since the upcoming life plans are not movable and non-negotiable, perhaps you can tell your ortho that xxx date is the absolute last date you'll be in town and hence you need your retainers by that date. Then ask him to work backwards when to debrace you regardless of whether he thinks you are actually finished or not. You may have to sign some kind of a waiver that you are happy with the results and understand that treatment may not be 100% completed.

Jethro

#39 Post by Jethro »

I agree. By giving a specific removal date, he can make the adjustments he deems most important. Also, talk to him about retainers as most orthos expect you to return several days after debonding to have your retainers fitted. Good luck.

All the Best,

Jethro

EmilyTravels

#40 Post by EmilyTravels »

Totally agree. I have actually already given him my dates two appointments ago, but I don't expect him to remember exactly. I am going to keep reminding him at every appointment. He is seeing me much more frequently now as he does know he needs to do the last few small tweaks. I need to find out how long after debracing I will get retainers and work backwards from there, as you say.

Thanks!

assertives

#41 Post by assertives »

EmilyTravels wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:19 pm Totally agree. I have actually already given him my dates two appointments ago, but I don't expect him to remember exactly. I am going to keep reminding him at every appointment. He is seeing me much more frequently now as he does know he needs to do the last few small tweaks. I need to find out how long after debracing I will get retainers and work backwards from there, as you say.

Thanks!
Alternatively, you can work out some estimates yourself. For e.g., say you are leaving town on 30th Sept, so latest you should get your retainers is 28th Sept, assuming you get your retainers a week after debracing, 21st Sept you must get debraced. You can go to your ortho and tell him you WANT TO BE debraced on 21st Sept and tell him to make whatever changes he needs before that date and to prioritize whatever adjustments that are more important for a functional and stable outcome.

EmilyTravels

#42 Post by EmilyTravels »

assertives wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:43 am Alternatively, you can work out some estimates yourself. For e.g., say you are leaving town on 30th Sept, so latest you should get your retainers is 28th Sept, assuming you get your retainers a week after debracing, 21st Sept you must get debraced. You can go to your ortho and tell him you WANT TO BE debraced on 21st Sept and tell him to make whatever changes he needs before that date and to prioritize whatever adjustments that are more important for a functional and stable outcome.
Yes, this is what I am going to do. I know my dates, and I have mentioned them to him but not sure he remembers the exact details since then. I'm going in on Monday so hopefully he will be understanding. Thanks!

EmilyTravels

#43 Post by EmilyTravels »

Had my adjustment today. They could not glue on the bracket I lost for the 4th time (bottom left molar with crown) because their sanitation system (for suction, air, light tools, the ones that are attached to the station) was on the fritz. Never heard of that :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fortunately, ortho was fine with my make-do elastics on that side, since the other side is where I have more of an open bite and overjet, so he said to keep wearing the four elastics and just hook the ones on the side with the missing bracket to the one in front of it, and he'll glue back the missing bracket at my next appointment in two weeks.

Talked to the tech. about retainer timeframe. She said that they can do a "rush" for situations like mine where time is of an essence, so I could have my retainers in 1-2 days instead of a week+. She made a note in my file about that. That will help, especially if debracing day moves out to October 1st. We're leaving the state on October 3 but will be back two weeks later, so I could have a retainer check-up if I got them before we left. Then we leave permanently on Nov. 1st, so all has to be done by then.

I reminded the ortho of my dates, and he said he's still shooting for end of September. So, that was good. I would have felt better with a set date, but that doesn't seem to be his style.

I got a heavier wire on top. He is still working on rotating my left central incisor, which has been my most stubborn tooth. Next appointment he will put in a lighter wires with bend in it up top (not sure about bottom).

If all goes well, that may be my last adjustment -- or worst case, second to last.

Tomorrow will be exactly one year in braces, and I plan to take photos. I've come far in a year but honestly expected to be out of braces by now, so I am a little disappointed. :(

Speck

#44 Post by Speck »

Yeesh, talk about down to the wire with treatment (bad pun intentional). Haha

Strikes me as a bit odd the ortho is cool with leaving a bracket off a tooth, especially when time is short.
-Andy

EmilyTravels

#45 Post by EmilyTravels »

Speck wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:17 pm Yeesh, talk about down to the wire with treatment (bad pun intentional). Haha

Strikes me as a bit odd the ortho is cool with leaving a bracket off a tooth, especially when time is short.
Yeah, I was a little surprised, but he is happy with my bite on that side, so I guess it was not as big a deal as if it had been on the other side. It's the molar so only really important at this point as a place to hook my class 2 elastic.

They are only in the office I go to on Mondays and are closed next week for Labor day, which is why the wait is two weeks. It was just bad luck about the sanitation system being on the fritz. Since the entire staff is only in that particular office (they move between three cities) on Mondays, I guess they got there this morning to found it out of order. If I had had an afternoon appointment, it might have been fixed. Bad luck! :-+